Live TV works in Emby in Chrome but not Emby Theater

Mbedford

Mbedford

Hi,

I Have just started a Emby Premiere subscription so I can use Live TV features with my Hauppauge Quad HD tuner on Windows 10 v1803

Live TV works in Emby in Chrome but not Emby Theater? I want to use Emby Theater as my Logitech Harmony wont control Emby in Chrome, but controls Emby Theater very well. Why does live TV not work?

Also a side question, I have quite a few duplicate channels in my 'Guide'. In WMC you could disable channels, how do you do this in Emby Theater?

arrbee99

Just wondering which version of Theater as if its the desktop version I would imagine that would work quite well as it can direct play lots more stuff.

I think you have to organise you're channels in WMC as I think Emby can't edit/delete channels yet so it displays whatever channels its supplied with.

Yea is this the desktop theater app, or did you install from the windows store?

Mbedford

I press play for a live TV channel and the spinning coloured circle comes up, that's it.

Works in Emby in Chrome.

kikinjo

This issue has been reported many times already, but did not got properly troubleshooted at all, there are at least 5 threads with same issue.

Seems like small features to other apps are always more important to do rather than fixing emby theater desktop to get live tv working.

As premier lifetime subscriber i expect this issue to have much higher priority.

Thank you

Mbedford

Hi, I have just gone into Emby theater and tried to 'play' about 15 channels, only 2 seemed to work out of the 15. In Emby chrome they all seem to work. In Emby theater I just check the spinning circle or it goes through to the screen showing the backdrop and the play controls along the bottom but no video.

I have attached all log files from today from Emby server and the 1 I could find for Emby theatre.

theater-63666768552.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-4621811f-af14-4f35-ab29-29e2dd3bfb1b.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-0d163440-af45-42fc-a064-50c40a7a2316.txt

ffmpeg-remux-e630e269-b2e7-4aa1-94c5-9f6496cb9bd7.txt

ffmpeg-remux-43bf9331-086c-4d25-8028-e17812bfadea.txt

ffmpeg-remux-07c8efeb-c065-4fb0-a5d1-e7db655e04b2.txt

ffmpeg-remux-0e001a75-e71c-4bae-bb8e-18b566b3fce0.txt

embyserver-63666756099.txt

embyserver-63666745898.txt

embyserver-63666745762.txt

embyserver.txt

Mbedford

Any support on this please?

I have paid for Emby Premiere to get Live TV in Emby theater and this isn't working.

Hi, I notice you're using server wmc. have you considered using emby's built-in native support for Hauppauge?

• Like 1

Cybergy

If you prefer I can create my own thread, but I am seeing the same issue.  No WMC however.  

Via the server home page in Chrome the Live TV feed is fine, but connecting to the same server in Theater takes a good minute to start playing and then stops every few seconds for another 30 seconds or so.  Unwatchable.

Edited by Cybergy

Cybergy

Although this server barely meets the requirements for no transcoding (Intel Core 2 Duo processor 1.6 GHz 1GB RAM Windows 7) I would not be surprised if this is a performance issue in my case.  FFMPEG is grabbing a ton of server CPU time, with no recordings running.

If I run the same test connecting to my 8 core, 20GB RAM Windows 10 server, playback is smooth and no issues from theater.

Edited by Cybergy

If you prefer I can create my own thread, but I am seeing the same issue.  No WMC however.  

Via the server home page in Chrome the Live TV feed is fine, but connecting to the same server in Theater takes a good minute to start playing and then stops every few seconds for another 30 seconds or so.  Unwatchable.

In your log i was able to locate your IPTV url and setup an M3u. I have it playing just fine in Theater and it's nice and smooth.

I did notice the stream eventually stopped. This happened both in Theater as well as if i tried to just download the stream as a file in the browser. What does this mean? It means your provider is doing this. We have an autoloop setting right on the m3u config page to help combat against that. It may result in transcoding as ffmpeg handles the looping, but i have that playing just fine as well.

Cybergy

Pretty smooth so far, but when I tried recording the whole stream collapsed after a few minutes (ie; video stopped and went back to the guide).  Now I am not recording and the stream looks fine.

Auto-loop is enabled.

Edited by Cybergy

When autolooping is enabled you currently don't get the server's stream sharing feature, so that means your provider and the bandwidth to your provider will have to be able to support and allow dual connections to both play and record.

Cybergy

Damn there's always a catch with this IPTV provider stuff.

Bandwidth shouldn't be an issue on my end as the streams are a very light HD (much less than 1GB/hour).  I have a 2-stream provision set in my providers service right now, but in practice it may be less if they are dropping streams as you suggested earlier.

Nice to get an expert opinion on what is happening behind the providers curtain Luke.  Thanks again.

I think ultimately we can find a way to handle the looping and still have the server stream sharing feature at the same time, we just haven't gotten there yet.

Mbedford

Looks like my thread has been high jacked but I will continue to try to solve my issue.

"Hi, I notice you're using server wmc. have you considered using emby's built-in native support for Hauppauge?"

ServerWMC is just there to push guide data from WMC to Emby, as Emby live TV doesn't support pulling guide data over the air.

Emby in Chrome works fine for for live TV, but Emby theatre doesn't play any channels. Can the Emby support team please find the reason why in my logs please?

There are some changes to live tv playback for external plugins with the new upcoming server release. I would suggest trying with that once available. Thanks !

Mbedford

I am not using any external plugins for live TV playback. My Hauppauge Quad HD tuner is a very mainstream TV tuner card, I am scanning for it and selecting it directly in Emby server so it has native support by Emby.

I'm sorry but I paid Emby Premium for Live TV, I dont have anything special about my setup, this is not working. I have uploaded all my logs early on in this post. Why can you not explain why this isn't working?  You cant just say "wait for an upcoming server release" thatss not acceptable.

If the Emby team cannot resolve this, then stop my Emby Premium account and refund me please, or provide a solution!

kikinjo

@@Mbedford

You

can confirm that by looking in logs and temp trans coding folder. Streams are working fine in web browser and all other software like vlc and others. Issue is 99% in Emby Teather Desktop, no doubt about it since i can fine watch the stream on same server same setup but with browser.

Bottom line, streams should not be trans coded in the first place

Emby desktop should play them direct but its not happening.