Can't add NAS folders to library

B0ngripper
Go to solution Solved by rouq,

B0ngripper

I just had to move from Plex to Emby - my new NAS isn't compatible to Plex - and i'm stuck when trying to add my media folders to Emby.

The package is running on my Synology, i can login to my Emby account and manage the server, but how do i add my media folders?

For example, if i put '\\111.222.333.44\video\tvshows\' as a source i got an error message, that the path is invalid. The IP and path can be accessed in my Win10 file explorer without issues.

Any thoughts?

hi, not sure if this will matter, but can you try adding it without the trailing slash \ ? thanks.

• Like 1

• Solution
rouq

Does the share folder that you are trying to add is local to this NAS?

If it's local, there is no need for the ip address.  First, you have to give embysvr user at least read access to the share folder.  Open config pannel on the NAS and select share folders.  Select the share folder holding your medias files, click on modify and select permissions and give read access to this user.

On emby server ui, in your library settings in section folders, you should now be able to navigate to your share folder.  In the list, your should see something like /volume1 or something similar, click on that and you should see your share there and be able to navigate on your share folder.

• Like 4

• 8 months later...
jamesfgriffiths

I had the same problem with Emby running on Windows 10 as a service and using WD MyCloud Home NAS.

I changed the Service settings (Services in Control Panel) so that it was running as my user and not the system account.  Restarted the service and was then able to add the NAS folders by typing in the address in the Add Folder dialog.

Regards

James

• 2 months later...
Limpit

I have a similar issue. 

My Emby server is on my Nvidia Shield Pro, and my movie data is in 4 shared folder's on my Synology NAS. 

Under Emby Add media library, i can't see my shared folders to add them.

I have tried above suggestion, stating to add embysvr as a user, but i assume that is only viable when the emby server is running from the synology, as i cannot see embysvr to give permission to it.

I also wan't to try jamesfgriffiths suggestion, but not sure what to do, can you please elaborate?

Any other suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks

I have a similar issue. 

My Emby server is on my Nvidia Shield Pro, and my movie data is in 4 shared folder's on my Synology NAS. 

Under Emby Add media library, i can't see my shared folders to add them.

I have tried above suggestion, stating to add embysvr as a user, but i assume that is only viable when the emby server is running from the synology, as i cannot see embysvr to give permission to it.

I also wan't to try jamesfgriffiths suggestion, but not sure what to do, can you please elaborate?

Any other suggestion would be appreciated

Thanks

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71033-how-to-add-smb-share-to-the-server-nvidia-shield-tv/?p=712666

• 6 months later...

Excuse me for necroing the thread, but Emby still isn't able to find any media after I gave enbysvr user read/write access to my /volume1/media folder. I even tried re-installing Emby via the package manager just in case I messed something in the process, but that didn't help either. 

During set up, if I go deeper than /volume1/media Emby complains "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again." However, if I just point it at /volume1/media it accepts the folder and I can continue through set up. This made me think maybe the permissions for enbysvr user were not set recursively, but I did it in the Synology Control Panel and didn't even see an option to NOT make the sharing recursive, so I don't think that's it. 

When I'm done with setup Emby says "0 items" when I navigate to the folder I added. Going to mypersonal.synology.me:8096/web/index.html?#!/librarysetup/library.html and hitting "Scan all Libraries" shows a quick bump of green bar but doesn't find any files.

Any help or thoughts on things to try would be greatly appreciated! TIA! 

Excuse me for necroing the thread, but Emby still isn't able to find any media after I gave enbysvr user read/write access to my /volume1/media folder. I even tried re-installing Emby via the package manager just in case I messed something in the process, but that didn't help either. 

During set up, if I go deeper than /volume1/media Emby complains "The path could not be found. Please ensure the path is valid and try again." However, if I just point it at /volume1/media it accepts the folder and I can continue through set up. This made me think maybe the permissions for enbysvr user were not set recursively, but I did it in the Synology Control Panel and didn't even see an option to NOT make the sharing recursive, so I don't think that's it. 

When I'm done with setup Emby says "0 items" when I navigate to the folder I added. Going to mypersonal.synology.me:8096/web/index.html?#!/librarysetup/library.html and hitting "Scan all Libraries" shows a quick bump of green bar but doesn't find any files.

Any help or thoughts on things to try would be greatly appreciated! TIA! 

Hi, is this a local volume on the NAS? Are there any symlinks involved?

Hi Luke! Yes, it's a local volume on the NAS. There are some symlinks in one of the top level folders (/volume1/media/folder-with-symlink) but none of the top level folders/files are symlinks.

Like this, where /volume1/media is visible to Emby but nothing inside of it seems to be visible (showing 0 files)

/volume1/media/folder-containing-symlinks/a-symlink

Edited by baesiq

• 5 months later...
Malcolm Reed

I'm struggling with something similar so I hope it's OK to tag on to this thread. I'm running Emby on Windows 10 and I've added local music just fine (C:....etc). I've got loads more music on a Synology Diskstation but can't add it as a library. The Win10 machine can see the DS214 as a Networked PC and can then open the share and play tracks with VLC Windows. In Emby, I enter the DS214 IP address and a short time later it shows the available shares:

2020-07-05_141956.JPG.c3f85905028cff85f25ae3cd7b77561b.JPG

If I click on the music item, I see the timer for about 30 seconds then the screen goes back to - 
2020-07-05_142120.JPG.18312883fa59b3770251b83a83355b58.JPG

Any ideas please?

@Malcolm Reed

What I would suggest instead is using the tools in the Synology OS to mount the network path to a local share, then add the local share path into Emby Server. Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• 1 year later...
alesk76

hi luke 

I have folder SynologyNAS and under that map Movies... under this map are four maps and one of those is 4K with 4k movies inside .... I canadd all three to libarary exept thkat 4K 

when I pres + and find it under volume 1 and thet brovse to it and press on it it drop me out.... nothing happens.... 

If I try to map it shared network folder it happend the same...   

so I can map 3 maps from 4 in folder but one those 4K no chance.... where is the problem.... 

best regards

Hi, Did you grant permissions to the share for the system internal emby user?

Check to see what is different on the 1 drive.  You may have to reset permission to inherit them.

alesk76

under map movie  are 4 maps and 3 of those I could add to liberary ... one the 4th one not  ... (in that one are inside 4K movies) 

Edited by alesk76

So something is off on the one map.

Reset the permission and inherit them from the parent folder and apply this to all folders.