Video playback problems

williamgaither

williamgaither

After video playback the remaining time goes negative and the video continues to play from a seemingly random point. Keep up the awesome work by the way I'm loving this community!

Hi.  If you set the playback quality to a value that causes a transcode, does this problem go away?

williamgaither

I am unsure of a way to change quality on the Roku client but I can recall this happening with files that require transcoding as well as files that do not

Edited by williamgaither

williamgaither

I am trying this now. So far I've only observed this with tv shows, but this could be due to me not fully completing the playback on movies. With tv shows when transcoding is required because of incompatible file types this still happens. It also happens when there is no transcoding. as I said I will reply after this episode is over to see if changing the quality to require transcoding on a file that usually doesn't will change anything. Thanks for the quick responses btw guys I really appreciate it, stay awesome!

Edited by williamgaither

williamgaither

I can confirm that this still happens when transcoding due to quality. Here is a pic of what I'm talking about in case it's unclear https://ibb.co/foTnZo as you can see the remaining time reads -10 and the video is playing from a random mid point. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...
Riggs

Hi guys, even my main player is the NS (into my room) I have a Roku4 Ultra for my kids living room.

I found problems with this Roku in the living room, it don't have a receiver or soundbar and the TV support stereo and virtual surround only.

The TV is 1080p screen 55" the hdmi wire is HDMI 1.4 and it goes direct to the TV HDMI port 1.

The movie collection that i have are 90% complete blu-ray's, remuxed from the blu-ray to a MKV container. That means that i take the main audio of the blu-ray and, if is secondary audo available,(for compatibility), i inlude that secondary audio and most of the time can be ac3 5.1 or 2.0 or dts 2.0 or even for older movies mono. The other aprox. 10% of the collection are in DVD or 720p, not available on blu-ray but also merged into MKV container. 

My Windows Server version is the lastest beta available and checked every day, wich is working like mint at this moment on my Shield TV with 4K etc.

After explain the scenario.

The issue is almost with all movies, because need some transcoding, because the audio, the TV can handle 1080p or less without any problem (BTW, the 4k content is not available to kids user only 1080p or less)

Most of the times the movie doesn't start or still "tinking" it happends more if the audio is ThrueHD or DTS with 7.1 channels.

I have plenty space to transcode in my main MC2 HDD with a dedicated folder for it.

So, the question is if you have some hint about why this happend. 

I going to leave a log maybe tomorrow or the next time my kids turn on the device.

BTW, to avoid some problems like this, I suggest that the settings can be changed it in the main movie screen, BEFORE hit the play buttom. What I mean is, can choose the audio or subs before play the movie.

(This can be useful on Android TV app too). Just a kind suggestion.  :)

Thanks in advance.

@@Luke @@ebr

Edited by HRSCR

Riggs

What exactly is the problem? I don't quite understand.

Hi @@Luke

Thanks for your quick answer.

Video playback issues.

The issue is almost with all movies, because need some transcoding, because the audio (high quality), the TV can handle 1080p or less without any problem (BTW, the 4k content is not available to kids user only 1080p or less) <------the TV is stereo, only. The audio almost always will be need to be transcoded. --  90% of the time, the movie can't be watched.

Most of the times the movie doesn't start or still "tinking" it happends more if the audio is ThrueHD or DTS with 7.1 channels.<----- the issue... and.. in fact happends with any audio that is not stereo, sometimes less, sometimes more, is random. 

I have plenty space to transcode in my main MC2 HDD with a dedicated folder for it.<---- that means that i don't have space problems or HDD speed lag for transcoding.

So, the question is if you have some hint about why this happend. <--- some hint?

I going to leave a log maybe tomorrow or the next time my kids turn on the device. <--- today, later, i going to play with the roku to generate the logs to give you more info.

BTW, to avoid some problems like this, I suggest that the settings can be changed it in the main movie screen, BEFORE hit the play buttom. What I mean is, can choose the audio or subs before play the movie.

(This can be useful on Android TV app too). Just a kind suggestion

I leave in bold the points.

I change all options on the audio Roku settings and test with all and is the same with any that i choose.

What i know is that Roku is a pain with the audio.

Thanks

Riggs

Have you checked out our wiki article Why is My Media Transcoding?

Yes, of course that's why i ask until know after some months of testing options and configurations.

I know that needs to be transcoded for audio or sometime or subs

With that example in the wiki i almost not have problems because is ac3 5.1 but with more complex and higher bitrates of ThrueHD or DTS:X or similar i can't figured out how fix the problem.

In my remuxes I try to leave a secondary ac3 5.1 audio or dts 5.1 when they are available from the source,

The thing is, if the default auido for example is Atmos and i have a secondary audio on ac3 5.1 I'm not able to change it once the file start playing (The app leave me choose the another audio but it still stuck in the main audio.

If the movie only have Atmos, the file can't be played. I change and test I think all possible combinations of bitrate, from auto to maximum. 

What i do is: stop and close the app, go downstairs to the server, change the audio for the secondary in the server, and try with a secondary ac3 audio and it works.

That's why i ask in the request section for the setup option before play the file. At least in that way i don't have to go to the server each time and change the default audio for another less complex....

Any ideas?

That's why i ask in the request section for the setup option before play the file. At least in that way i don't have to go to the server each time and change the default audio for another less complex....

We'll see what @@ebr thinks. Thanks.

Riggs

Ok @@Luke and @@ebr

Here the logs and media info of the movie tested.

