Which do you think is better plex or emby

Davidm30

Spaceboy

Posting that on a emby forum you’re only likely to get one answer aren’t you? I would hope! [emoji3]

• Like 7

drashna

When it works right, Emby. 
It has more features, more customization, the ability to manage user accounts (plex has "guests" and home users that are ONLY accessible on the local network), and the transcoding is better, even when on the same settings. 

However, I don't know if it's that I have a large library, but 3.4 doesn't work for me.  It can take 5+ minutes to show any videos, if ever.  But 3.3 was working fine, but now I'm having issues with the library scans. 

Also, I get weird access is denied errors when emby scans, but I can access the storage just fine, when this happens. 

To the point, that I've been considering switching to plex, until this stuff gets sorted out.

darkassassin07

One of the biggest reasons I switched from plex to emby is the user management and authentication.

With plex in order to log in to your own server you must first be redirected to plexs' public servers (plex.tv) to authenticate. This means if you cant access that site you cannot log into your server.

Once you get past that in order to use apps you need a plex pass (emby premier equivalent) but that is account specific not server wide.

You can create a 'plex home' with several users that can all use the plex pass but you have to give out your login details for those users to be able to log in or you have to sign in to every device that they want to use for them (and re-sign in once that login expires). You can also add other plex accounts as users so that they have their own login details but they all need their own plex pass.

I was also having some problems with music streaming failing in the middle of songs or not moving to the next song. I posted about it on the forums an spent a couple months trying to sort it out but got little to no help. Met with complete indifference.

Edited by darkassassin07

Guest asrequested

I've never tried plux, I mean plex (sounds like clear acrylic). But everything I read about it, just sux. I haven't read anything I like about.

Jdiesel

Once you get past that in order to use apps you need a plex pass (emby premier equivalent) but that is account specific not server wide.

You can create a 'plex home' with several users that can all use the plex pass but you have to give out your login details for those users to be able to log in or you have to sign in to every device that they want to use for them (and re-sign in once that login expires). You can also add other plex accounts as users so that they have their own login details but they all need their own plex pass.

This was the main reason I switched over. Lots of other reasons but this was the deciding factor for me.

legallink

+1 to @@darkassassin07 response.  In general I want the provider to have and be collecting as little information as possible on me.  I'm not a fan of having to work through their servers all the time.

Also I have a high opinion on the involvement of the dev teams in the forums.  Not always the cuddliest of responses, but the responses are frequent and it clearly demonstrates their desire to hear what the community has to say about the platform as well as work to solve issues.  I've had them help solve multiple issues that were not problems at large, but just problems related to my specific instance.

And while the wild platform expansion was a little bit painful to live through, it's impressive to see how many platforms are supported.  Now we are more in to the fine tuning era I think and that's been great.

Lastly, for me, it's Live TV.  I've had minor issues over the last couple of years with it, but on the whole it's been pretty solid.  Emby paid for itself maybe 5 months in at today's prices (1 month in at when I bought lifetime).  Not having to have a DVR from my ISP saves me a solid $30 - $40 /month.  That and I prefer having an apple tv sooooo much more than having to use my TV Remote/Verizon Remote/AV Remote.  Granted the Apple TV isn't anything amazing, but it's better than what I had before (well, actually I preferred the Roku that I had before the ATV, but WAF won in this arena).  Big caveat (and I think this caveat applies to Plex as well), encrypted channels aren't supported.

I think plex does Live TV as well, but I haven't tried it and I've heard enough "it doesn't work" to not worry about switching.  I would assume it actually does work, but Emby's works well enough that I'm not looking to see if there's may work as well as Emby, because I doubt it works much better.

• Like 1

dansblackcat

I've used both.  There was no real problem with Plex for me I just much prefer Emby.

Emby devs are way more active on the forums and an unanswered post is pretty much non-existent.

• Like 2

snorkel

I have a plex lifetime and the server part is good, the clients and the DVR interface suck.

Plex has support for Haupauge PCIe tuner cards in Linux and it works great and has on the fly transcode while recording. Emby not so much.

The emby clients are much much better, the plex ones all look different and have different/less/more features.

I do reserve the right to switch back to Plex if they ever get the DVR interface as nice as Emby.

AgileHumor

I only use Plex for my Amazon Fire Kids Devices (Emby App pulled per Amazon's directive).  Emby rocks so much better (user, media management, look, not needing their servers involved to load an app).

WilhelmStroker

Emby for me. Functionality wise I don't have a preference, but not having to go through plex servers to authenticate, a regularly updated UWP app and most importantly support by the devs make Emby stand out over Plex.

adrianwi

When I switched over to emby about 9 months ago, I still thought Plex had a better UI and was a more pleasant overall experience.  Now, I think I prefer using emby and some of the performance improvements of late have certainly helped.  Feedback from remote users supports that and I think most are just as happy using emby, if not more so!

