Emby Server - Character Art

Embyfied

Embyfied

Character art is popular for TV Shows. I think Emby (<-- spell check) Server should support scraping and saving/serving this artwork for/to the community.

Thank you.

Deathsquirrel

Do you have screenshots of a skin that uses this?  I'm not seeing how this is different than several other existing image types that barely get support.

• Like 1

Embyfied

Character art is popular. You know what, as you say, "how this is different than several other existing image types that barely get support."

I guess you'll be "Astounding"  and I'll be "Neutral". Character art is all over Fanart.tv for TV shows.

Sorry for bothering everyone.

Happy2Play

Character art is popular. You know what, as you say, "how this is different than several other existing image types that barely get support."

I guess you'll be "Astounding"  and I'll be "Neutral". Character art is all over Fanart.tv for TV shows.

Sorry for bothering everyone.

If you showed some examples (screenshots) of their usage it could promote more emphasis on adding them.

Embyfied

Upper left corner. Obviously not Clearart or Clearlogo as they are displayed as well.

<Shooting self in foot> It probably doesn't matter because Emby, or Emby for Kodi, doesn't display artwork properly in Kodi. I had to run the above through Artwork Beef to look right.</Shooting self in foot>

Emby Server is the best artwork back-end I've ever used (and I've used many). I was surprised when character art wasn't there.

Ten years ago, I would add it myself (it's "almost" a copy/paste of the code that's already there; changing "clearlogo" to "character").

Thank you for your time.

post-322452-0-90430600-1529682139_thumb.jpg

Edited by Embyfied

Deathsquirrel

Thanks!  That may be the most Kodi UI I've ever seen but if people want that it's no skin off my nose.

• Like 1

I think that we already support it, if you use the image editor to search supergirl for art images, i see the one you've got above.

Happy2Play

I think that we already support it, if you use the image editor to search supergirl for art images, i see the one you've got above.

Character art is in the top left.  Emby can retrieve Clear Art which is the top right

chef

I've always thought the rotating charater art on Apple TV looked cool. The kids love when you're browsing their tv an movies and their favorite characters are scrolling on the screen:)

I've always thought the rotating charater art on Apple TV looked cool. 

Where does this happen?

Embyfied

Where does this happen?

When I was playing with making Character art work in Emby Server, I thought I would save it to the "disc" option because Character art is never used for movies and Disc art is never used for TV Shows. My test resulted in Kiefer Sutherland (24 - TV Show) rotating where a disc would have been if it is was a movie (guess the skin developer never thought a Character would appear in a disc space either). :)

I doubt this is what chef is talking about, but I did find it amusing at the time and was happy my kids didn't see it and ask it to stay forever.

chef

Where does this happen?

I'm pretty sure it happens either in Netflix under the kids section or it happens under iTunes videos under the kids section.

By rotating I mean it was a carousel of character art rotating towards the edge of the screen

It's been a while.

Edit: It's a screen that looks like this, only when you choose kids stuff it is character art

https://goo.gl/images/hZKyuE

Edited by chef

• 3 years later...
Lighthammer

Reposting here to bump thread in support:

It occurs to me that the various databases have a great array of images for actors that sometimes will include series specific pictures for them.

A few series that pop out to me are Various Star Trek Series, Various TMNT Series, Knights of the Templar, the various CW DC Series; many more.

I don't tend to use these so that I don't see one of the posters popup for an actor on a completely unrelated series.

Could we have a feature that allows us to have several posters/art for a single actor and specific which to use as default and which to use on specific series?

---

Another random feature request (possibly/probably deserving its own thread), on the same vein as actor metadata, currently, we have all the actors on a series get crammed on a single line. I would love to have an option to allow people to display two additional lines for actors, 1 for season regulars (not series regulars, regulars that are for one season only) and then an additional one for notable guest stars.

Considering some might see this as clutter, especially if a super awesome way to display this doesn't come along, I would highly recommend that the server admin can opt to turn this feature off and users can also opt to turn this feature on and off; obviously if the server admin opts to turn it off, its turned off for everyone.

Embyfied

I ended up using "disc" as "character" in my custom skins. Sometimes it spins when I don't want it to, but that's my problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Embyfied.