Shield ATV HDR

mamoel

The fact that Plex and Kodi have solved the problem in their systems for their users, probably means Nvidia and Google aren't giving it the priority that it deserves.

I'd say that's pretty obvious.

maegibbons

Since Plex and Kodi were able to solve it on their own, I'm not sure why Emby won't take responsibility and fix it themselves

Simply put, there is no expertise to fork exoplayer and fix it.  The next issue is maintaing a forked exoplayer.

Krs

Mark 

Spaceboy

I don’t agree that this is the priority that people here think it is. 4K still has limited exposure. 4K HDR even less. Yes the people here are keen to see something done but I’d guesstimate that people with 4K HDR TVs make up less than 5% of the total Emby user base.

I think Emby stand to get far more value out of improving live tv

Coxeroni

And additionally this only affects this strange rips of suspicious origin, since without cropping the files 4k HDR works just fine with Emby...

So I am sorry to say, that I understand why this not a top priority with any of the parties involved to fix this issue.

• Like 1

And additionally this only affects this strange rips of suspicious origin, since without cropping the files 4k HDR works just fine with Emby...

So I am sorry to say, that I understand why this not a top priority with any of the parties involved to fix this issue.

I am quite sure that if every user that has at least one file of "suspicious origin" switches to another software, then emby would have only a handful of users left.
  • Like 1

Coxeroni

Normally my advice would be to just get different releases that are not cropped then. I am not too deep into the 4k releases scene but it seems as not every release is affected. And if you happen to accidentially catch one of the cropped ones, there is the workaround of reeconding using mkvtoolnix if I am not mistaken. Sure it is more work than just sonarr the hell out of wherever you get that files from, but there are ways around this issue until this is fixed.

Edited by Coxeroni

CBers

if you happen to accidentially catch one of the cropped ones, there is the workaround of reeconding using mkvtoolnix if I am not mistaken.

I'm sure @ has already tried that, but makes no difference, as either the video is stretched, or HDR is still not triggered.

Coxeroni

I see, sorry for giving wrong information then, I would probably just blacklist those release groups that release cropped content while this problem persists. But still, don't know the details in that part.

• Like 1

TylerV76

Im not sure why you are hung up on cropped files being "suspicious" as Ive already explained why I chose to have them cropped and where they came from (Best Buy). The file size is 1/5th the size of an uncropped rip. I can fit 100 of these rips on 1tb as opposed to 20. 

And yeah there is a work around to playing them and it happens to be using the competitions software. This and the Live TV issues have led me to abandon using Emby in order to simplify things for my household. Thats not a very good solution to a problem and I would prefer to use and promote Emby. 

So sure, right now maybe 4k HDR isn't largely used but neither was 1080p rips a few years ago. 

Edited by TylerV76
  • Like 1

Coxeroni

I am not acusing anyone of anything, it is your choice where to get and how to process your media. I am a bit suprised that you can save 4/5 of file size merely by cropping 25 % of the picture, but I don't doubt your numbers. Storage is cheap these days so is cloud storage at Google drive, just saying.

I keep fingers crossed for you, that you either get your problems solved or live a happy life with any other solution. I switched over from Plex because emby does some thing better than it and personally I am not too bound to a specific product but just want things to work.

I guess no one from Emby is ignoring you guys on purpose, but obviously this is not easy to solve and/or not the highest priority. Probably no business is happy about leaving customers. But this happens even to the best of them for whatever reasons.

Edited by Coxeroni

TylerV76

I am not acusing anyone of anything, it is your choice where to get and how to process your media. I am a bit suprised that you can save 4/5 of file size merely by cropping 25 % of the picture, but I don't doubt your numbers. Storage is cheap these days so is cloud storage at Google drive, just saying.

I keep fingers crossed for you, that you either get your problems solved or live a happy life with any other solution. I switched over from Plex because emby does some thing better than it and personally I am not too bound to a specific product but just want things to work.

I guess no one from Emby is ignoring you guys on purpose, but obviously this is not easy to solve and/or not the highest priority. Probably no business is happy about leaving customers. But this happens even to the best of them for whatever reasons.

Trust me, I despise Plex, I have a very deep hatred for them in fact. The issue is that when dealing with a wife and kids who just want to hit play and not worry about any of the behind the scenes stuff, you have to make it as simple as possible. 

I completely wiped my system of anything Plex related and started pushing Emby to anyone who would listen. Then Nvidia updated the shields and created a disaster that wrecked live TV and now cropped HDR doesn't work. This isn't Emby's fault in any way, its simply EXOPlayer is a disaster since the latest update and Nvidia isn't doing anything to fix it. 

