larsonDigital

larsonDigital

Hello,

I’m trying to figure out if Emby will work as my Media Server at home, and so I have a question:  What I’m looking for is the ability to stream music (a very large collection), photos (also large), and movies (in that order of preference) from my home server (Windows Server 2016) both on my local home network and remotely (across the internet) to PCs, Android, iOS, TVs, Playstation, etc. Will Emby be a good choice for me?

Secondary question: Does Emby support lossless audio?

Thanks for your help!

James

Hi, yes Emby supports all of those, as well as lossless audio. Please let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks !

larsonDigital

Thanks for the reply Luke!  Terrific!!  Just to clarify, my biggest concern is Emby not being able to handle a large music library well.  I was going to use PLEX, but I've heard from too many people that there's quite a lag trying to get PLEX to display all the music in a large library; it can be pretty slow I guess and I've heard of PLEX even crashing in a few cases.  Does Emby struggle in this way at all?

Spaceboy

Also, when you compare you often find things aren’t as large as you thought they were when looking at it on its own [emoji23]

larsonDigital

Thanks legallink!  I will check with @pir8radio.

Thanks to you too Spaceboy!  I know I have a zipped up file for each album too mixed in there with them, so you're probably right, I probably only have 1TB of actual music files, as opposed to 2TB; and I guess that should help as long as Emby just skips over zipped, rar, etc. type files.

larsonDigital

Great, thanks again for your help legallink!  I'm assuming that if you're using the Emby app on local network (not remotely), the app accesses the server on the local network so it's faster than going across the Internet, right?

darkassassin07

I have been using emby to stream music 8 hours a day 5 days a week for several months now. Its been great, I'm using a relatively slow public wifi and haven't had any real issues. At least none that weren't my own fault...

The UI is quick and responsive, navigation is pretty good, and emby recognizes + downloads metadata including images for artists/albums.

I have around 15k songs so its not a massive library but others don't seem to have any problems

larsonDigital

Hi darkassassin07,

Thanks for your input on this; that helps a lot!  So that means you are streaming music from your own Emby media server to a device on a public Internet connection?  That's not bad at all!  Cool!!

mastrmind11

Just google "convert dvd to mkv" and pick a free one.

edit:  assuming you mean video and not audio dvds, though this topic is about music collection, so maybe search for "convert dvd to mp3"  in that case? :shrug:

Edited by mastrmind11

larsonDigital

Hey everybody,

So I took the plunge and am trying Emby today.  Thanks for your help getting here.   :) My first thoughts are: there's a lot more that can be configured/customized than I thought!  So far I'm relatively impressed.  Couple questions for you if you can help:

1. What is Emby Connect all about?  I don't understand it purpose.
  2. Upon initial configuration, I started with a Music Library but I disabled (turned off) all the Metadata Fetchers because I didn't want anything changing my music files because I'm pretty thorough in filling out my tags the way I like them and every file has a album cover already, etc.  However, do Metadata Fetchers actually write anything to the media files themselves?  Or is this info saved in the SQL database?  Or does it just fetch it on the fly and cache it for that session?
  3. The Emby app for Android is free, but the Emby Theater for Windows is not?  Kinda strange.

As always, any help here would be great!

Thanks again,

James

Hi, welcome @@larsonDigital. I can help answer these.

1. What is Emby Connect all about?  I don't understand it purpose.

Emby Connect can make it easier to connect to your Emby Server while away from home. To learn more, please check out our wiki article:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby%20Connect

Let us know if you have other questions.

However, do Metadata Fetchers actually write anything to the media files themselves?  Or is this info saved in the SQL database? 

We don't write anything to your media files. We save metadata into the sqlite database.

1. The Emby app for Android is free, but the Emby Theater for Windows is not?  Kinda strange.

That's just what we chose at the time for the two apps based upon the market. It is something we constantly re-evaluate. 

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

larsonDigital

Thanks for the help Luke!  I really appreciate it!!

Can you tell me the location of the sqlite database?  I want to move it with a symlink.

Thanks again,

James

larsonDigital

So that would be this folder? C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata

Is it possible to symlink the entire programdata folder to a different location, or would that not be a good idea?

If you explore the server's library configuration, you can set the metadata path from there.

larsonDigital

Are you talking about here?

5b61d672b13f4_Library.jpg

So, if I understand it correctly, I change the Metadata path for all of Emby Media Server at: Settings > Library > Advanced (tab) > Metadata path.

And, the SQL database is located here: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata\metadata

Is that right?

Thanks,

James

that will only change the path for the metadata folder. the sql databases are under /data and are not configurable.

larsonDigital

Right, okay, great!  But I can move the SQL database with a symlink command, if I need to, right?

larsonDigital

Okay, I can test it out, no problem.  Thanks for letting me know.

So what does the Metadata Manager do?  There are a whole lot of options here.

5b61e041c195c_MetadataManager.jpg