[LIVE] Emby with Alexa skill

Angelblue05

Painkiller8818

@Angelblue05 Could you please enable the skill to download from amazon.de also? I can't even use the skill.

I switched to de like the info told me but there is no emby skill.
I would help and translate the skill to german but i want to use it  :D
grafik.thumb.png.cc1c8448f1b72029a8a641f000d4bbba.png

We have work to do before it can support German but we will be looking at that soon. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
LiaraAlis

Hi @Luke and @Angelblue05,

where are the problems with the German version? As I can see, the translations are already done. You mean you have to make changes on Emby to support the German language?
Is there anything we can do to help you with this to speed things up? We are already waiting for a long time for this feature.

Best regards,
Alexander

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
knowenoughtobedangerous

Another case of Alexa saying "I can't reach your EMBY server..........."

I'm trying to access my server remotely from several different Alexa devices, but same problem with all.  I've tried disabling and relinking the skill.

Router has HTTP and HTTPS ports mapped.

I'm able to access server fine using Chrome and from the IOS app, both remotely.

EMBY server running on a QNAP box.

I'm retrying EMBY 'cos I've lost patience with Plex, but have taken a Premium licence yet.  Needed?

Anyway......... help?

Hi, Have you ever got Alexa working with your Server from the same LAN segment?

Or asked another way have you even gotten Alexa Skills working with Emby previously?

knowenoughtobedangerous

Hi @cayars.  Thanks for getting back so soon.  Having some decent tech support is one area where Emby score highly over Plex.

No, never had a local Alexa working either - same response.

However, you mentioned it being on the same LAN segment.  My Alexa connects wirelessly to my router and my QNAP server is plugged directly into one of the router's ethernet ports.  But, while my local Alexa (192.168.1.77) is on the same subnet as my QNAP server (192.168.1.100), my Emby Dashboard page says the "In-home (LAN) access" to be http://10.0.5.1:8096

Hope that helps

Ian

• Thanks 1

Make sure you can get to system.xml file on your NAS before doing the following.  Shutdown Emby and copy system.xml to have for safe keeping just in case we need it after this changes I suggest.

Restart Emby after getting a copy of that file.

Go to network menu in Emby Dashboard and set
LAN networks:
192.168.1.0/24

Local IP address:
192.168.1.100 (assuming your Emby Server IP is the same as the QNAP itself.

restart Emby Server and let us know what the Dashboard shows now for local and remote connections

If Emby won't restart, shut down and replace the system.xml file.

knowenoughtobedangerous

Took me a while - had to resort to very unfamiliar WINSCP territory 🙂

Emby was happy to restart but no change with connecting, I'm afraid, 😒

Dashboard shows

- LAN address http://192.168.1.100:8096/

- WAN address http://84.92.55.137:8096/

both are as expected (by me, anyway)

You can remove your WAN address but that's also your problem.  In testing it I was not able to connect.

That also mean Alexa will not be able to connect.
Something is wrong in your remote setup.  You may want to review this KB article.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44002137137-remote-setup

knowenoughtobedangerous

Ok.  Bedtime in the UK, so I’ll try tmw.  However, don’t forget that a remote Web browser will connect on that WAN IP address and, presumably, so does you IOS app.  Emby Connect links through fine as well.

thanks again for the v rapid responses

I just tried it in a web browser and could not connect.  If I can't get to your server neither can Alexa.
If you need some help tomorrow let me know and I can do a remote session with you and help you get this all working.

Carlo

knowenoughtobedangerous

Ah, good info.  The penny/centime/sheckel has dropped.  I get a lot of hack attempts on my server so I have the firewall set to allow access from a whitelist of IP addresses.  The Plex Alexa skill was fine with that.  Turning the firewall off temporarily allowed Alexa Emby access (further than previously, anyway .... I do need Premier, apparently). 

But I immediately got a flurry of failed SSH logins, so the firewall is back on.

So, what IP addresses do I need to open up for your skill?  

Yes Alexa Skills is a Premiere Feature.

Hack attempts are an unfortunate way of life these days. Having a well setup firewall only allowing ports that are needed to be open is paramount of course. Whitelists can be great for certain things but can get difficult to use for other services. Alexa Skills or Google Home integration are perfect examples of this!!!

Ideally you would never have anything like SSH or any admin like service available directly on the Internet but instead would use a hosted VPN server to gain access to your home network instead. That alone cuts down on your vulnerability quite greatly. Putting a service like Emby behind something like Cloudflare gives an additional level of protection and allows geo blocking.

