Cannot install MB Classic 3.0.148.0

lja

"Run the update process" where? and what does "doesn't return anything" mean?

jriker1

I remote into my win 7 mce box, open the MB3 classic app, and click on the update button. There is no messages returned or anything that there is or isn't an update.

JR

jriker1

You cannot update via an RDP session.

Kind of my only option. Machines all tucked away in the basement. Not sure why rdp would be an issue.

yardameus

I remote into my win 7 mce box, open the MB3 classic app, and click on the update button. There is no messages returned or anything that there is or isn't an update.

JR

I'm having the same issue as above (have been for a while, minus the remote access)  Also not able to update from the website, even with an uninstall.

jriker1

ebr was mistaken on the update.  I figured it out for me anyway.  I was trying to update on the config screen withing WMC that launches with the icon on the main screen.  Click on Start > Media Browser Classic Config.  Try clicking the Check for System Update Now... button.  Should tell you there's an update and exit the app and update.  Note when I did the update it just sat at the desktop for a while before anything re-launched so don't think it's not updating, just not very good at telling you what's going on.

JR

yardameus

Still not able to update in any way.  It's been about 6 or 7 versions since I've been able to update via configurator.  I tell it to update, and nothing happens, even if I leave it be for a half hour or more.  Now the website update just keeps trying to install 3.0.140.0.  Is there anything I can dig into that may help.  I can't seem to find any install logs in the MBC folder in the program data folder.  Is there somewhere else I should look?

ebr was mistaken on the update.  I figured it out for me anyway.  I was trying to update on the config screen withing WMC that launches with the icon on the main screen.  Click on Start > Media Browser Classic Config.  Try clicking the Check for System Update Now... button.  Should tell you there's an update and exit the app and update.  Note when I did the update it just sat at the desktop for a while before anything re-launched so don't think it's not updating, just not very good at telling you what's going on.

JR

You actually ran the configurator, not MBC, right?

We cannot update in an RDP session from inside of MBC because that's how extenders manifest themselves and you cannot run the update from an extender.

Still not able to update in any way.  It's been about 6 or 7 versions since I've been able to update via configurator.  I tell it to update, and nothing happens, even if I leave it be for a half hour or more.  Now the website update just keeps trying to install 3.0.140.0.  Is there anything I can dig into that may help.  I can't seem to find any install logs in the MBC folder in the program data folder.  Is there somewhere else I should look?

The install log location is detailed in the How to report a problem post.

It sounds like you may be running into a proxy caching issue but seeing some logs would help determine that.

careca

Same problem here. I can't update to 148.

EBR - I checked the MSI log file and nothing is written there. It just fails. the latest info I have in the log file is regarding the current 140 instalation back in March 14th. I also cleaned the log folder, trigger a new installation, wait for the fail message, went back to the log folder - nothing was there.

If I try to upgrade via the Configurator tool, I get the following: 1) It detects that 148 is available 2) it warns me that the configurator tool will close so the update can start 3) immediately after, I get a "system can't find the specified file" error message. Again, no log entries.

I didn't try to uninstall 140 and then install 148, so let me know if you want me to do any debugging.

Still no dice.  Here's a couple logs...

Your update level is set to Release.  140 is the most recent release level version.

Same problem here. I can't update to 148.

EBR - I checked the MSI log file and nothing is written there. It just fails. the latest info I have in the log file is regarding the current 140 instalation back in March 14th. I also cleaned the log folder, trigger a new installation, wait for the fail message, went back to the log folder - nothing was there.

If I try to upgrade via the Configurator tool, I get the following: 1) It detects that 148 is available 2) it warns me that the configurator tool will close so the update can start 3) immediately after, I get a "system can't find the specified file" error message. Again, no log entries.

I didn't try to uninstall 140 and then install 148, so let me know if you want me to do any debugging.

Read from the beginning of this thread.  There are several posts with the exact same issue and I detail how to fix it.

careca

Read from the beginning of this thread.  There are several posts with the exact same issue and I detail how to fix it.

Oh, I know the fix. I though you were looking for people that can repro this problem and debug why the installation isn't smooth this time around.

Oh, I know the fix. I though you were looking for people that can repro this problem and debug why the installation isn't smooth this time around.

Okay.  No, this is a problem that occurred some time in the past and I can't find where or under what circumstance.  If the fix works for you then there is nothing for me to fix because the installation is working fine.

yardameus

Is there any more extensive sort of uninstall I can do that would have a better chance of eliminating this issue?  Before I couldn't update with the configurator (or in MBC) but now I can't update at all, changing the system level update doesn't have any effect. 

I dunno, I've never seen that happen.

Go into the configurator, change the update level to Release then change it back to Beta then try the update.  If that doesn't work post the configurator log.

• Like 1

HTPCity_Planner

I dunno, I've never seen that happen.

Go into the configurator, change the update level to Release then change it back to Beta then try the update.  If that doesn't work post the configurator log.

That's what worked for me

yardameus

Here are the logs.  I switched the settings to release, then to dev, and finally to Beta.  Closed configurator between changes.  Then I tried to update first from the configurator, no response.  Then I updated from the website.  Same response, it thinks I'm on Release level update. 

This is from the MBCommonXML.config:

<SystemUpdateClass>Beta</SystemUpdateClass>
  <PluginUpdateClass>Beta</PluginUpdateClass>5340aef200fca_Capture.jpg

Configurator-54201427d872ec3a9f4c9280ca40cef904b58a.log

mbc-install.log

Okay, I didn't want you to close the configurator between those steps as that then generates multiple logs.  I wanted to see the whole process.  The log you posted does not appear to have an update attempt in it though.

Can I please see the MBC log from when you did that last update attempt?

I am having the same issue. can not update any longer.. seem stuck at previous version.

Is your update level set to Beta?

Yardemus - I have no idea what is happening with yours.  MBC sees the update to 148 and calls the installer to get it - but it is like the installer isn't getting the parameters being sent to it to tell it to get the beta version.  No idea why.

It can't be a widespread problem as too many people have updated so it must be some sort of anomaly.

yardameus

I figured that as well.  I tried clearing anything related to MBC out and re-installing, still nothing.