I understand that forking or building a new player isn't easy, or quick. If I understood how to do it I would and donate it to Emby but I don't. The only thing I can offer is a large donation towards the effort to do so. Until either that happens or Nvidia fixes 7.2.2, Im left watching these forums hoping something finally resolves the 2 issues that keep Emby disabled for now. 

As for file sizes. My cropped copy of Man of Steel is 22gb. The uncropped version is around 90gb. Suicide Squad is 16gb and the uncropped is almost 60gb. Its a drastic size difference. And yes storage is cheap but not when its not necessary and that doesn't even begin to address streaming a 90gb file remotely when I'm on vacation. 

vdatanet

It does not matter if the origin is suspicious or not, simply what causes the problem is the ripping technique. If you want a movie to be as small as possible, the problem appears.

As for file sizes. My cropped copy of Man of Steel is 22gb. The uncropped version is around 90gb. Suicide Squad is 16gb and the uncropped is almost 60gb. Its a drastic size difference. And yes storage is cheap but not when its not necessary and that doesn't even begin to address streaming a 90gb file remotely when I'm on vacation. 

There has to be a difference other than just the cropping there...

vdatanet

Of course, cropping, reencoding and loss of quality, but my eyes can't see that loss of quality.

Edited by vdatanet

TylerV76

Definitely lower quality but its unnoticeable to my eyes. The advantage to me is HDR and sound quality. Even on a compressed video, HDR makes a drastic difference visually. As long as I have that and Atmos or DTS-X sound, Im happy.

Of course, cropping, reencoding and loss of quality, but my eyes can't see that loss of quality.

Okay, so that means you could re-encode the same way without cropping and probably still save significant space.

I'm not saying that is a complete solution but you were representing that just cropping the movies was saving you a huge amount of space which was why this was such a big problem for you and that isn't completely true.  You could still save significant space and not crop them.

I would expect less than a 33% savings by cropping.  I agree that is still significant but just not as much as you were representing.

TylerV76

Okay, so that means you could re-encode the same way without cropping and probably still save significant space.

I'm not saying that is a complete solution but you were representing that just cropping the movies was saving you a huge amount of space which was why this was such a big problem for you and that isn't completely true.  You could still save significant space and not crop them.

I would expect less than a 33% savings by cropping.  I agree that is still significant but just not as much as you were representing.

You could definitely save some, and of course not nearly as much, but you could get a 90gb file down to around 60gb. Truth be told, this isn't even the biggest issue for me right now. EXOplayers handling of Live TV has been a much bigger issue. Having a forked or custom player could however alleviate both problems. 

Please understand, Im not trying to give you guys a hard time and I know youve been trying to get google and Nvidia to fix our issues and I do appreciate that.

Edited by TylerV76

vdatanet

I agree with you, It is not fair to fully impute the space saving to the crop action, but the truth is that cropping and re-encoding, usually go hand in hand.

Guest asrequested

The simple fact is we get cropped videos, and this will happen more and more. To suggest not getting/using them is unrealistic. HDR isn't tied to 4k, more and more 1080 videos have HDR, too. Very few 1080 titles when ripped retain the padding, if they had it to begin with. Ignoring this won't make it to away.

• Like 2

CBers

this isn't even the biggest issue for me right now. EXOplayers handling of Live TV has been a much bigger issue.

@@TylerV76 do you have a separate thread open about your Live TV issues?

vdatanet

We should not judge the users of how and where they obtain their media, as I said above, the fact is that this type of media exists and competing products can reproduce them correctly. I do not know if many people use this type of media, but you do not know either. Therefore, the best thing to do is to expose the problem and make the users think about it.

TylerV76

@@TylerV76 do you have a separate thread open about your Live TV issues?

I didn't start it but have made mention that Im having the same issues and tried all the fixes. If youve got any other advice I would be open to trying something. Let me know in that thread if you see something worth trying.

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/66930-livetv-pauseglitches-in-seek-mode-not-present-in-direct-stream-livetv/

CBers

We should not judge the users of how and where they obtain their media, as I said above, the fact is that this type of media exists and competing products can reproduce them correctly. I do not know if many people use this type of media, but you do not know either. Therefore, the best thing to do is to expose the problem and make the users think about it.

Not sure if it's in this thread or elsewhere on the forums, but I have suggested a few times that if we were able to add a TAG to cropped content, then the ATV would see that and open it in an external player, as I believe there are a few media player apps that can trigger HDR on cropped videos.

TylerV76

Not sure if it's in this thread or elsewhere on the forums, but I have suggested a few times that if we were able to add a TAG to cropped content, then the ATV would see that and open it in an external player, as I believe there are a few media player apps that can trigger HDR on cropped videos.

I think there was a tradeoff there. Im not sure anyone ever found an external player that did both HDR and surround sound, specifically Atmos and DTS-X. I tried with Archos and even with the additional codecs installed, I could only get one or the other. MX, VLC etc had the same issues.