Emby client says transcoding, server says direct stream?

Lane03

Lane03

I know changes were made awhile ago about what Emby reports as transcoding to bring it inline with how Plex reports it. While I don't necessarily agree with that decision, I do understand it. It looks like the Roku client is still reporting playback using the old criteria. For example, if I have a mkv file where only the audio needs to be transcoded (say from AAC 7.1 to 5.1), the Emby OSD on Roku reports playback as being transcoded but the server says it's being direct streamed. It was my understanding Emby was only going to use the term transcoding when the video was being modified.

Happy2Play

What is the app version number?  And server version?

Lane03

Beta 3.0.86. Server 3.3.1.0. I had issues with server 3.4 (like many others) so holding off on that version for now, but I believe it was the same when I was on server 3.4.

snodrog742

This may be part of my issue too with my buffering.  How do you get the OSD for Roku to see this, please?

This may be part of my issue too with my buffering.  How do you get the OSD for Roku to see this, please?

This is a report about a purely informational display that is disabled by default so I don't think it can be related to any actual playback problem  you are having.

Thanks.

This app doesn't jump through the hoops to determine the difference between a remux and a full transcode at this point.

snodrog742

This is a report about a purely informational display that is disabled by default so I don't think it can be related to any actual playback problem  you are having.

Thanks.

It does if I don't know what it's actually doing, direct streaming or transcoding.  So do you care to share how to enable the display?

This app doesn't jump through the hoops to determine the difference between a remux and a full transcode at this point.

if transcodingInfo.TranscodeReasons <> invalid
        if transcodingInfo.isAudioDirect = true and transcodingInfo.isVideoDirect = true
                method = "DirectStream Video  & Audio"
        else if transcodingInfo.isVideoDirect = true
                method = "DirectStream Video - Transcode Audio"
        else if transcodingInfo.isAudioDirect = true
                method = "Transcode Video - DirectStream Audio"
        else
                method = "Transcode Video & Audio"
        end if
end if

There isn't really much hoops to jump through. The session info contains the transcoding info above. Once you get that you can figure out the method without using the transcode reason.

Edited by speechles

It does if I don't know what it's actually doing, direct streaming or transcoding.  So do you care to share how to enable the display?

There is a debug option in the settings but I don't suggest leaving it on as it will slow down the app.