The ability to manage my own media server without it having to connect to a 3rd party service was the deal breaker for switching though, and this to me is still the biggest selling point of emby over Plex.  

Oracle

I've used both. I prefer Emby because I feel I have more control over the server and the content listings. 

• Like 1

Q-Droid

One of the biggest reasons I switched from plex to emby is the user management and authentication.

With plex in order to log in to your own server you must first be redirected to plexs' public servers (plex.tv) to authenticate. This means if you cant access that site you cannot log into your server.

1000x this. Plex thinks it's Apple...

Also I have a high opinion on the involvement of the dev teams in the forums.  Not always the cuddliest of responses, but the responses are frequent and it clearly demonstrates their desire to hear what the community has to say about the platform as well as work to solve issues.  I've had them help solve multiple issues that were not problems at large, but just problems related to my specific instance.

I think plex does Live TV as well, but I haven't tried it and I've heard enough "it doesn't work" to not worry about switching.  I would assume it actually does work, but Emby's works well enough that I'm not looking to see if there's may work as well as Emby, because I doubt it works much better.

One of the common complaints in the Plex forums is that the company and devs don't listen to the users or respond.

Plex Live TV and DVR work quite well but the grid guide that's been promised is slow to roll out and only on Apple so far, AFAIK.

MndWrp

I used plesssk plesantly enough before knowing about emby but always had metadata management issues with it. Emby is much better for that.

Once every year of two i have a brainfart and think "lets try pleksss again and see if it got better." That takes usually a day or two of frustrating tinkering and i RUN back to emby.

Emby... You had me at "download".

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WilhelmStroker

1000x this. Plex thinks it's Apple...

One of the common complaints in the Plex forums is that the company and devs don't listen to the users or respond.

Plex Live TV and DVR work quite well but the grid guide that's been promised is slow to roll out and only on Apple so far, AFAIK.

The Plex UWP app has not had an update in 1.5 years without any official comment from them. Nothing. They were more interested in forcing News down everybody's throat. Compare that to the devs here, where pretty much every topic gets an answer.

TheTabman

I moved from Plex to Emby just before they had the weird idea of this completely unwanted "news" section.

I then discovered that the Emby Kodi add-on is much better than the Plex add-on and never looked back.

aspdend

When it works right, Emby. 

It has more features, more customization, the ability to manage user accounts (plex has "guests" and home users that are ONLY accessible on the local network), and the transcoding is better, even when on the same settings. 

However, I don't know if it's that I have a large library, but 3.4 doesn't work for me.  It can take 5+ minutes to show any videos, if ever.  But 3.3 was working fine, but now I'm having issues with the library scans. 

Also, I get weird access is denied errors when emby scans, but I can access the storage just fine, when this happens. 

To the point, that I've been considering switching to plex, until this stuff gets sorted out.

@@drashna you should raise a separate topic with relevant logs because that isn't right - I have a decently large library (I don't remember the numbers, but it is about 40Tb of storage space) and I am not suffering the issues you are...

• Like 1

Spaceboy

i installed plex yesterday to see whether any of the daily show issues are better handled there. i see they still don't even have the ability to add iptv from an m3u  :o

paulsalter

i installed plex yesterday to see whether any of the daily show issues are better handled there. i see they still don't even have the ability to add iptv from an m3u  :o

Daily shows work great if you have the library set as TV and the metadata scrappers set to Local Media (they avoid tvdb and just use the epg data)

Spaceboy

Daily shows work great if you have the library set as TV and the metadata scrappers set to Local Media (they avoid tvdb and just use the epg data)

this is the same daily show issue we are discussing in the dvr filenames thread [emoji3]

paulsalter

this is the same daily show issue we are discussing in the dvr filenames thread [emoji3]

It is yes :)

I have the majority of recordings in Plex working as they would in Emby (matched to tvdb)

My daily shows get recorded to a seperate library which only uses epg data, all episodes shown separately

drashna

@@drashna you should raise a separate topic with relevant logs because that isn't right - I have a decently large library (I don't remember the numbers, but it is about 40Tb of storage space) and I am not suffering the issues you are...

I'm not the only one that's seen the issue, and it's already been posted about. And the scan issue has been posted about too. 

But then again, I'm used to having weird issues.... unfortunately. 

aspdend

I'm not the only one that's seen the issue, and it's already been posted about. And the scan issue has been posted about too. 

But then again, I'm used to having weird issues.... unfortunately. 

Sorry - didn't look around - but at least it has been reported and hopefully may get resolved...