TrueHD audio Xbox One X

Armymedic91

Armymedic91

I am having trouble playing a 4K video with TrueHD or Atmos audio. While playing the video I can switch to Dolby Digital 5.1 and it plays fine when I switch the audio track to TrueHD the video still plays but no audio. I have my Xbox One X plugged into my Onkyo receiver directly into an HDMI 2.2 input. Anyone have any insight into this. Thanks.

Armymedic91

Luke, please see attached Log files from the two videos that I tried playing. I have skimmed them and didn't see anything that stands out.

To verify I have my Xbox One X hooked directly into my Onkyo NR656 receiver in the 2.2 slot. Unless there is a setting in the Xbox that I am unaware of (went through the audio settings) my receiver should automatically decode the signal correct? Thanks in advance.

Log 2.txt

Log.txt

Ok so first things first, the app cannot pass TrueHD to your receiver. Yes the Xbox One supports that, but right now Microsoft is not making that feature available to third party apps @@FrostByte.

So that means we have to use the server to convert the audio on the fly, and it looks like on your machine this is happening so slowly that it's not even going to be playable.

What kind of machine is your server installed on?

Armymedic91

I am running with a run of the mill home PC.

It has a i3-4170 @ 3.70GHz

8GB RAM

64bit

Windows 10

I run Plex off of it fine with 3-4 transcodes. When I start up the Emby server it seems to bog down quite a bit. The reason I am trying to switch to Emby is I can direct play these movies on the Plex app on my Samsung TV with 7.1 audio. The problem I have is the App is on the tv and using the ARC that goes from the TV to my receiver wont send the TrueHD or Atmos signal because its not an eARC or something like that. So basically Emby was a shot at getting something that would direct play on my Xbox and passthrough the audio. My next step may be a Nvidia Shield.

Edited by Armymedic91

Sorry, I took another look at your logs. The reason for the slow performance is that we're converting the video, but on Xbox One X supports hevc so it should be direct playing. Are you sure these logs are from Xbox One X playback? Do you have the corresponding emby server log? thanks.

Armymedic91

So I'm at work and was remoting in to pull those last ones. When I went to the &appdata% folder, and then to the Emby folder I did not see a logs folder. Will take a look now.

Armymedic91

Disregard. Found the logs. Getting them now. I'll just pull all of them. I did have to change some server settings to get the video to direct play, can't remember what I did to do it but I found the solution here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Gohlas

I am having the same problem with trueHD and AAC 7.1. It is direct playing audio and video and not transcoding the audio on my Xbox one S.

I am having the same problem with trueHD and AAC 7.1. It is direct playing audio and video and not transcoding the audio on my Xbox one S.

Hi, there's no way that it should be direct playing truehd. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks.

• 3 years later...
DrewNeilson
On 7/9/2018 at 1:32 PM, Luke said:

the app cannot pass TrueHD to your receiver. Yes the Xbox One supports that, but right now Microsoft is not making that feature available to third party apps @@FrostByte.

So that means we have to use the server to convert the audio on the fly

Can I get an update on whether or not Emby can pass TrueHD and the plethora of other bitstreamed formats--DTS Core, DTS HD High Resolution, DTS HD Master Audio, DTS:X (which, if I understand correctly, is delivered via DTS HD Master Audio), Dolby Digital+ (eAC3), Dolby TrueHD, and Dolby Atmos (which can be delivered via either eAC3 or Dolby TrueHD)--now that Xbox One and Series X|S consoles now have optional passthrough audio bitstreaming? It's already been established that Emby can pass AC3 bitstreams through. I just tried playing an MKV of a 4K UHD Blu-ray. The MKV had not been changed since I ripped it, and I ripped all of the video, audio, and subtitle tracks. I tried playing it with its Atmos audio track (which is technically a TrueHD 7.1 track with embedded Atmos metadata), and my Emby server was forced to transcode the audio track to AC3 5.1 and the video track to h.264. Next, I changed to one of the AC3 audio tracks, and Emby passed both the audio and video without transcoding.

Edited by DrewNeilson

• 3 weeks later...
smgsmagus

this will probably make me to move from Shield to Xbox Series X finally, as seems the only advantage of Shield at the moment.