Many movies not playing back on Emby app on new Fire TV Cube

douglashughey

douglashughey

Did a search for "Fire TV Cube", and came up blank, so posting a new topic.

A great deal of my movies aren't working on my new Fire TV Cube using the Emby app.  They "launch", but then stay at 0:00.  TV shows recorded using WMC and re-encoded using MCEBuddy work fine, and some movies also work fine- generally the older ones.  My hunch is it's an audio encoding issue, because it seems like any content with DD or better is what seems to be failing to play.  All movies seem to work fine on my other Fire TV, Fire TV Sticks, and Emby WMC add-in.  embyserver.txt attached.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Doug

embyserver.txt

Hi.  Which item in that log had a problem?

You say it sticks at 0, does a dialog come up after about 30 seconds?  What happens if you say "yes" in that dialog?

Can you please recreate this issue and follow the instructions to send a log from the app?  

Thanks.

douglashughey

Thank you for your reply.  As for the server log, I tried quite a few movies, and I don't remember exactly which ones worked and didn't.  I think that at least Frozen and Tangled didn't work.  

I just sent a log from the app at approximately 10:30am CT.  The user logged in to the server is "Doug and Jenny".  I was trying to play "Tangled".  

No dialog comes up after 30 seconds.  However, if I click on the settings button while the movie is stuck at 0:00 and choose "Playback Correction", the movie does begin playing.  With "Stats for Nerds" up, it looks like it's basically just switching it from Direct Stream to Transcode, and it works using transcoding.  

Again using Stats for Nerds, it looks like all of the movies that are failing are using a DTS-based codec.  The movies that are working are using a Dolby-based codec or AAC.  This is with a sample size of more than 10- every movie with DTS failed, and every movie with Dolby or AAC worked.  I tried disabling "Enable DTS-HD Pass-thru" in the app settings, but that didn't help.

douglashughey

I think this thread may be related:  https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/59040-fire-tv-3rd-gen-video-playback-issues/. I didn't see a final solution in the thread, but the user also has a newer Fire TV (not the Cube, but I bet the playback hardware and software/OS version are similar if not identical), and the user was reporting movies with DTS not working.  Based on "Stats for Nerds", it looks like Emby is trying to direct-play DTS on my Fire TV Cube, which doesn't support it.  I could be off-base, but I figured I'd mention it.  

The user was actually "Laura and Megan", right...?

The device is reporting support for DTS.

douglashughey

Sorry, Doug & Jenny is what I login to the server with, so that's what I thought you meant.  Laura & Megan was the user logged in and trying to stream the videos.  

So, what is my next step at this point?  If the Fire TV Cube says it supports DTS but doesn't, then that seems like why I'm having the issue.  But I don't know what the fix would be outside of an updated app?  If it DOES support DTS, then I'm still at a loss as to what the problem is, because nothing with DTS is working via the Emby app.  

Just did a bit of research.  Based on the specifications for the Fire TV Cube on this page (https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-tv/device-specifications.html), I don't see anything about it supporting DTS audio.  Maybe the device is incorrectly advertising support to Emby for something it can't actually handle?  

Hi.  I think I've found the issue and it should be addressed in the next beta (1.6.05).

Thanks.

douglashughey

OK- thanks so much!  

I assume you're referring to a beta of the Fire TV app, since the server is on version 3.4.x.  Are there instructions anywhere on how to switch my Fire TV over to the beta channel?  I'd be happy to test out the beta and see if it solves my problem, but I'm just not sure how to do so.

Thanks,

Doug

• 1 month later...
DarkStaff

Hi.  I think I've found the issue and it should be addressed in the next beta (1.6.05).

Thanks.

Any expected date on when this beta will get an official release?

douglashughey

I never did ask to become a part of the beta program to test this, so I'm going to do this right now.  I appreciate you guys working on this!

-Doug

douglashughey

I am using the beta app now.  With the beta, movies with DTS-encoded audio are playing via transcoding to Dolby without having to hit playback correction now.  Woohoo!

In the nerd stats, I see the following relevant stuff:

Playback Info

Play method: Remux

Streaming Info:

Video Codec: H264 (direct)

Audio codec: Dolby

Audio Channels: 5.1

Transcode Reason: Unsupported video

Original Media Info:
Video Codec: H264

Audio Codec: DTS
Audio Channels: 5.1 (or 7.1 for movies with DTS-HD MA)

Glad to see the issue is fixed in the beta.  Thanks for your work on this!

-Doug

douglashughey

That is indeed what it says for transcode reason.  That's why I included that line in my post...it's not hurting anything, but it seemed a bit off :).  I also tested a movie with Dolby True HD which transcoded to Dolby 5.1, and it also gave as the transcode reason "unsupported video", even though the video showed as h.264 direct play, and only the audio was transcoding.

• 1 year later...
petemitch3

I need help. I have a fire cube and am experiencing the same issues. I have to click playback correction on a lot of movies! Is there a fix to this???

I am running on version 1.7.53a for Emby. Still same issues as reported with older version. Please help!

@@petemitch3 can we please look at an example? Thanks !

petemitch3

So I am running Emby 1.7.53a

The movie of choice that I’m running is the kids movie Bolt

The movie started right away, but after watching it we realized it was in Hebrew. Running Hebrew DD stereo(default) under audio tab

I switched it to English DTS 5.1 and then the movie failed to playback. While in the movie I was able to click settings and then click playback correction and it would work.

The following stats are from the English version that DID NOT WORK.

The second image are stats after I click playback correction

Does this help? Or what else do u guys need?

post-353600-0-78683300-1570979257_thumb.jpeg

post-353600-0-57325800-1570979412_thumb.jpeg