[LIVE] Emby with Alexa skill

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Radio stations? No.

As far as I am aware, the only way to retrieve a channel atm is by it's name. So you'd say tune in channel Fox, etc.

BuddahKat

I haven't been able to get this to work... I can get the skill to recognize the TV channel names now (had to use 'Begin m.b. home' first and then the 'tune in' command), however it doesn't play the channel and just says "I'm having trouble accessing the Emby skill". If I give another command to play a show or movie immediately after though it plays fine (well, sorta fine... as long as it can recognize the title name which is hit or miss), so it's not a skill connection. Seems to be a live TV channel issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Angelblue05

@@BuddahKat

Can you tell me what you said, the time it happened and your default language?

Thanks.

Edited by Angelblue05

BuddahKat

My defaul language is English. I said "Beging m. b. home", which starts the skill (Alexa says '"Emby here...")

Then I said "Tune in channel ESPN". I have two ESPN channels (ESPN and ESPN2), so Alexa asks which one I want, 1 or 2. I say "1" and then she says "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing the Emby skill right now". I've tried other channels and get the same response.

Angelblue05

When did you try? So I can find your request and see the issue. Or are you able to do another attempt right now.

BuddahKat

Sorry for the delay. I just tried again (7:59 PM Mountain Time, USA)

Same command as last time ('start m. b. home', 'tune in channel ESPN)', and I got the same result ('sorry, I'm having trouble accessing the Emby skill right now')

Angelblue05

Ok checking the log. Give me a few.

edit: i see the error. I’ll let you know when to retest in a bit.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Does it make a difference if instead of tune in, you say play the channel ESPN?

Edited by Angelblue05

BuddahKat

I tried with 'Play' instead of 'Tune', I dont get the 'can't connect to Emby skill error' but it doesn't recognize the channel, it just either try's to match it to another one of my media titles (incorrectly), or says 'Anything else?' and stops. I just tried a bunch of different channels and commands if you want to take a look. Thanks for your help!

Edited by BuddahKat
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok thank you for reporting this. I have to update the model. For some reason, it doesn’t associate with the right intent.

Edited by Angelblue05

• 4 months later...
jl94x4

I'm interested in this but I have a question before trying to set it all up. I would like to know if this would help me in my scenario below;

I have an Nvidia Shield with Emby on, I would like to say things like Alexa play The Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 4 on Nvidia Shield... and it automatically put that on, I have the harmony remote so as soon as my nvidia shield is powered on my TV comes on automatically, voice commands seem really easy without a remote.

I'm interested in this but I have a question before trying to set it all up. I would like to know if this would help me in my scenario below;

I have an Nvidia Shield with Emby on, I would like to say things like Alexa play The Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 4 on Nvidia Shield... and it automatically put that on, I have the harmony remote so as soon as my nvidia shield is powered on my TV comes on automatically, voice commands seem really easy without a remote.

Hi, yes that should be possible. Thanks.

BuddahKat

@Angelblue05 - just got a notification on this thread and thought i'd check in, were you ever able to get Alexa to tune to TV channels?

You can just post directly in here without pinging angelblue05. We have a new developer who is in process of getting ramped up and will be working on alexa and google home. Thanks.

• 1 month later...

"I can't reach your emby server right now". I have disabled and re-enabled the skill, and it finds my emby server when linking the skill and account, but Alexa can't DO anything, not even open emby

ME - ask emby what's next

ALEXA - ok here's emby...i can't reach your emby server right now..."

Sorry for my late reply. I changed remote port and disabled/re-enabled the skill. Alexa can now see the server and (sometimes) tell me what's next or what's new. She even asks what player I want to watch on, but doesn't actually play anything.  Nevermind though, it's not a must-have and I won't have much time to play with everything properly and figure it out until Xmas break. Thanks for everything you do :)

• 2 months later...
raudraido

For me Alexa can say what are my latest movies etc in Emby. When I want to play something then Alexa will ask where to play my request and after that it tells that Alexa is having trouble to access Emby skill right now..?

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, Painkiller8818 said:

Will this also work for people using embycon (Kodi Addon)

Yes it sends commands to your emby server which can remote control most of your emby apps.