Package Center Emby Updates Fail After Latest DSM 6.2 Update

DarWun

DarWun

@@solabc16,

This is a heads up on a potential issue with Emby Package Center updates on the Synology platform following an update to recently released DMS v6.2-23739.  My DS414 NAS updated this morning.  Shortly after the update, the revamped Package Center notified me that beta update v3.4.1.18 was available for Emby. After selecting the update option, the operation failed. Rebooting the NAS does not resolve the issue.

There is a post in the Synology community forums where a small number of other users have reported that package updates are failing with the new DSM version. So something seems to have changed with the way the Package Center delivers updates. 

Edited by DarWun

Good day,

I see this as well, update failed notice as soon you click on "update".

5b2ef390091e0_20180624_42012.jpg

My best

• Like 1

solabc16

Hello @@DarWun

Thanks for the information, we did see this a couple of times with the beta releases of 6.2, but it was not consistently reproducible; rebooting the NAS seemed to always resolve it.

We'll have to take another look if it's still happening with the final release; we haven't seen it on the test systems.

First thing to check, would be that the certificate is still installed correctly - you will be find this under Package Centre -> Settings.

You could try deleting the Emby LLC repository and certificate, rebooting the NAS and then re-adding the URL.

Let us know how you get on and if possible can you run the send logs utility:- https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

First thing to check, would be that the certificate is still installed correctly - you will be find this under Package Centre -> Settings.

You could try deleting the Emby LLC repository and certificate, rebooting the NAS and then re-adding the URL.

Good day James,

Well I did the above, still same thing, I see beta .20 but same fail operational.

BTW, I never come cross this problem before, only after the latest DSM update.

My best

Seger
Hello James @@solabc16,

First of all thank you very much for joining the BetaTeam :-). I just wanted to change, adjusted the pledge and immediately I was shown an update to the latest beta. As soon as I click on "Update", I get the same error as the others here.

I'll, just restart it and see if it does anything. If it has no effect, I will send you my details / report.

Best regards
Seger

5b31088acc744_Emby.jpg

Edited by Seger

DarWun

Hello @@DarWun

Thanks for the information, we did see this a couple of times with the beta releases of 6.2, but it was not consistently reproducible; rebooting the NAS seemed to always resolve it.

We'll have to take another look if it's still happening with the final release; we haven't seen it on the test systems.

Let us know how you get on and if possible can you run the send logs utility:- https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

Thanks @@solabc16 I deleted the repositories, and rebooted...certificates were removed.  After the reboot I added the repository for the stable version of Emby (https://synology.emby.media/).  A certificate was added.  After rebooting, I did not receive notification of a beta version being available.  I added the beta package source (EDIT: please see https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-Accessing-Beta-and-Development-Releases and PM to join the beta test group) and rebooted.  No certificate was added.  But there was notification of a new beta version being available ( v3.4.1.20). The update failed.

I've uploaded the log files (sendlogs_MediaStorage_synology_armadaxp_ds414_20180625T233937UTC.tgz)

Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Hello @@Seger

There is a maximum compressed archive size we'll accept, so at 114M it would seem your system has generated some pretty sizeable log files.

We might need to clear a few of them first, let me know if you need some pointers on how to do that.

I'll post some further updates to try and resolve the issues some are seeing with DSM 6.2 a little later today.

Best

- James

Seger

Hello @@Seger

There is a maximum compressed archive size we'll accept, so at 114M it would seem your system has generated some pretty sizeable log files.

We might need to clear a few of them first, let me know if you need some pointers on how to do that.

I'll post some further updates to try and resolve the issues some are seeing with DSM 6.2 a little later today.

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_avoton_2415+_20180626T220401UTC.tgz

solabc16

Thanks @@Seger - let me know if you see the same issue when trying to update to the 3.4.1.21-beta, which will be available shortly.

Best

- James

Seger

Thanks @@Seger - let me know if you see the same issue when trying to update to the 3.4.1.21-beta, which will be available shortly.

Best

- James

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_avoton_2415+_20180626T223626UTC.tgz

5b32c01529c44_Bild.jpgI have restarted the server, emby also starts normally, but can not update

Edited by Seger

Good day,

Same failed issue with beta .21

sendlogs_ayajnas_synology_bromolow_3615xs_20180627T004357UTC.tgz

My best

DarWun

I also received a failed operation notification when trying to update to Emby beta .21.

sendlogs_MediaStorage_synology_armadaxp_ds414_20180627T012722UTC.tgz

Regards.

solabc16

Thanks all for the logs, this does look similar to what we saw during the 6.2 beta phase; in that it doesn't appear to be actually trying to connect to the repository at all.

