Direct paths on Android

Davide

Davide

I hope it's the right section of the forum.

I have enabled SMB on Windows 10, I have shared the folders on the local network, I have set the paths in Emby... and so far everything is ok.
If I install Emby on Kodi on another Windows PC, activating the direct paths, everything works, but if I'm on Android (I tested on Xiaomi Mi Box and Amazon FireTV Stick) I get the error "Kodi can not find the file", if I continue syncing, when it is finished, all files are "not available".

Is there any specific passage to use this function on Android?

hoppel118

How did you configure your network paths in emby?

If you used the hostname, try to use the ip address instead. This works for me on all platforms (Windows 10, AppleTV 4k, Nvidia Shield TV and LibreElec. I also had problems with Android and LibreElec in the past, while it worked fine on Windows 10.

If you use the hostname, you need a fully functional dns.

Regards Hoppel

Davide

How did you configure your network paths in emby?

Like this, for example:

OjqripY.png

and as I said so it works on Windows, but not on Android.

So I should replace it with "\\MyIpAddress\film" right?

hoppel118

Yes, I had the same problems with android. If I remember right, you have to resync your library.

Davide

I did, I have not tried on Android yet, but with the IP address does not work on Windows... so even if it works on Android I would have the problem "Kodi can not find the file" on Windows.

Thanks anyway

hoppel118

Sorry, but with the IP address it should work on all platforms. Did you resync your library?

Please try, if it works with the IP address on android. Don’t forget to resync.

Edited by hoppel118

Angelblue05

Yes, with ip it should work on all platforms. If it doesn't work on Windows, it is likely something else. If you use network credentials, make sure your passwords.xml (in the kodi userdata) has the ip assigned, not the host name.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Then something else is wrong. Check your Kodi log, to validate the path is correctly set. When you playback, it should print the path it tries and fails to play.

Edited by Angelblue05

Davide

Then something else is wrong. Check your Kodi log, to validate the path is correctly set. When you playback, it should print the path it tries and fails to play.

Yes, sorry, I was responding to the other user, I had not seen your post...

My password.xml is like that:

<passwords>
  <path>
    <from pathversion="1">smb://192.168.1.10/</from>
    <to pathversion="1">smb://email@[member="outlook"].com:password@[member="192.168.1.1"]0/</to>
  </path>
  <path>
    <from pathversion="1">smb://Desktop/</from>
    <to pathversion="1">smb://email@[member="outlook"].com:password@Desktop/</to>
  </path>
</passwords>
it's correct? Edited by Davide

Angelblue05

Hum I don't think so. Maybe? What I recommend is to navigate to your content in Kodi. The easiest way is to go via the add-on install from zip, smb > navigate to your content, does Kodi have access? It should prompt you if you need to enter the credentials.

You could also try to just delete the passwords.xml. Restart Kodi and see if it works then. Maybe the credentials are not needed at all. And that's what is causing Kodi to fail to find the file.

Edited by Angelblue05

Davide

The easiest way is to go via the add-on install from zip, smb > navigate to your content, does Kodi have access?

On Android the screen is empty, on Windows I see my shared folders.

You could also try to just delete the passwords.xml. Restart Kodi and see if it works then. Maybe the credentials are not needed at all. And that's what is causing Kodi to fail to find the file.

It does not change anything
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Sounds like a samba issue. It's possible you have smb v2 or 3 enabled but not v1 which I think Android still uses smb v1 (maybe). Without a log it's hard to tell you what you can do.

Why do you need to use native path anyway? Why not use add-on playback, which is guaranteed to work out of the box in the event Kodi has trouble accessing your paths.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

I've been reading the kodi forums, here what I found: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=329883&page=2

Kodi Krypton on Android still uses smb v1. This is disabled in Windows 10 (after the creator update). So you have two choices. Either you switch to add-on playback. Or enable smb v1 on Windows (unsecured). Hope this helps.

Edited by Angelblue05

Davide

Sounds like a samba issue. It's possible you don't have smb v2 or 3 enabled? I think Android still uses smb v1 (maybe). Without a log it's hard to tell you what you can do.

I have attached the log

Why do you need to use native path anyway?

For an addons, LazyTV... I would need it for a skin.

Kodi Krypton on Android still uses smb v1. This is disabled in Windows 10 (after the creator update). So you have two choices. Either you switch to add-on playback. Or enable smb v1 on Windows (unsecured). Hope this helps.

I already have activated the support for SMB V1.

kodi.log

Angelblue05

I don't see an attempt to play in your log. Enable Kodi debug just incase and try again.

Ah you are on Kodi Leia. Don't know of the situation on Android as they don't have a dev anymore.

Edited by Angelblue05

Davide

I don't see an attempt to play in your log. Enable Kodi debug just incase and try again.

Here is another log. I tried to play a movie, but I got the error "This file is no longer availabre."

kodi.log

Angelblue05

Ok it also doesn't display the path it tried. Can you switch to add-on playback mode. Reset/Resync.

Try to get direct play to work with force http disabled (in the add-on settings > playback). The reason I'm suggesting this is because with this mode, it retrieves the path in real time. So you can try different things without having to reset in between. Then when direct plays works, you can switch back to native mode and it should work.

Edited by Angelblue05

Davide

Ok it also doesn't display the path it tried. Can you switch to add-on playback mode. Reset/Resync.

Try to get direct play to work with force http disabled (in the add-on settings > playback). The reason I'm suggesting this is because with this mode, it retrieves the path in real time. So you can try different things without having to reset in between. Then when direct plays works, you can switch back to native mode and it should work.

Here is the log, but I do not know if it's okay...

I can not try to play anything, I have this error:

“This file in no longer available.

Would you like to remove it from your library?”

kodi.log

Angelblue05

Switch to add-on playback mode like I said. It's the only way to get to the bottom of this, since Kodi itself doesn't allow to move forward. Check my post you quoted, I described what you should do.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Ok, I will have a look in a few hours. Hopefully it will help get further to the bottom of this. :)

Davide

As I said I needed to use native path for a add-on (LazyTV) for a skin, to be able to set the LazyTV playlist with the next up episodes as a widget, looking for a solution I discovered I could get the same widget with the add-on "Skin Helper Service Widgets" and add-on playback.

Thanks anyway for trying to help me, but the direct paths it's not necessary any more :D

• Like 2

Angelblue05

Awesome.

I checked your logs and I now realize I deleted the log line that would show the path :)

It's still complaining about not being able to find the file. But at least now Kodi can access the file via your server. Maybe we can revisit this at a later time.

Anyway, glad you have playback working in the end.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2