Can I set higher bit rate for transcoding?

ken1

Hi, can I set higher bitrate for transcoding? currently all media was transcode in 800kbps, and my broadband upload can reach 20Mbps (2MByte/s,tested).

as the reason for transcode now is : media bitrate exceeded bitrate limit

I can only find maximum bitrate limit setting, but can't find minimum bitrate settings. (docker latest stable image+iOS client)

BR.

Edited by ken1

Trekster

I have experienced this "issue" as well. Even if the client is set to auto it transcodes at 800kbit which is quite annoying.

It doesn't happen on Android. Only iOS.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Have you tried manually setting the quality that you want in the video player?

Trekster

Have you tried manually setting the quality that you want in the video player?

But would that not defeat the purpose of the auto setting? For instance if at that moment the available bandwidth was less than the selected forced rate in the app?

Then the user would have to change it manually before or during playback.

When away from home, auto currently defaults to that low value on iOS due to requirements of one of the mobile carriers. You can always adjust manually.

Trekster

When away from home, auto currently defaults to that low value on iOS due to requirements of one of the mobile carriers. You can always adjust manually.

Yes but this also applies to iPad and on WiFi - not only 3/4g which doesn't make sense

mastrmind11

Yes but this also applies to iPad and on WiFi - not only 3/4g which doesn't make sense

Just set the bitrate to your uplink's max bitrate.  Who cares?  The 800k is being negotiated during the first few seconds of the stream.  If you don't agree with it, change it...  

Edited by mastrmind11

Trekster

Just set the bitrate to your uplink's max bitrate. Who cares? The 800k is being negotiated during the first few seconds of the stream. If you don't agree with it, change it...

I don't think you understand my dillema.

I have for example 5 users.

I have 50mbit upload.

Three users have saturated 40mbit, the fourth has his or her's iPhone set at 20mbit and tries to stream a movie that is 15mbit and hence beyond the capability of my upload at the moment.

What would happen then? If auto was working I assume it would negotiate something like 8-9mbit and be done with it but if I had forced it to 15?

Then the unknowing user would have to go in and change that to an unknown number using a guessing game as he doesn't know where the capability is at the moment.

Maybe this discussion is better suited for the iOS subforums.

mastrmind11

I don't think you understand my dillema.

I have for example 5 users.

I have 50mbit upload.

Three users have saturated 40mbit, the fourth has his or her's iPhone set at 20mbit and tries to stream a movie that is 15mbit and hence beyond the capability of my upload at the moment.

What would happen then? If auto was working I assume it would negotiate something like 8-9mbit and be done with it but if I had forced it to 15?

Then the unknowing user would have to go in and change that to an unknown number using a guessing game as he doesn't know where the capability is at the moment.

Maybe this discussion is better suited for the iOS subforums.

But the server doesn't adjust bitrate based on saturation, even on auto.  It's up to a) you to set a max bitrate per user server side, or b ) the user to adjust the bitrate based on their own streaming experience at the time of streaming.   eg, if it looks like shit, juice it up.  if it's choppy as shit, turn it down.  I find myself having to do this pretty regurlarly w/ YouTube and Netflix while traveling because of bandwidth changes from point to point... and they have millions of dollars invested in infrastructure.

Edited by mastrmind11

the problem is bigger,

1. iOS app access emby from internet, network condition: LTE
  2. set ios app->internet quality to "1080p - 10Mbps" 
  3. play file: "Game.of.Thrones.S05E01.The.Wars.to.Come.1080P.BluRay.HEVC.x265.10Bit.mkv"
  4. media was transcoded due to video profile not supported
  5. media was transcoded from 2.2 Mbps to 9.1 Mbps (expected behavior: transcoded media bitrate should not higher than original bitrate too much)  
BR,

emby.jpg

emby-log-20180705.7z

Edited by ken1

Trekster

the problem is bigger,
  3. play file: "Game.of.Thrones.S05E01.The.Wars.to.Come.1080P.BluRay.HEVC.x265.10Bit.mkv"
  5. media was transcoded from 2.2 Mbps to 9.1 Mbps (expected behavior: transcoded media bitrate should not higher than original bitrate too much)  
BR,

emby.jpg

in this case i wouldn't expect it to transcode at all unless its in a format that cannot be directly played, and even so it should just place it in a container with support and minimal transcoding efforts on the server

the problem is bigger,
BR,

emby.jpg

We're not direct playing the nevc main 10 profile because to my knowledge iOS does not support this. 

tdiguy

Its funny, when i was looking to convert movies into a compatible format to be direct played i picked mp4 with h264 and aac audio because the mkv container while very compatible with many devices has very little support on mobile devices. You might be transcoding simply because it is mkv. If possible make another copy of that movie that is mp4 and give it a go see what happens.

We're not direct playing the nevc main 10 profile because to my knowledge iOS does not support this. 

how about limit the transcoded bitrate a little.

Its funny, when i was looking to convert movies into a compatible format to be direct played i picked mp4 with h264 and aac audio because the mkv container while very compatible with many devices has very little support on mobile devices. You might be transcoding simply because it is mkv. If possible make another copy of that movie that is mp4 and give it a go see what happens.

In the store app that's not true. The store app can direct play mkv. 

how about limit the transcoded bitrate a little.

Are you asking about raising the default? You realize you can set your own value in the video player, right?

Are you asking about raising the default? You realize you can set your own value in the video player, right?

yes, I know it can be set in app side now.

for example, I have some files in bitrate: 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5Mbps, 8Mbps, and I set limit in app to 10Mbps, they should be all direct play (if codec supported).

but now the problem is the server transcode a file from 2Mbps to 10Mbps. and my broadband are capable of 20Mbps, if I set the limit to 20Mbps, files may transcode to 20Mbps..,

the only solution to prevent transcode 2Mbps file to 10M or 20M now is to lower the app limit first, every time before watching a movie.  isn't that very unreasonable?

(and if I set the limit to 3Mbps, then other files direct played before will require transcode now, waste of cpu & time.)

BR

Edited by ken1

Happy2Play

Can you post a ffmpeg log.

Ok it appears the input video bitrate is being multiplied by 4. When transcoding hevc to h264 we do allow for the bitrate to increase, but 4x is too much. Please try again with the next release of the server. Thanks.

Trekster

yes, I know it can be set in app side now.

for example, I have some files in bitrate: 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 5Mbps, 8Mbps, and I set limit in app to 10Mbps, they should be all direct play (if codec supported).

but now the problem is the server transcode a file from 2Mbps to 10Mbps. and my broadband are capable of 20Mbps, if I set the limit to 20Mbps, files may transcode to 20Mbps..,

the only solution to prevent transcode 2Mbps file to 10M or 20M now is to lower the app limit first, every time before watching a movie. isn't that very unreasonable?

(and if I set the limit to 3Mbps, then other files direct played before will require transcode now, waste of cpu & time.)

BR

Yes agree this should be the expected behaviour. If the container isn't supported it should transcode to a new one but that hardly takes any ressources.

I don't get why the server has to up-scale/transcode to a higher bitrate?

If the player is set to 10mbit and the video is <=10mbit it should just direct play if supported? Not transcode a low bitrate video to a higher one.

@@Luke

Will the change be in the latest Beta I'd give it a go myself because I have a lot of iOS clients and it's a pain having to transcode like this.

@@Trekster, this conversation actually spiraled into more than one thing, and my last comment is unrelated to what this topic was originally about.

If the player is set to 10mbit and the video is

Yes we already do this. If you think this isn't happening then please discuss an example by seeing how to report a media playback issue. thanks.