“Always” audio setting in new Oreo update for Xiaomi Mi Box

Richard Branches
Go to solution Solved by CBers,

Richard Branches

We can do that too, just not on the device at this time.

I hope you do in a near future, but don't do anything yet until I test both devices to see what's going on with "Auto" on Emby under Android Oreo, meanwhile please visit developer.dolby.com to learn how to provide support.

Plex is not converting it directly but it tells the device to do so when Dolby Audio support is present

How do you know that?

That's OK but "Auto" is not working with Emby and I suspect it's broken since Oreo arrived, I was unable to test it before because I was busy at my work but now that I received this device I'm going to do more testing with both devices to see what happens. I'll let you know.

Why do you think the auto setting is broken?  I have no knowledge or reports of it having any problems.

Richard Branches

Why do you think the auto setting is broken?  I have no knowledge or reports of it having any problems.

Because of the quick test I made but I'm still not 100% sure, that's why I need to do more testing with the old and new device and I will confirm later if I was right or wrong, it's just that I've been busy lately.

Richard Branches

How do you know that?

Before I answer your question, I'm going to use Windows 10 and the Netflix app as an example:

Windows 10 has Dolby Audio built-in and the Netflix app has a kind of "auto detection" for Dolby Audio. I don't have a modern AV receiver so I need to use an HDMI extractor with my computer in order to get Dolby Digital and DTS audio from the optical audio port.

The Netflix app on Windows 10 always shows the 5.1 logo on movies and tv shows that support the audio format regardless of where it is connected, meanwhile, on the Mi Box, the logo won't appear unless the device is connected to an AV receiver or TV with Dolby Digital Plus support by its HDMI inputs. The difference here is, one device has REAL Dolby Audio support while the other doesn't, that's why the 5.1 logo always appear on Windows 10 and not in the Mi Box.

When I play a movie or tv show with 5.1 audio, the Netflix app in conjunction with Dolby Audio built in Windows 10 detect that my computer is connected to an "audio system" (the extractor) with only Dolby Digital support, so the computer converts automatically the Dolby Digital Plus bitstream into Dolby Digital and sends the result to the optical audio port for playback by my old home theater system.

To answer your question, I believe the Plex app has the same support as the Netflix app, but it won't work if the device doesn't have a REAL Dolby Audio licence, that's why it has never worked on the Mi Box but it's working on this new Mecool device and that's why I also believe the device does the conversion (hardware decoding maybe?) but if it's not, one thing is for sure, they both need to support Dolby Audio in order to work.

Edited by delacosta78

• 3 weeks later...
Richard Branches
I wasn't able to test the Mecool KM8 device with 5.1 audio until today and I found out the "Auto" audio setting in Emby in conjunction with the "Auto" audio setting on this device is passing through Dolby Digital 5.1 but it's downmixing DTS to stereo and I suspect the reason is the additional audio setting called "Digital Sounds" (I tried with HDMI RAW and SPDIF RAW).

It's not even working with the "Always" audio setting, the RAW stream is sent as stereo as well.

It's important to clarify this device has DTS support and it's working with Plex.

In case you need the logs, they were sent on 09/10/2018 at 5:43 pm and the server log is attached here as well.

embyserver.txt

Richard Branches

There is no playback in the app log you sent.

I don't know why but I played one video file with DTS I have for a few minutes, is that the reason why?

I see the file I played in the server log:

2018-09-10 17:41:27.337 Info App: Profile: Android-Exo, Path: D:\Usuarios\delacosta78\Videos\Videos Musicales\Interstella 5555 The 5tory of the 5ecret 5tar 5ystem (2003).mkv, isEligibleForDirectPlay: True, isEligibleForDirectStream: True

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

I don't know why either but there wasn't so, if you can submit another one..

App log sent again today at 11:38 am.

For some reason, the player is spitting out so many messages that it is overwhelming the log and I'm not able to see the start of playback.  Can you please try playing for just a few seconds and then stopping and sending the log?

Thanks.

Richard Branches

For some reason, the player is spitting out so many messages that it is overwhelming the log and I'm not able to see the start of playback.  Can you please try playing for just a few seconds and then stopping and sending the log?

Thanks.

I sent the log again on 09/11/18 at 11:39 pm.

For some reason, it is sending it through ffmpeg which is downmixing it.

Can you please try this with the current beta?

Richard Branches

For some reason, it is sending it through ffmpeg which is downmixing it.

Can you please try this with the current beta?

It's still downmixing the audio, I sent the log again at 3:35 pm.

Richard Branches

Can you please confirm the Audio setting in the app...?

The app is set to "Auto", the device audio setting is set to "Auto" and the additional audio setting called "Digital Sounds" is set to HDMI RAW.

Richard Branches

@, have you explored your device audio settings?

The main audio setting has "Auto", "Always" and "None" and the additional audio setting called "Digital Sounds" has PCM, SPDIF RAW and HDMI RAW.

Richard Branches

I found the reason why it's not working: I downloaded a video with regular DTS and it works, which means, DTS-HD Master Audio streams are getting downmixed to stereo because they are not supported by the device, however, Emby app is ignoring the core DTS and that's what it should passthrough instead.

I sent a log at 4:19 pm just in case you need it.

Edited by delacosta78

• Solution

I found the reason why it's not working: I downloaded a video with regular DTS and it works, which means, DTS-HD Master Audio streams are getting downmixed to stereo because they are not supported by the device, however, Emby app is ignoring the core DTS and that's what it should passthrough instead.

I sent a log at 4:19 pm just in case you need it.

Do you have the DTS-HD MA option enabled in the settings in the app ??

• Like 1

Richard Branches

Do you have the DTS-HD MA option enabled in the settings in the app ??

I forgot about that option!, I turned it off and it works now!, thank you for the tip, now this issue is resolved for good.

• Like 1