Live TV works in Emby in Chrome but not Emby Theater

Mbedford

I am not using any external plugins for live TV playback. My Hauppauge Quad HD tuner is a very mainstream TV tuner card, I am scanning for it and selecting it directly in Emby server so it has native support by Emby.

I'm sorry but I paid Emby Premium for Live TV, I dont have anything special about my setup, this is not working. I have uploaded all my logs early on in this post. Why can you not explain why this isn't working?  You cant just say "wait for an upcoming server release" thatss not acceptable.

If the Emby team cannot resolve this, then stop my Emby Premium account and refund me please, or provide a solution!

Hi, would you mind providing a new server log then, based on this? The log you provided earlier showed the use of the ServerWMC live tv plugin. if you're not sure, please try uninstalling the ServerWMC plugin, restarting Emby Server, and then trying again. Thanks !

Mbedford

I uninstalled server wmc plugin, removed the tuners, re-added them, making sure I restarted emby server between each step. Still cant play live TV.

This is just too difficult, im sorry but for now im going to go back to using WMC and cancel my Emby premiere subscription.

arrbee99

Am just wondering, you said in post #24 that you're not using a plug in and scanning directly in Emby but in post #27 you said you uninstalled server wmc plugin. Does that mean you are / were using the Hauppauge feature (the one below) and the Server plugin together. I should imagine that would cause conflicts if so.

5b4a6f2874e66_EmbyHauppaugeplugin.jpg

Mbedford

Under the live TV tuner setup like you showed in your screenshot I selected Hauppauge then scan and it found my 2 tuners (quad TV tuner shows up as 2 tuners not 1 as it's like 2 double tuners on 1 PCI card). Then I was told on this forum in another post to install the ServerWMC plugin which grabs the tvguide listings from WMC.

Hope that explains it all and why I have/had the server WMC plugin installed.

arrbee99

Seems reasonable enough but  am still wondering if you had both going if there might have been some sort of conflict. I'm just an ordinary user so will probably be told I'm talking rubbish so its just a thought.

You probably know this but anyway, a few more -

To use the built in Hauppauge you need to have WinTV8 (or 8.5) installed and working (i.e. you've used it to watch TV). Can't remember if Emby uses the guide WinTV8 provides or it still needs its own.

If you use WMC you need WMC working and playing stuff and you could use that via the plugin without applying the built in Hauppauge feature.

Same with NextPVR, get that app working with the guide and use the NextPVR plugin in Emby, no built in Hauppauge feature used.

For MediaPortal (MediaPortal TVServer I think) see NextPVR.

Non of this explains or might help with TV playing in Chrome (I think you said) but not Theater, but you never know. Maybe there something in the stream from WMC that Theater doesn't like thats OK via another method.

Most of those options work for me to varying degrees but I'm in a different country (I think) using an old Hauppauge pci-e card for dvb-s standard def).

Edited by arrbee99

Mbedford

I'm just totally surprised that after supplying the Emby server logs and Emby theatre logs and explaining WMC and Emby in Chrome plays live TV fine, why the staff/programmers of Emby cant find a reason why. Totally surprised and frustrated.

Under the live TV tuner setup like you showed in your screenshot I selected Hauppauge then scan and it found my 2 tuners (quad TV tuner shows up as 2 tuners not 1 as it's like 2 double tuners on 1 PCI card). Then I was told on this forum in another post to install the ServerWMC plugin which grabs the tvguide listings from WMC.

Hope that explains it all and why I have/had the server WMC plugin installed.

Hi, whoever told you this was misinformed. When you use Emby native live TV, it is solely responsible for both channels and guide data. When you use ServerWMC, it takes that full responsibility. There is no combining Emby native Live TV playback with ServerWMC, rather it is one or the other. So what makes this difficult to troubleshoot is that playback is running through a community contributed plugin (ServerWMC), as well as external software not developed by us (ServerWMC). That's why I suggested removing ServerWMC so that we could look at Emby native live tv playback.

If you want to keep ServerWMC, then i would suggest trying again with the upcoming new release of Emby Server as there are some changes to the way third party tv plugins such as ServerWMC are utilized. Thanks.

Mbedford

But I was told Emby native live TV can't read guide data over the air? In Australia all digital TV provide guise date over the air.

Correct we don't support that as of yet. Based on that, you could setup xml tv with Emby native live TV, using one of the providers available, such as zap2it or icetv.

Or you could use the ServerWMC plugin. In this situation, ServerWMC provides both the guide data and the source live stream, so you would need to make sure the ServerWMC software is setup and operating normally before trying to import it into Emby. 

kikinjo

Installed latest stable this morning, same issues with live TV on emby theater, freezing ET, spinning circle.

Got even worse results in web browser now than before.

Mbedford

It seems emby theatre is just plain broken when it comes to live TV compared to emby running in a browser. I've gone back to using WMC and emby for WMC which is great.

Guest asrequested

Ok, so I'm very curious about this. I've been following along. If it plays in the web app, it should play in Theater. I'm assuming your videos play in Theater?

kikinjo

Ok, so I'm very curious about this. I've been following along. If it plays in the web app, it should play in Theater. I'm assuming your videos play in Theater?

Yes no issues in Emby Theather desktop with anything other than Live TV.

kikinjo

Store app now on latest server version 3.5 same issues, while it worked pretty fine pre 3.5 version with occasional spinning circle and emby store version freezing.

Tried a lot of different things, different computer, different video card, etc.., emby desktop never worked fine with live tv.

Also new is that web browser now want load many many channels on live tv, previously worked pretty good, now on 3.5 nope.

Kinda lost interest because i invested too much time in troubleshooting it, server is transcoding every stream for emby desktop, why i don't know, posted

logs before me and others, but it seems that this wont be fixed for time to come.

Just for info, i m using 6 different iptv providers, all work fine in vlc, perfect player, etc, ...