That of course didn't answer your question.  Alexa Skills can come from any IP on the AWS network so you would need to open up these IPs. Your best source of this information is right here and kept up to date by Amazon: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/aws-ip-ranges.html

There is a specific question asked on the Amazon dev forum about the IP ranges and the answer given: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/60923/how-to-get-list-of-amazon-alexa-skill-ip-address-t.html

"We can't really give specific IP ranges beyond the standard AWS ranges, but you shouldn't need to use IP blocking to make sure that you are only getting requests specific to your Alexa skill from amazon. As long as you verify the signature and the app id that is sent in the request, it will not be possible for someone to spoof a request to your service."

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
rbjtech
On 18/05/2021 at 14:34, cayars said:

Yes Alexa Skills is a Premiere Feature.

Hack attempts are an unfortunate way of life these days. Having a well setup firewall only allowing ports that are needed to be open is paramount of course. Whitelists can be great for certain things but can get difficult to use for other services. Alexa Skills or Google Home integration are perfect examples of this!!!

Ideally you would never have anything like SSH or any admin like service available directly on the Internet but instead would use a hosted VPN server to gain access to your home network instead. That alone cuts down on your vulnerability quite greatly. Putting a service like Emby behind something like Cloudflare gives an additional level of protection and allows geo blocking.

That of course didn't answer your question.  Alexa Skills can come from any IP on the AWS network so you would need to open up these IPs. Your best source of this information is right here and kept up to date by Amazon: https://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/aws-ip-ranges.html

There is a specific question asked on the Amazon dev forum about the IP ranges and the answer given: https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/60923/how-to-get-list-of-amazon-alexa-skill-ip-address-t.html

"We can't really give specific IP ranges beyond the standard AWS ranges, but you shouldn't need to use IP blocking to make sure that you are only getting requests specific to your Alexa skill from amazon. As long as you verify the signature and the app id that is sent in the request, it will not be possible for someone to spoof a request to your service."

This is great info Carlo - thanks.

I've just started looking into why Alexa wasn't working for me - and then realised I was geo blocking anything other than incoming UK requests on my NAT and f/w rules - doh!

Allowing the US - and Alexa/Emby is now working fine (with a lets Encrypt Cert - which is what I thought the original issue was ..) - so now need to lock down incoming requests to AWS only - and the above link you kindly provided should let me create an up to date AWS inbound whitelist.

Nice :)

• 2 months later...
Painkiller8818
On 8/6/2020 at 10:05 PM, Luke said:

We have work to do before it can support German but we will be looking at that soon. Thanks.

Has anything changed since my request? How soon is soon? It's a year now.

Could you please release the skill now for german language? Thanks

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
meganitro
On 05/07/2018 at 19:59, Angelblue05 said:

Você encontrará uma nova habilidade Emby na loja de habilidades (a antiga foi suprimida). Foram feitas alterações no nome de invocação, o novo nome de invocação é mb home .

Habilidade de Emby

A habilidade está disponível em inglês dos EUA, Reino Unido, Canadá, Austrália e Índia .

Usando Alexa como jogador

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Alexa#using-alexa-as-a-player

Pequena mudança para apenas ações do Play

Se você deseja enviar a ação de reprodução para outro jogador que não o padrão, use "em outro jogador" . A mudança foi necessária para melhorar drasticamente o reconhecimento do título. Continuarei procurando restaurar o comportamento anterior sem afetar o reconhecimento do título.

Título sendo reconhecido incorretamente ou deseja adicionar um nome de atalho? Adicione-o à lista. As alterações são captadas instantaneamente.

https://goo.gl/forms/VgUty6pcSYOPfZH33

FR para fazer

Jogue isso de novo. - Replay o que acabou de jogar.

Ajude a traduzir

Se você quiser traduzir o projeto, você o encontrará hospedado em nosso aplicativo de tradução OneSky. Se você tiver alguma dúvida, envie-me uma mensagem. Estes são projetos públicos, então crie uma conta se você não tiver uma e comece a traduzir aqui:

alexastrings internas

Please put the translation to Portuguese-br

• 1 month later...
Super957

PLS...Could you please enable the skill to download from amazon.it ?

Thank

Hispanico

21 hours ago, Super957 said:

PLS...Could you please enable the skill to download from amazon.it ?

Thank

Hispanico

Hi, yes more languages are planned for future updates. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, learch74 said:

Is there any way to tune to live TV by channel number using Alexa voice commands?

Hi, not currently although we should add that. Name based commands are supported though.

learch74
38 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, not currently although we should add that. Name based commands are supported though.

Thank you, that would be a nice feature for sure.  Can I ask the syntax for tuning to a live channel by name?  "tune in comedy" for example doesn't do anything just sits at the grey Emby voice screen with the small icon in the upper right.  It's almost like I didn't say anything.