Unnecessary Transcoding H.264>H.264

MayorRAZZ
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

MayorRAZZ

Server knows that the device is eligible for direct play according to the logs but only gives transcode options anyway.

server:

custom build x86 hardware

ubuntu 18.04

emby 3.4.1.0

athlon 5350

emby runs from behind a nginx proxy (if deemed necessary will post configurations)

client:

sony xperia z3

android 6.0.1

snapdragon 801  (hevc supported)

same result for my samsung my s7 edge, transcode options are set to default.

logs included but cut

first post here thank you in advance

post-332364-0-40282200-1531774370_thumb.png

Log server cut.txt

log transcode cut.txt

post-332364-0-90263000-1531775404_thumb.jpg

Edited by MayorRAZZ

Hi, it looks like this is the mobile web app on an android device, is that correct?

You have the in-app quality setting set to about 4 mbps. the video has a bitrate of over 8 mbps. That's why it is transcoding.

MayorRAZZ

You have the in-app quality setting set to about 4 mbps. the video has a bitrate of over 8 mbps. That's why it is transcoding.

yes its the android mobile app, the option "auto direct" wasn't given so my friend went with a low option anyway to restrict bandwidth

Edited by MayorRAZZ

MayorRAZZ

i tried restarting the server but the issue stood, however after some time the auto direct option became available again on android devices. i think the reappearance was triggered by watching another direct play eligible video.

post-332364-0-77868300-1531777948_thumb.png

• Solution

Auto is always available, that's what you're looking for. The little marker that you see on the right where it might say "Direct", that is the end result of selecting Auto, and what Auto gave you. Just like the Youtube design in other words.

• Like 1

MayorRAZZ

Auto is always available, that's what you're looking for. The little marker that you see on the right where it might say "Direct", that is the end result of selecting Auto, and what Auto gave you. Just like the Youtube design in other words.

yeah ok what i meant with "auto direct" is just direct play.

i think i understand where it went wrong, my network must have had a slow hiccup which resulted in the apps choosing for a transcode option with lower bitrate. the direct options isnt available by itself (am i right?) and thus it disappeared.

Edited by MayorRAZZ

pir8radio

yeah ok what i meant with "auto direct" is just direct play.

i think i understand where it went wrong, my network must have had a slow hiccup which resulted in the apps choosing for a transcode option with lower bitrate. the direct options isnt available by itself (am i right?) and thus it disappeared.

No what luke was saying is auto is always an option it won't disappear.   But when in auto mode emby runs a quick speed test between the client and your emby server and the result of that speed test is what sets the transcode setting..  So if your network was slow, that speed test could have came back with 4mbps and then that's what the bitrate gets set too, and it would transcode.   If that makes sense.   I'm not sure what "AUTO DIRECT" you are talking about.   I've never seen that option on the client side. 

Edited by pir8radio