Emby uploading photos through mobile data even when WiFi only is set

zapras

zapras

I've just wasted about 2gb of my precious work data cap. At least that's what my phone stats says, I'm not sure how much cap is actually left. I noticed Emby downloading media. I logged out, logged back it, no fix. I've disconnected and removed my server, I think it's fixed it but I don't want to test because im worried it will use more of my cap.

It's pretty annoying how I buggy Emby is and that I just can't trust it. I've got about 50gb of sync data to download. I wish I could just tell Emby when to download it, but I can't.

• Like 1

zapras

Thanks. It happened again 2 days ago. I'm too scared for it to happen again so I've uninstalled the app for now.

Hope to see a fix soon. Thanks :-)

zapras

Thanks. It happened again 2 days ago. I'm too scared for it to happen again so I've uninstalled the app for now.

Hope to see a fix soon. Thanks :-)

Same issue, my phone data cap alarm wen't off while on a road trip, checked data usage and noticed emby used up 4 GB's today.

No phone data left for 2 weeks, this is great!

• Like 1

Re-tracing my steps I just realized I put my phone in hotspot mode for about 30min today, turned hotspot off, then drove for 1.5 hours, got to the destination and my phone data cap alarm wen't off, noticed re: above.

Not sure if its related, but something to investigate / try to replicate.

Edited by lal
  • Like 1

Crooze

Same issue here. It seems to be ignoring the WIFI only setting.

I turned wifi off, watched a sync'd show. About ten minutes later it started download the next episode over cellular data.

• 1 month later...

Just an update. I'm so angry at Emby right now. I'm sure you guys are working hard to fix this issue while getting paid nothing, but it's so frustrating for me. On Friday after work, I decided to give Emby for Android another shot. I installed it, set up my 3 folders to sync and sat back on Wifi. It was VERY intermittent to download the stupid content. Sometimes it decided to download, sometimes not. By Saturday afternoon it had completely stopped after getting about 1/3 of my content downloaded, even though I was on Wifi the entire time!

In the evening on Saturday, I went to a mates place. AS SOON AS I WAS ON MOBILE DATA, it decided to download 500MB of my content chewing up all my data within a couple of hours. It's a work phone, I'm not sure what my data cap is but I'm stressing that my boss will ring me any second asking why I've used up so much data. 

It's Sunday and I'm about to head out from Wifi coverage. I've still got about 1/3 left to download. And of course Emby has stopped downloading anything. What should I do??? I'll have to disable mobile data, which means I'll have to use Google offline maps to know where I'm going.

I refuse to believe it's not happening to others.

Edit: Not sure why I didn't think of this before. But in Android you can disable specific apps from using mobile data in the background. I'm not sure if this will also disable wifi data, but will see.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/prevent-any-app-using-mobile-data-android/

Edited by zapras
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Bazzu85

I'm experiencing the problem too..

and disabling background data not working..

Just an update. I'm so angry at Emby right now. I'm sure you guys are working hard to fix this issue while getting paid nothing, but it's so frustrating for me. On Friday after work, I decided to give Emby for Android another shot. I installed it, set up my 3 folders to sync and sat back on Wifi. It was VERY intermittent to download the stupid content. Sometimes it decided to download, sometimes not. By Saturday afternoon it had completely stopped after getting about 1/3 of my content downloaded, even though I was on Wifi the entire time!

In the evening on Saturday, I went to a mates place. AS SOON AS I WAS ON MOBILE DATA, it decided to download 500MB of my content chewing up all my data within a couple of hours. It's a work phone, I'm not sure what my data cap is but I'm stressing that my boss will ring me any second asking why I've used up so much data. 

It's Sunday and I'm about to head out from Wifi coverage. I've still got about 1/3 left to download. And of course Emby has stopped downloading anything. What should I do??? I'll have to disable mobile data, which means I'll have to use Google offline maps to know where I'm going.

I refuse to believe it's not happening to others.

Edit: Not sure why I didn't think of this before. But in Android you can disable specific apps from using mobile data in the background. I'm not sure if this will also disable wifi data, but will see.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/prevent-any-app-using-mobile-data-android/

There is a beta release available, 3.0.18, and it has the fix for this. Please reconfigure your download settings. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
twhitsidconnect

This problem is back.  I recently made some changes to my Server and the Android App updated on my Phone.  I have "Download only on WiFi" on the Android App and it is only using my Data instead of WiFi.

Hi, is it possible you scheduled the downloads before setting that option?

twhitsidconnect

No, the option has been set and I haven't touched anything else in the app.  I made some major changes to the server and it downloaded all the changes using Data instead of WiFi.

neik

Is this still an issue Luke?

I also have a lot of Emby traffic using mobile data although I don't ever stream.

twhitsidconnect

I don't stream either but after making some significant changes to the server, it all got downloaded over mobile data to my phone.  I have since removed the app until it is fixed.

I'm not able to reproduce this but will keep an eye out for it as I have a lot of media downloaded regularly for testing.

• 3 weeks later...
neik

I think my traffic issue was due to the photo upload option.

Wasn't able to exctly narrow it down but it just happened during the period I tried that option.

So @@Luke, does Emby sync photos while on mobile data or only on Wi-Fi?

Couldn't find an option for that in Android mobile.

• Like 1