Live tv extender?

jriker1

jriker1

Looking to replace mce and have Emby already setup as part of it with Xbox 360s. They are failing and don’t want to buy another one. Question. How good is the live tv vs watching on mce and can you use a second pc as an extender to Emby and watch live tv? Assumption would be server in the basement with Ceton tuner running Emby server. And have PCs replace the xboxes and act as extenders for watching live tv and also recorded shows. Doable? Functional thoughts?

Thanks.

JR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

legallink

I replaced mce with emby.  you will lose encrypted channels.  channel switching is a bit slower.  other than that i would say emby is better.  yes you can watch live tv from as many devices as you have tuners.  i dont believe emby will show the same show on the same tuner to two different end points.

recorded shows can be watched from all end points.  you can schedule recordings fairly easily as well.

nyplayer

I replaced mce with emby.  you will lose encrypted channels.  channel switching is a bit slower.  other than that i would say emby is better.  yes you can watch live tv from as many devices as you have tuners.  i dont believe emby will show the same show on the same tuner to two different end points.

recorded shows can be watched from all end points.  you can schedule recordings fairly easily as well.

EMBY can watch the same channel on multiple devices using only 1 tuner.

• Like 2

Also, you don't have to have PCs.  You could use a Roku or Fire TV or Apple TV or a smart TV we support, etc.

jriker1

Thanks so just to clarify the statement "yes you can watch live tv from as many devices as you have tuners".  I assume I can have a central tuner and the clients will watch live TV thru them.  Each device doesn't need it's own tuner right?

And with Ceton, is this supported natively in Emby?

Thanks.

Steve

Edited by jriker1

Guest asrequested

Thanks so just to clarify the statement "yes you can watch live tv from as many devices as you have tuners".  I assume I can have a central tuner and the clients will watch live TV thru them.  Each device doesn't need it's own tuner right?

And with Ceton, is this supported natively in Emby?

Thanks.

Steve

Yes, the tuners will go through the server.

No, ceton is not natively supported, but can be used with a plugin.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Live%20TV

jriker1

Also, you don't have to have PCs.  You could use a Roku or Fire TV or Apple TV or a smart TV we support, etc.

Cool, hopefully the plugin would work well.  So with the above, they ALL work equally well with live TV and support surround equally for file formats?

Also with WMC I get 5.1 audio from Comcast into my existing WTV files.  Will I still get that?  What format are the files saved in?

Guessing with 70 or so WTV files the only one that would work for me currently is a PC "extender"?  Unless I converted them all to another format?

Last thing I think, but probably not. :)  Is there a plugin for ceton?  I found some reference to the 6 tuner version and it not existing.  I have the 4 tuner model.

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jriker1

jriker1

Next pvr will work with your ceton.

How does that work being a PVR of it's own?  Do I install that and Emby just uses the drivers to access the tuners?  If that is the case, why wouldn't the existing Ceton drivers be adequate? 

Thanks.

JR

arrbee99

You install the NextPVR app and make sure its working / playing fine. Think its best to have the guide working there as well. Then install the Emby NextPVR plugin and see if that works. You'll need to to refresh the guide. Might need to map channels, though maybe not.

jriker1

Would installing ServerWMC on my MCE box make it all just work under Emby?

Also is there a particular device/client that works better for Live TV and also with a remote vs a keyboard/mouse?  Most of the demos I see out there seem very mouse/desktop orientated.

Thanks.

JR

arrbee99

Can you experiment a bit with what you have now ? NextPVR is free to try (and free to buy), as are a few others, like MediaPortal. Personally I use NextPVR as I'm cheap and its made in New Zealand, which is where I live. I'd just download it and give it a go.

No idea about you're audio, except I presume it'll be hardware and what it'll play that decides things and not the tuner software (NPVR or whatever).

Personally (again) I use FireTVs in NZ and they work fine, but I'm just feeding the TV directly so thats just stereo sound.