I use auto and max bitrate at 80 mb/s 

In both setting test the start play after 2 minutes and 15 seconds aprox. Same time have to wait if the movie is advanced (fast foward) 

Media info:

Complete name                            : K:\DRAMA-1\Eat Pray Love (2010).mkv
Format                                   : Matroska
Format version                           : Version 4 / Version 2
File size                                : 27.3 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 25 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 26.8 Mb/s
Encoded date                             : UTC 2017-09-12 21:10:12
Writing application                      : mkvmerge v15.0.0 ('Duel with the Devil') 64-bit
Writing library                          : libebml v1.3.5 + libmatroska v1.4.5

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings                          : CABAC / 2 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, RefFrames               : 2 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 24.0 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.482
Stream size                              : 24.4 GiB (90%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : DTS
Format/Info                              : Digital Theater Systems
Format profile                           : MA / Core
Codec ID                                 : A_DTS
Bit rate mode                            : Variable / Constant
Bit rate                                 : 2 792 kb/s / 1 509 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 93.750 FPS (512 SPF)
Bit depth                                : 24 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossless / Lossy
Stream size                              : 2.84 GiB (10%)

Text #1
ID                                       : 3
Format                                   : UTF-8
Codec ID                                 : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info                            : UTF-8 Plain Text
Duration                                 : 2 h 18 min
Bit rate                                 : 54 b/s
Count of elements                        : 1635
Stream size                              : 55.3 KiB (0%)
Language                                 : Spanish

Text #2
ID                                       : 4
Format                                   : PGS
Muxing mode                              : zlib
Codec ID                                 : S_HDMV/PGS
Codec ID/Info                            : Picture based subtitle format used on BDs/HD-DVDs
Duration                                 : 2 h 18 min
Bit rate                                 : 34.2 kb/s
Count of elements                        : 3288
Stream size                              : 33.7 MiB (0%)
Default                                  : No

Menu
00:00:00.000                             : en:Plan B
00:10:37.845                             : en:The Bookstore
00:18:37.366                             : en:The Divorce
00:31:48.656                             : en:Italy - Eat
00:40:06.237                             : en:Spagetti
00:47:12.704                             : en:Pizza
00:56:22.629                             : en:Thanksgiving Dinner
01:03:20.796                             : en:India - Pray
01:13:44.211                             : en:Great Meditation
01:19:20.964                             : en:Arranged Marriage
01:25:30.959                             : en:Richards Story
01:38:32.948                             : en:Bali - Love
01:44:07.991                             : en:Chance Meeting
01:52:44.841                             : en:Hangover Cure
02:02:44.273                             : en:Hanging Out Together
02:12:55.008                             : en:Giving Up

Logs zipped: (10 files 9 of transcode and 1 of the server) 

Thanks

ffmpeg-transode-ROKU-4-ULTRA-logs-and-emby-server.zip

The Roku doesn't support PGS subtitles and therefore we have to burn them in with transcoding, however it doesn't look like your system can do that fast enough. I would suggest obtaining external text based subtitles. Our subtitle download feature can help with that.

As far as setting subtitles prior to playback directly in the app, we'll see what @@ebr thinks. Thanks !

Riggs

The Roku doesn't support PGS subtitles and therefore we have to burn them in with transcoding, however it doesn't look like your system can do that fast enough. I would suggest obtaining external text based subtitles. Our subtitle download feature can help with that.

As far as setting subtitles prior to playback directly in the app, we'll see what @@ebr thinks. Thanks !

Thanks @@Luke

But wait, the default subtitle is srt and is spanish, and how you can see in the mediaInfo it is the default. The english .PGS subtitle there is secondary and is not the default or forced. I always leave into the mkv's an english sub to "consult" some term of rare words that you can find in many movies.

My wife needs the spanish subs by default and in this case is on .srt format.

I can get the original pgs sub from the blu-ray and... when i have time after your advice about .PGS's subs, i try to do the "ocr" and make the srt, but they need some work and time (that i don't have) for to the corrections to the known "ocr" limitations. 

The spanish subs in my mkv's are setting by default for my wife.

Another question is why the .srt need to be at side of the container?  In fact i had the job of mux the .srt subs into the mkv's in all my collection to avoid a large amount of files.

Weird and new for me this thing with the pgs, never happend to me this situation.

That kind of issue with the subs was 80% fixed on Android TV APP (the PGS's sometimes lost the border or just show a "siluet" of the characters/letters/words).

For this kind of events/issues, i don't like use another player or secondary APP, and saddly, i have to do it (I hate Kodi)... yes....but using Kodi i can avoid any subtitle situation when the Emby APP can't do the job correctly on Android TV for example.
Kodi we know that is not an option on Roku system, but the default player can be used via DLNA and it shows the subs without problems and playback the movie fine... nevermind if the default Roku player is the worst (talk for me, i know many people love Kodi and i respect that).

Plus, i can handle this problem because i'm some kind of weird nerd, but my family can't solved the playback issues. They, just open the app, and hit the play button.

I used .pgs, or vobs for many years, this subtitle issue is new for me. The only issue that i found was with Plex when they migrate to exoplayer a year ago, but they address the problem and was solved a long time ago maybe in a week or so and Roku is not Android, they use his own system.

i don't understand this pgs/srt subtitles predicament... help!

Thank you!

Riggs

Aditional info

Important, and maybe you need to know.

For transcoding the directory is on fast M2 HDD.

The processor is an Intel i7 7700K

Memory 32GB

Windows 10 pro updated.

Last: Never had burn issues even with 4 users at the same time with the "P" (server and client) software.

Riggs

I suscribed a minutes ago to the Roku beta channel to get faster updates and continue help with feedback to the developers.

Thanks

The issue here doesn't appear to be audio or subs.  The video is doing a full transcode but I cannot see why.  The bitrate is within the request and the url only reports an unsupported audio codec.

Your server is not fast enough to do the video transcode.