Wrong time in Emby APP

Ace of Space

5 hours ago, galilrage said:

why not just create a setting in the app where someone can either choose their timezone, or GMT +/- hours.  This way it shouldn't be dependant on anything on the TV, or the IP address

Hi, yes it's possible we may end up doing that.

• 1 month later...
lejared

Why not just have an option to use time and timezone from the emby server? I guess most users will have there Samsung TV and emby server in the same time zone, if not in the same room.

FrostByte

That would probably be the best solution for most.  However, there are probably a few people who live in another time zone from where the Emby server is located.   Some sort of an offset in settings should work for everyone.

SamES

Yeah, I like either a +/- offset or the ability set a time zone. The problem with a time zone is that you then also need to consider daylight saving. 

LG tv’s have an additional quirk where the time returned by the OS to apps applies the correct time zone, but not the daylight savings offset. In this case, having just a tz selection wouldn’t be enough. 

That’s why I prefer just a direct +/- offset, which would need to be in 30 minute increments. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Aelorean

I'm so glad that this is a known issue and that it's not just me.  I was going insane trying to figure out why the time is so wildly off all the time, when my Emby server is accurate and the TV time is set correctly.

It's very strange that Samsung can't seem to fix this.  I mean, why not just expose the actual time set in the TV settings?    It boggles the mind.

Also....

Why not just have an option to use time and timezone from the emby server? I guess most users will have there Samsung TV and emby server in the same time zone, if not in the same room.

While this might not be a perfect solution (for the reason that FrostByte mentioned), I do think it's a LOT better option than how it's working right now....

Edited by Aelorean
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...
Chris442

We have several Samsung Smart TVs and we just noticed the time in Emby as well as the guide are one hour behind the actual time.  We checked the TVs time and it was set to auto and was also one hour behind so we set it to manual and corrected the time but Emby is still one hour behind.  This only applies on the TVs.  All mobile and PC apps all show the correct time.  Any suggestions?

Emby 1.1.03

Samsung TV: UN50TU8000FXZA

TV Software version: T-NKLAKUC-2016.1, BT - S

embyserver.txt

This is the same problem that others have described in this topic

For some bizarre reason (which Samsung has confirmed to be true) apps take their time zone and daylight saving setting based on the geolocation of the Internet address, not the setting in the tv menu

So this means that if your ISP is using dynamic addresses over a large geographic range then it might be getting your Timezone incorrectly

Ideally the app needs a client setting to allow users to make some time adjustments to the detected time

• Like 1

Chris442
18 hours ago, SamES said:

This is the same problem that others have described in this topic

For some bizarre reason (which Samsung has confirmed to be true) apps take their time zone and daylight saving setting based on the geolocation of the Internet address, not the setting in the tv menu

So this means that if your ISP is using dynamic addresses over a large geographic range then it might be getting your Timezone incorrectly

Ideally the app needs a client setting to allow users to make some time adjustments to the detected time

I checked the location of my IP and it matches my location.  I agree, some sort of client setting is needed in the app.  

• Like 1

Painkiller8818

One more thing you can check:

I had this on my own device and never could get why. The TV shows the right time but Emby got the wrong time.

Are you using some kind of AD Blocker like Pihole or AdGuard? This was my problem. I blocked all samsung connections so i don't get their ads in the Menu.

After analyzing i found the one that causes it and whitelisted it.

It was a samsung related URL not an emby related.

The funny thing was, that the TV always had the correct time just emby could not refresh the time unitl i whitelisted the URL.

• Like 1

Chris442
42 minutes ago, Painkiller8818 said:

One more thing you can check:

I had this on my own device and never could get why. The TV shows the right time but Emby got the wrong time.

Are you using some kind of AD Blocker like Pihole or AdGuard? This was my problem. I blocked all samsung connections so i don't get their ads in the Menu.

After analyzing i found the one that causes it and whitelisted it.

It was a samsung related URL not an emby related.

The funny thing was, that the TV always had the correct time just emby could not refresh the time unitl i whitelisted the URL.

Nope, no AD blocker.

4 hours ago, Chris442 said:

I checked the location of my IP and it matches my location.  I agree, some sort of client setting is needed in the app.  

Curious as to how you checked this as there  are many different geo ip services and in the past whenever I’ve checked they often all give different locations

It will depend on which one Samsung is using as to where they think you are

• Like 1

Chris442
On 11/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, SamES said:

Curious as to how you checked this as there  are many different geo ip services and in the past whenever I’ve checked they often all give different locations

It will depend on which one Samsung is using as to where they think you are

I actually just researched where our IP resolved to.  Seems there isn't much that can be done with these Samsung TVs.

• 3 months later...
AndyXH

Hi All, I just got off the phone with Samsung Support I reported this issue to them and they remoted into my two tvs and they said this is an Emby issues and Samsung 

4 minutes ago, andreaxheli said:

Hi All, I just got off the phone with Samsung Support I reported this issue to them and they remoted into my two tvs and they said this is an Emby issues and Samsung 

It is a Samsung problem but it is not something that their support staff will be able to solve. It is a problem with their developer api's returning the wrong time, and they are essentially leaving it up to app developers to figure out their own workarounds.

SamES
3 hours ago, andreaxheli said:

I know i told her this but she didn't want to listen. Anyway we can push Samsung on this? 

We have already done this, our feedback to you is based on their response.