Extreme fluctuations "Scan Media Library" - Beta Report

Seger
Go to solution Solved by solabc16,

Seger

Hi @ solabc16,

I have since the beginning of my Emby Installation 3.4.0 to the latest version 3.4.1.23 beta again and again extreme fluctuations in my "Scan Media Library". My installation of Emby is on Volume 2, which is an SSD. I own a Synology DS2415 +. The best values ​​were at 7.10 min., My worst values ​​are currently at about 12 min .. Since I still have a Dell T20 with the same configuration and the same structure (number of movies / series) and DSM 6.1 run, I imagine the question of whether it is due to my Synology or the package itself. Because on the Dell T20 the values ​​are very consistent and are about 2.4 min per scan. The libraries are identical as I said. What are your values ​​and can you possibly help me with how to speed up the scans?

Would be very happy if you could help me.

then another question, I also have a way to upload a log without DYNDNS information or a private channel?

Thanks,

Seger

Seger

Edit: Log added first with local ip to analyze the problem "Extreme fluctuations "Scan Media Library"".

Maybe you can also go in addition to the question of how I make external logs without my DynDNS public.

Thanks and regards
Seger

Seger
Wanted to ask very easily if the log was found? As I said, I also notice extreme power fluctuations. The current beta is 50% slower than the stable version. And as mentioned earlier, I have a lot more power on another Synology, although I did not install it on an SSD.

Best regards

seger

Unfortunately I don't really see anything obvious in the log.

The Kodi sync, reports, genre cleaner, and cover art plugins will all add additional resource consumption to your server.

And also, if one of your Kodi installs is syncing during the library scan then that will make a difference.

You could try removing those plugins.

Seger

okay, understood. yes, the plugins slow down, I'm aware of that, but with the same machine and the same plugins without anything to change the right or the like, the double times are really strange. I'm about to switch back to the stable version via a backup. I will then upload the log for comparison. then I will remove the plugins. the Kodi Sync is used exclusively for fast sync, right? Do I really need it at all?

The double times could possibly be explained by client activity that was occurring at the time of the scan.

Seger

no client activity, the server is only on. I'm on the road again with the stable versions and with the same plugins it's now 7 minutes instead of 12 minutes. I'll send you a log tomorrow. as I said, my brother is with his server Dell t20 and no ssd at a value of 2.5min. Best regards Seger

Seger
Hey buddy, as I said, I put it back on the stable version with the same plugins and lo and behold, it's 7 min for the scan. Like I said, my brother ALWAYS has values ​​of 2.5 min at the same library and the same plugins, being on a Dell T20. On my DS2415 + jumps the value as I said in the current beta immediately to 12min.

Always the same plugins, no clients, or other frameworks.

Attached again the LOG in the stable version. Do you see anything there? If not, I would return to the beta and upload another log under the same conditions.

Thanks and best regards

Seger

• 2 weeks later...
Seger

Update: I have just updated from 3.4.0 Stable to 3.5.0 Stable.

As already mentioned in the betas, the scan time tends to jump upwards and not upwards as mentioned in the changelog. Currently without changing anything in the settings, the scan has run time of 7 min. (Best value) at 10:29 min. worse! There were the same influences and it was the same machine (DS 2415+).

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_avoton_2415+_20180718T094442UTC.tgz

What I noticed in the course of the update is that the plugin CDART does not properly consider the option with the BD covers. The codec envelopes will now be displayed as image (although the option is correct). Deinstallation of the plugins does not improve. Why is my server getting slower instead of faster? Do you see something in the LOG?

Then one last question, would not have to be turned off with the update now Mono? Mono is still in my process manager. Thanks for the renewed help!

Best regards Seger

Edited by Seger

solabc16

Hello @@Seger

I didn't originally see this post, as there was a space between the @ and my username, so I didn't get notified.

Can you summarise where you are currently at?

The DS 2415+ has an 'Intel Atom C2538', the Dell T20 is going to have an 'Intel  Xeon E3-xxxx' or similar.

So in terms of raw horsepower on the processor side, these are very different animals.

Thanks for the logs, I'll take a look. In terms of the speed the scan is taking, what problems is this causing?

Best

- James

Seger

Moin @@solabc16 , no problem!

Time away from the Dell T20, that was just an example how crass the differences are in the scan at the same library and same conditions. But I'm now synonymous first on the processor performance.

But I am currently aware that the scan speed is decreasing on my machine DS 2415+. Currently without changing anything in the settings, the scan has run time of 7 min. (Best value) at 10:29 min. worse!

And then the other defined questions, see above. Could you find something?

Thank you my friend.

Best regards Seger

Edit new: sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_avoton_2415+_20180718T104036UTC.tgz

Edited by Seger

Seger
Hello friends, @@Luke

after I have done all my directories individually "looking for new content":

the problem with CoverArt 4.0.79.0 is fixed and the covers are displayed as before (basic settings).

I then cleaned up my database with the following commands:

sqlite3 library.db "VACUUM"

sqlite3 library.db "ANALYZE"

sqlite3 library.db "REINDEX"

(40mb profit)

Then I turned off all clients and restarted several times and cleaned up the logs.

So again created conditions like the Emby 3.4.0. Version. But I still have the "problem" that the library scan in Emby version 3.5.0. from originally 7 min. at 10:44 min. has worsened!

Attached again as desired a log, very you what?

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_avoton_2415+_20180718T202853UTC.tgz

Best regards Seger

Edited by Seger

solabc16

...one quick thing I've noticed, is you have 'debug' logging turned on; we don't advise this on 'production' systems due to the increase I/O and processing it can generate.

For example, some of the Kodi debug output lines are ~3MB.

I'm not saying this is the issue, but can you recreate with debug turned off and send the logs across again; that will give us a clearer picture.

Best

- James

The kodi sync, genre cleaner and autoboxset plugins will affect the amount of time taken by the library scan. you could try removing those.

Seger
Hello everybody

I have turned off the debug logging, I had only turned on for you, so you see details.

I deleted all logs:

5b50353a3156c_logs.jpg

Short question: The logs delete themselves sometime after a time itself and will not rise to the immeasurable, right?

Restarted the entire server, all background services like version 3.4. made to land again at 11:03 min ..

Of course, the plugins can have their impact, but the 3 plugins are very important for the clean implementation in Kodi. The comparison is also 3.4 vs. 3.5 with the same plugins. I know that you want to get out with it which plugin is possibly the culprit, but if I delete the now, I'll start again from the beginning.

My productive system, which always has something, is not productive :-). -> Like to do it for you, but then with a plan and the feedback that maybe was discovered and which plugin I should uninstall first. Just ask me the question of how to get out then, what is the plugins. Is there somewhere synonymous logs and maybe it makes sense to post synonymous times?

Thanks as always, top feedback and service ...

Seger

Edited by Seger

• 2 months later...
  • Solution
solabc16

I'm going to close this topic now, as we've made further progress in this area with both the Mono and .NET Core releases, coupled with the changes we'll see on the Emby Server side with the next major release.*

Best

- James

* For historical reference, we're currently on 3.5.3.

• 9 months later...