Shield ATV HDR

mamoel

Guest asrequested

Hmm, I'm seeing the right parameters in the bitstream's SEI and SPS at first glance, so I'm not sure what could be going on quite yet.  I only did a quick look so far, so I'll need to take a closer look in a bit.  It also played just fine and triggered HDR mode on my television, so I'm a bit more confident that the file is fine and that the issue is somewhere on the CUDA/decoding side.

Of course I have no idea if it shares the same attributes that the files these other guys have. Maybe one of them could slice off a piece, and share it?

Here's a thought. When I used DVDfab to do a repack, no transcoding at all, the result was that no decoder would play it correctly. So maybe it has something to do with how that particular container is split, when using cuda? 

Edited by Doofus

Waldonnis

Of course I have no idea if it shares the same attributes that the files these other guys have. Maybe one of them could slice off a piece, and share it?

Here's a thought. When I used DVDfab to do a repack, no transcoding at all, the result was that no decoder would play it correctly. So maybe it has something to do with how that particular container is split, when using cuda? 

I haven't used DVDfab, but I'd assume they're just doing a remux from the original m2ts file(s) on the UHD to Matroska/mp4.  I'd find it more likely that CUDA is just having issues with certain files because of how they're encoded, even if they're valid according to the spec.  It could even come down to what encoder or options were used when encoding (single vs. multiple SEIs, recovery point info, HRD parameters, etc...there's a lot of variation possible, all valid).  No matter what, if the files and bitstream are okay per the spec, the decoder shouldn't have issues with them, so something's probably not right on nVidia's end.

Guest asrequested

I haven't used DVDfab, but I'd assume they're just doing a remux from the original m2ts file(s) on the UHD to Matroska/mp4. I'd find it more likely that CUDA is just having issues with certain files because of how they're encoded, even if they're valid according to the spec. It could even come down to what encoder or options were used when encoding (single vs. multiple SEIs, recovery point info, HRD parameters, etc...there's a lot of variation possible, all valid). No matter what, if the files and bitstream are okay per the spec, the decoder shouldn't have issues with them, so something's probably not right on nVidia's end.

That's what I thought. I've given them a piece of one of them, and they were able to reproduce what I told them. So it's in their hands, now. They told me they are pretty backed up and may take a while. But as this affects the Shield, too, I feel like they should make it a higher priority. I haven't heard from them since the problem was escalated to the division that handles the actual problem solving. I'll post any developments that they apprise me of. It does seem to be an increasing issue, though.

• 3 months later...
FrostByte

Do you have a sample with audio?  I can't even get it to play in my client (I don't have a Shield) because of an invalid audio error or something.  A quick look, but the x265 parameters look like 99% of all the other reencoded 4K I've seen.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

I will add, that particular video when I play it in mpv with CUDA, it does play correctly. So I don't know why there's an issue in the Emby app.

Edited by Doofus

CBers

I will add that particular video, when I play it in mpv with CUDA, it does play correctly. So I don't know why there's an issue in the Emby app.

So it must be Emby rather than the Shield, as it works in Plex.

The sample video is 3840x600 (2.40:1), whereas all of my HDR movies are 3840x2160 (16:9), so not sure if that's an issue somewhere within Emby.

With Refresh Rate Switching enabled in the ATV app, I did get my TV to trigger HDR.

I wonder what logs we can supply to @@ebr ?

• Like 1

CBers

For the record, I have a 4K movie which is 3840*1600 that doesn't trigger HDR, but all of the rest are 3840*2160.

I will test the movie in Plex when I get a chance.

• Like 1

FrostByte

I have lots of 4K movies with the black bars cropped which trigger HDR using the Samsung app .   Most are 3840*1600.

This one works for me

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

I have lots of 4K movies with the black bars cropped which trigger HDR using the Samsung app .   Most are 3840*1600.

This one works for me

Yeah, it works with everything else, just not in the Emby app on the shield. The MiBox played them, just fine too. 

• Like 1

FrostByte

True, just wanted to confirm it's not the file.  Looks like it's the Emby app like you said if CBers can play it using Plex on his Shield

• Like 1

CBers

@@ebr This needs investigating urgently, as I have done lots of testing with the Emby ATV app, the Emby ET app on my LG tv and with Plex.

With 9 samples I have of 4K videos, the results are as follows:

Emby ATV App - only 3840x2160 videos trigger HDR on my LG 4K TV.

Emby ET App - all videos trigger HDR on my LG 4K TV

Plex ATV App - all videos trigger HDR on my LG 4K TV

I can supply samples and logs if you tell me what you need, but this is a BUG in the Emby ATV app.

Please let me know.

Emby ATV app v1.6.57.

Emby server v3.6.0.63.

• Like 1

CBers

@@ebr - just submitted in-app logs (user=Master).

Played "Ant-Man and the Wasp" (3840x2160) and it triggered HDR.

Played "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (2880x2160) and it didn't trigger HDR.

Played "Wonder Woman" (3840x2160) and it triggered HDR.

Played "The Matrix Reloaded" (3840x1600) and it didn't trigger HDR.

All movies are identified by Emby as being 4K, with "Video Range HDR".

• Like 1

CBers

@@ebr

All of the samples have the same video properties.

Video range HDR
Colour primaries bt2020
Colour space bt2020nc
Colour transfer smpte2084
Pixel format yuv420p10le
  • Like 1

FrostByte

This is kind of a show stopper for me as I'm considering replacing my XB1X with a Shield and the Display Aspect Ratio of most my 4K is such that it gets cropped with reencoding. Looks like an app issue

• Like 1

We already determined previously that this issue is related to videos that have been cropped.  It is something in Exo that we need to work with Google on.  Thanks.

Here's a 2 minute slice of The Martian, with audio, that the HDR isn't used when playing on the shield with the emby app.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQGkgw8fkkrMFyKQ4fl9aOvi6RuhLQHX/view?usp=sharing

@, can you please leave this active for a while?  I want to submit it to Google as an example.  Thanks.

Edit:  Actually, Exo has released a new version that has some very interesting fixes/additions in it so I'm going to update to that before submitting this to them.  While I don't see anything specifically about this issue, maybe it has been taken care of anyway.

Guest asrequested

@, can you please leave this active for a while?  I want to submit it to Google as an example.  Thanks.

Sure. Let me know when you're done with it.

CBers

Edit:  Actually, Exo has released a new version that has some very interesting fixes/additions in it so I'm going to update to that before submitting this to them.  While I don't see anything specifically about this issue, maybe it has been taken care of anyway.

OK, thanks Eric.

Seems strange that the Plex ATV app works though.

• Like 1

CBers

Could Plex be using something other than Exo player?  Or is that the only choice with the Shield

No, it also uses Exoplayer, v2 in this current setup, but it's possible they have forked it.

They probably work close with Google as well.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Thanks for the information guys.  I think I'll hold off again getting the Shield on BF since I already have a XB1X which also doesn't trigger HDR and awaiting MS to release their fix for that.

• Like 1