Transcoding Question From New User

Fritz12

Fritz12

How do I know what Emby is transcoding?

New user here - I've transferred all of my Blu-ray and DVD titles to my Synology DS 218+ (with two 8 TB drives, 6 GB RAM) and as you Synology users know, there is a Resource Monitor to observe the CPU and RAM usage during playback.

I transferred all of discs using MakeMKV and I have compressed all BD titles with HandBrake. All BD titles are much smaller than the 20-40 GB that they started when first transferred. Most are MKV.

On some titles, CPU usage will go very high - in the 80% - 90% (or higher) range. Some BD titles will do this - some won't. I just ran a Standard Definition DVD title that caused CPU to go to 99%, with no subtitles selected.

I see the "ffmpeg-transcode" titles in the Logs page, but the amount of information there makes me cross-eyed. What do I look for in the logs to determine what is being transcoded?

And why would Emby transcode a SD DVD title (6 GB) with no subtitles selected?

Note that all of my playback devices are Roku Streaming Sticks, and I did set the "Video Quality" on the Emby Roku App to 80 Mbps, and the Automatic (default) setting makes no difference.

This transcoding issue is making me crazy because I DO need subtitles from time to time, but the constant buffering during playback is getting intolerable. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Fritz12

And why would Emby transcode a SD DVD title (6 GB) with no subtitles selected?

Hi there, I would suggest checking out our wiki article, Why is My Media Transcoding?

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

arrbee99

Think I found DVD's get transcoded because they're all / some / possibly interlaced and it depends on what device / software you're playing it on. Fr'instance, was just playing a DVD rip of 101 Dalmations and it Direct Plays on the Emby Theater app but Transcodes in Chrome. Same for some audio formats that won't Direct Play on my Fire TV.

Fritz12

Hi there, I would suggest checking out our wiki article, Why is My Media Transcoding?

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

Okay, I read the wiki page you sent me to, and I did look at the Media Info (below) that was suggested there. Is it the MPEG2VIDEO codec that's causing transcode? If so, is there anything that I can do to fix that?

Video Title480P MPEG2VIDEO

CodecMPEG2VIDEO

ProfileMain

Level8

Resolution720x480

Aspect ratio4:3

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate29.97003

Bitrate4405 kbps

Color primariessmpte170m

Color spacesmpte170m

Color transfersmpte170m

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames1

Audio TitleEng Dolby Digital stereo Default

Languageeng

CodecAC3

Layoutstereo

Channels2 ch

Bitrate192 kbps

Sample rate48000 Hz

DefaultYes

Subtitle TitleEng Default

Languageeng

CodecDVDSUB

DefaultYes

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Subtitle TitleEng

Languageeng

CodecDVDSUB

DefaultNo

ForcedNo

ExternalNo

Containermkv

Path/volume1/video/Science Fiction/The Abyss.mkv

Edited by Fritz12

Fritz12

Also, one of my BD titles that transcodes when subtitles are turned on is "PGSSUB" and that is one that will trigger transcoding, right?

I know that I can download SRT subtitles from an external source, but is there a way to get the Emby Server to do that globally for every title that I have? It would be a real chore to have to do that for more than 500 titles...

arrbee99

Would this (Library > three dots > Manage Library) help with anything. Am not a subtitle person, so just wondering...

5b2ecffc91e29_Embysubtitles.jpg

Edited by arrbee99

Fritz12

Would this (Library > three dots > Manage Library) help with anything. Am not a subtitle person, so just wondering...

I did look at that, and set up everything as it should (I think), and I do have an OpenSubtitle account which I input, but I'm not seeing if the SRT files were downloaded and if so, where they are. Aren't they supposed to be stored with the video files? Or are they invisible?

I did look at that, and set up everything as it should (I think), and I do have an OpenSubtitle account which I input, but I'm not seeing if the SRT files were downloaded and if so, where they are. Aren't they supposed to be stored with the video files? Or are they invisible?

There is an option to save them alongside the media. You can toggle that in the settings for that particular library.

arrbee99

Sorry, didn't notice the Roku bit in your first post. Far as I can see Roku doesn't natively play mpeg2 or pgs subs. Might It be best to just look through the Media Info of the stuff that Direct Plays vs the the stuff that Transcodes, just to check If its purely a subtitles thing or purely an mpeg2 thing or purely a DTS audio thing. My blurays have been MakeMKV'd and Handbraked, most play Direct on a Fire TV but some transcode due to some audio codec it doesn't like.

Am not a subtitles person so have never used that Emby feature, only have subtitles for the odd bit of French, or German, or Klingon  :) in English movies.

Sorry. Really don't think I'm helping much.

Fritz12

Sorry. Really don't think I'm helping much.

You did, thanks. I didn't know those bits about the Roku.