If possible, can you run the following from an SSH session and post the output here...

grep -i "emby" /var/log/messages | tail -n 50

...let me know if you need any help with this.

Best

- James

Thanks all for the logs, this does look similar to what we saw during the 6.2 beta phase; in that it doesn't appear to be actually trying to connect to the repository at all.

If possible, can you run the following from an SSH session and post the output here...

grep -i "emby" /var/log/messages | tail -n 50

...let me know if you need any help with this.

Best

- James

Good day James,

Here :

EDIT: Thanks, have removed (See below)

My best

Edited by solabc16

solabc16

Thanks @@Abobader, nothing of particular note there and again it seems to indicate it simply isn't trying.

I've removed the above output now, as some of it is sensitive.

What day did you update to 6.2?

Best

- James

Thanks @@Abobader, nothing of particular note there and again it seems to indicate it simply isn't trying.

Best

- James

Good day James,

I normally like to update the nas, also some security note fixed in that build and upcoming build as well.

But till you the truth, this the worst update I see it coming from synology.

My best

DarWun

Best

- James

@@solabc16 Do you still want others to post the results of "grep -i "emby" /var/log/messages | tail -n 50"?  I'm a little hesitant of doing so after your comment about the results containing sensitive information.  Personally, I don't see anything sensitive in the output. But better safe than sorry.

solabc16

Hello @@DarWun

Yes please, you can PM it to me instead.... are you still seeing the same issue on your system?

Best

- James

Seger

Hey, I added another log to you and fulfilled the other requirement, I hope that helps you !?

Unfortunately could not install a beta version until now.

No matter how, thank you first!

Best regards

Seger

--->

sendlogs_DiskStation_synology_avoton_2415+_20180627T231230UTC.tgz

Edited by Seger

DarWun

Hello @@DarWun

Yes please, you can PM it to me instead.... are you still seeing the same issue on your system?

Best

- James

@@solabc16 Yes I'm still seeing the same issue.  I'll send you a PM with the results.

Edited by DarWun

solabc16

Hello All

A quick update for you, we're still working to troubleshoot this issue with DSM 6.2. Thanks to all who are assisting and have provided data either here or via PM.

We've now managed to replicate the issue on a test system here, so that makes life a little easier in terms of the tools and resource we can bring to bear.

At present, the issue appears to be specifically with packages marked as beta, as we can see a wide ranges of systems have either installed or upgraded successfully to the current stable release whilst on DSM 6.2.

Package Center under DSM 6.2 also appear to suffer from a caching/non-updating issue which was seen on earlier versions of DSM; in that it simply does not connect to the configured package sources. This happens regardless of whether the system has been rebooted and/or the refresh triggered manually. As before, changing the network settings, applying them, then setting them back as they were seems to bring Package Center 'back to life' and it will connect to the package source and display the available packages.

The failure to install the latest available beta when pressing the update button is happening 'on the box'. The "operation failed" message we are seeing is not in response to something being returned from the package server. Now it's possible that something in the prior response or existing installation is the cause of this, but so far we haven't been able to identify any specific differences between this and other packages.

I'll post more as soon as we have further details to share and of course, please feel free to post any observations in the meantime.

Best

- James

• Like 1

solabc16

This is a quick update for the benefit of the wider community, as it seems this is DSM 6.2 related, as opposed to something we're doing here:-

• On the box itself, we can see whether Package Center has pulled updated information from the source server by monitoring this file '/var/cache/pkglist.tmp/otherserver.enu'. On the server side, we're tracing requests at both the packet and httpd level. With known changes made on the source side, no amount of manually refreshing Package Center or leaving it to its own devices for up to an hour results in the changes appearing.

5b37c8a6d1def_package_center_01.png

• Rebooting the system does not appear to have any effect, nor does removing and re-adding the package source.

5b37c8b3858aa_package_center_02.png

• Switching the network configuration to DHCP and back to manual however, does bring Package Center 'back to life'. There could well be other triggers, this is just something I recalled from the distant past with a previous DSM version.

5b37c8c447097_package_center_03.png

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16