New FreeBSD package for testing

Luke

We're pleased to announce a brand new FreeBSD package for Emby Server. Here are the highlights and advantages over the current package:

• Fewer installation steps
  • New releases will be immediately available
  • Beta builds will now also be immediately available just like other platforms !
  • Currently based on mono, but we'll be switching to .NET Core as soon as it's available for FreeBSD. Keep an eye on: https://github.com/dotnet/corefx/issues/1626

Installation

See https://emby.media/download

Notes

The system user, group, and program data locations are configurable in the package. We will have instructions on how to do this soon. The ffmpeg build are also configurable if you'd like to supply your own. We don't recommend this, and we may not be able to troubleshoot your personal build, but I know this is important to the original package developer so I wanted to make this available.

Important

If you're worried about disrupting your current installation, then you may want to use a custom program data path so that it essentially becomes a fresh install. 

• Like 5

This is vanilla FreeBSD. For those who run FreeNAS, we will be building a package for that as well, so stay tuned. Thanks !

• Like 4

adrianwi

I've tested this on FreeNAS 11.1 by creating an iocage jail running FreeBSD 11.1 and then running the pkg commands.

Worked fine, and once I'd mounted my configuration and media datasets seems to perform just as well as the much longer method using ports.

Only difference I could see is that the emby folder was at /var/db/emby while the other method it's at /var/db/emby-server but that doesn't matter as I'm mapping to an external dataset.

UPDATE

Actually, once I started using it on my aTV client I started noticing some weird stuff with the images.  Had a quick look at the log file and there are lots of errors, some of which could be down to the different location for emby v emby-server.  It could also be a version issue as my old jail was on .32 and the new one .33.  

I've switched back to using the old one and all is fine again!

I've attached a log file :D

embyserver.txt

Edited by adrianwi
  • Like 1

We promised new betas would be immediately available, and so I've updated the instructions to update to beta 3.4.1.34. Thanks guys.

@@adrianwi, would you mind repeating your test and providing a server log? I am curious about something I noticed in yours that we're not seeing on our test system. Thanks.

adrianwi

Should a pkg update & pkg upgrade work?

I can answer that myself now, no!

That just updated the following:

nstalled packages to be UPGRADED:
	mono: 5.10.1.47_5 -> 5.10.1.47_6
	harfbuzz: 1.8.2 -> 1.8.3

I had to run the pkg add for emby as below, and did notice a mismatch:

root@emby:~ # pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.4.1.34/emby-server-freebsd_3.4.1.34_amd64.txz
[emby] Fetching emby-server-freebsd_3.4.1.34_amd64.txz: 100%   16 MiB   2.4MB/s    00:07    
[emby] Installing emby-server-3.4.1.34_1...
Newer FreeBSD version for package emby-server:
To ignore this error set IGNORE_OSVERSION=yes
- package: 1102000
- running kernel: 1101001
Allow missmatch now?[Y/n]: Y
package emby-server is already installed, forced install
===> Creating groups.
Using existing group 'emby'.
===> Creating users
Using existing user 'emby'.
[emby] Extracting emby-server-3.4.1.34_1: 100%

Log file attached, which is still showing lots of errors I don't recognise from my other emby jail and some of the images still didn't display correctly

embyserver_anon.txt

Edited by adrianwi
  • Like 1

No, you'll have to repeat the original install steps, well, just the second one.

Does this file exist?

/var/db/emby-server/metadata/library/15/15ee94462a905543b14769426b701281/poster.jpg

Then i wonder if the new server installation doesn't have access to it, seeing as how that file was created by the older package.

adrianwi

I have a dataset on my FreeNAS box at /mnt/pool/embydb which has permissions of emby:emby (989:989) and is mounted into both the old jail and the new one using identical fstab entries to /var/db/emby-server.  

The emby user:group in both jails matches up and the permissions look identical when viewing the dataset from inside the jails.

So both jails should have the same access to the files/folder in /mnt/pool/embydb.

Will leave further testing of this to others though!

Edited by adrianwi

Ok that's what it looks like to me. In reality this will only be a temporary issue. Granted it might be painful initially, but as people stop using the older package then we gradually won't have to worry about it anymore.

The mismatch you saw on update is because we're building the package on FreeBSD 11.2 and you're running 11.1. You can ignore it.

Also I've updated the instructions to change x264 to libx264, which will reduce the amount of dependencies that get pulled in.

diogee

Also having an issue with images. Appears they are trying to load from the original /var/db/emby-server/ folder rather than now /var/db/emby/ with this package.

I've changed my rc script for now to use the old location and they are loading fine once again!

• Like 1

makarai

I also performed my typical setup.

Installed emby: the way you described

added emby premium key

installed server config backup

restarted server

restore prior configuration: error Invalid date.

Log does not show any errors.

makarai

Hi Luke, i retried the installation again with the 3.5.0.0 version and did not encounter an error. I'll post some more details here in case someone wants to follow.

#emby on freenas
#create jail,  hi (+) button add FreeBSD 11.1, select/tick on dhcp and vnet, start, open shell

pkg install mono libass fontconfig freetype2 fribidi gnutls iconv opus samba48 sqlite3 libtheora libva libvorbis webp libx264 libzvbi

#add the user UID i want on freenas (typically the one owns the mm datasets)
pw useradd -n emby -u 1000 -d /nonexistent -s /usr/sbin/nologin
pw usermod emby -n emby -u 1000
pw usermod emby -n emby -g 1000

pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.5.0.0/emby-server-freebsd_3.5.0.0_amd64.txz

service emby-server onestart 
Edited by makarai