Live TV on Dreamlink T1+

Cybergy

Cybergy

I setup my first Emby server today on a Windows 10 PC (8 core CPU, 20GB RAM and SSD).  After configuring my IPTV M3U source, I installed the Emby app on my Dreamlink T1+.

Viewing live TV via the providers TNT app, The performance is pretty good.  However if I try to connect to the Emby sever using the Emby app, the interface is so slow it is unusable.  A simple click down in the EPG can take 5 or more seconds to respond.  After a while the entire EPG stops responding.  On the server via browser the EPG performance is ok, but not so on the Dreamlink T1+.

Any thought on what can be wrong or how I can diagnose what the issue is?

I really wanted to the option to record a few shows but the simple act of setting the recording breaks down entirely.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Cybergy

Cybergy

Over 3,000 comes with the subscription. I only want about 30 of them but I haven’t found a way to reduce the list yet.

Cybergy

If I use the Emby app on my iPhone the interface is very snappy. Excellent performance.

maegibbons

Which Emby app are you using because that box does not appear to be Android TV certified?

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

Over 3,000 comes with the subscription. I only want about 30 of them but I haven’t found a way to reduce the list yet.

You can edit the m3u file with an editor such as Notepad ++ and remove all  the lines relating to channels you done want.  Its very easy.

Krs

Mark

Cybergy

Ok I’ll try that. Was reading in the forum that people have edited their m3u files and Emby ignores it? So I didn’t try.

There’s a whole lot of info for a new guy to take in here. A bit overwhelming at times. I don’t like to ask a question when the answer is here somewhere but holy, there’s a lot to digest.

Cybergy

Looks like my android tv is running Emby 2.9.92

Oddly, the Emby server under devices, sees it as "Emby for Android Mobile"

Edited by Cybergy

Cybergy

I edited out thousands of channels, saved my m3u, loaded into Emby and restarted the Emby server.  From both the server view (via browser) and Emby theater app on the same server, all the channels are still there.

It appears that Emby does indeed ignore the m3u file edits unfortunately.

maegibbons

It does NOT ignore it.  Make sure you change the name of the m3u file AND change the name in the m3u tuner under Live TV.

Then restart the server.  I do this A LOT.!!

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

Looks like my android tv is running Emby 2.9.92

Oddly, the Emby server under devices, sees it as "Emby for Android Mobile"

Ok so you are running the Mobile Version.

What version of Android is running on your box?

If 5.0 or Later you should be able to run the "Android TV" version which is completely different app and made for TV use..

Krs

Mark

Cybergy

How do I rename the tuner?

I can choose the tuner type from a pull-down menu (m3u of course), and I have changed the file name several times as I reduce the content of the file (eg; edited, edited-small, edited-no-radio, etc).

Then I only have an option for "user agent" and SAVE.  I do not see a way to rename - other than the name or the m3u file.

EDIT:  Ok, I think you are saying to rename the m3u file, and the file path accordingly to open the new file.  I did that, and restarted server.  Still have over 4,000 channels.  However there are only 3 channels in the m3u file.

Edited by Cybergy

Cybergy

What version of Android is running on your box?

If 5.0 or Later you should be able to run the "Android TV" version which is completely different app and made for TV use..

Dreamlink T1+ runs kitkat 4.4

maegibbons

How do I rename the tuner?

I can choose the tuner type from a pull-down menu (m3u of course), and I have changed the file name several times as I reduce the content of the file (eg; edited, edited-small, edited-no-radio, etc).

Then I only have an option for "user agent" and SAVE.  I do not see a way to rename - other than the name or the m3u file.

EDIT:  Ok, I think you are saying to rename the m3u file, and the file path accordingly to open the new file.  I did that, and restarted server.  Still have over 4,000 channels.  However there are only 3 channels in the m3u file.

Have you gone in to scheduled tasks and run "Refresh Guide"?

Krs

Mark

Cybergy

Have you gone in to scheduled tasks and run "Refresh Guide"?

No, I just clicked "refresh guide data" underneath TV Guide Data Providers of the Live TV settings.

Perhaps a full uninstall of Emby server is required?

Edited by Cybergy

maegibbons

Dreamlink T1+ runs kitkat 4.4

Then its really very old and not really that suited to the task.

Would suggest you get a Fire TV (Gen2 Preferably)  or Xiaomi MI Box or Shield TV if you want good results.

Your box is just not really supported.

Krs

Mark

maegibbons

No, I just clicked "refresh guide data" underneath TV Guide Data Providers of the Live TV settings.

Perhaps a full uninstall of Emby server is required?

It shouldnt be but I am at a loss as to why you are having this issue.

Krs

Mark

Cybergy

Your box is just not really supported.

Ok, I understand.

But I am treating the guide data and channels as a separate issue, as they appear in the server directly.

maegibbons

You could try deleting the Tuner, restarting emby and re-adding the m3u tuner.

Krs

Mark

Cybergy

I have tried deleting the tuner, guide data, etc and restarting many times.  Something was amiss.

A full uninstall and setup from scratch using the 3-channel m3u file seems to have worked.  Interestingly, now when I hit "refresh guide data" there is a green progress bar so I know there is progress.  I did not see that previously.  I will step up to the slightly larger m3u file and see how that goes.

I have not yet added my local media files to the menus just yet.  Keeping it simple until I can find out where it broke.

Edited by Cybergy
  • Like 1

Cybergy

After reducing to 3 m3u channels, the mobile app on my Dreamcast T1+ also works fairly well.  Miles better than it was anyway.  I had a channel freeze up but I do not yet know why that was.

At least it is usable enough for me to continue trying it all out.

maegibbons

Ok

Thats good.  Let us know how you get on.

Krs

Mark

Cybergy

I have now loaded the original edited list of about 40 channels.  Early going but seems to work well (in Emby theater) except the icons don't match for a few channels.  I'll search around on that one.

I don't suppose there is some sort of backup for channel mapping?  An arduous task over and over again.

Perhaps I just need to look into alternative plugins for Live TV.  I don't understand the point of the Live TV plugins thus far.  More reading for me I think!

The main point of the plugins is that they can help add support for additional tuner hardware that emby doesn't support natively. It's not something you'd need for an m3u tuner.

Cybergy

Bingo!  Thank you for clarifying that Luke!

A lot of people talking about HomeRun, etc and I have no interest in running those elements for my purposes.  Just a straight up IPTV m3u source.