Shared Network Folder - Everything works - unexpectedly<G>

mooncaptain

mooncaptain

I have an Ubuntu server, libreelec media player and a windows media player. Data is stored on a synology NAS.

libreelec (standalone KODI) doesn't allow me to setup a mount point identical to the Ubuntu server so I use the shared folder option in order to direct play from the Synology NAS using the mount point I define on the libreelec. All works fine.

From time to time I also use an old windows box to preview movies before I play them on my main system using a copy of Kodi. There is no nfs mount point equivalent in Windows that looks like a linux mount point (afaik). The first time I tried the windows Kodi recently I realized that is was working. I checked the Emby dashboard and it indicated that playback was direct play. Which is how the emby addon is configured.

?How is this working?

Obviously this isn't an emergency but knowing how it works may clarify my understanding.

Thanks 

Hi, I think we'd have to look at a specific example. It might be falling back to playing via the embedded web server if it can't access the file directly.

• 1 month later...

Not enough of a techie to say if this is really relevant to my situation but - I have a Synology NAS and a Windows 10 PC. I have tried every software drive mapping software I could find - for mapping a remote NAS folder to a local PC drive letter - but I just can not find stable, usable software. 

I've tried (PAID, no trial available often) for Webdrive, Expandrive and Duckdrive, those are the only softwares that can map a remote NAS folder to a local PC drive than I can find.

Any tips on any other software to try ?

Any other way of achieving this?

Any good (Synology-specific?) tutorial on how to use the Windows native drive mapping feature ?

I have tried all the software I could find and all protocols (the NAS has pretty much all if not all of them, FTP, FTPS, SFTP, WebDAV etc.) - any particular protocol choice over the others ? Basically I just wanna click on the mapped drive and have an mp3 playing in 2secs like it was a local drive. Line at both ends is 100/100 up/down so that should not be enough to ask should it ?

Hope someone has some input or links, this community seems very supportive :)

If inappropriate please move my post thank you

I have an Ubuntu server, libreelec media player and a windows media player. Data is stored on a synology NAS.

libreelec (standalone KODI) doesn't allow me to setup a mount point identical to the Ubuntu server so I use the shared folder option in order to direct play from the Synology NAS using the mount point I define on the libreelec. All works fine.

From time to time I also use an old windows box to preview movies before I play them on my main system using a copy of Kodi. There is no nfs mount point equivalent in Windows that looks like a linux mount point (afaik). The first time I tried the windows Kodi recently I realized that is was working. I checked the Emby dashboard and it indicated that playback was direct play. Which is how the emby addon is configured.

?How is this working?

Obviously this isn't an emergency but knowing how it works may clarify my understanding.

Thanks 

Any good (Synology-specific?) tutorial on how to use the Windows native drive mapping feature ?

Hi, are you trying to import a Synology nas path into a windows based emby server?

mastrmind11

Not enough of a techie to say if this is really relevant to my situation but - I have a Synology NAS and a Windows 10 PC. I have tried every software drive mapping software I could find - for mapping a remote NAS folder to a local PC drive letter - but I just can not find stable, usable software. 

I've tried (PAID, no trial available often) for Webdrive, Expandrive and Duckdrive, those are the only softwares that can map a remote NAS folder to a local PC drive than I can find.

Any tips on any other software to try ?

Any other way of achieving this?

I have tried all the software I could find and all protocols (the NAS has pretty much all if not all of them, FTP, FTPS, SFTP, WebDAV etc.) - any particular protocol choice over the others ? Basically I just wanna click on the mapped drive and have an mp3 playing in 2secs like it was a local drive. Line at both ends is 100/100 up/down so that should not be enough to ask should it ?

Hope someone has some input or links, this community seems very supportive :)

If inappropriate please move my post thank you

Why not just set up SMB shares ?

Edited by mastrmind11

Hi, are you trying to import a Synology nas path into a windows based emby server?

That might be an option I try later - CPU intensive tasks like database creation and maintenance on the more powerful PC and data storage on mapped NAS drives. Would that work when I always leave the nas in one location but always access it remotely ? it is a recurring issue with my NAS that I end up being unable to in actuality use packages that seem promising because there's some kind of index or monitoring that takes up too many resources and/or like in this case just never clearly lets you know either way and you never get a smooth fully functional result or answer really. Atm the situation is I came home and just before I left my experimental one folder library test was almost finished, over 90%, then when I came home the package had "stopped itself" in package center. I read a few other people too I think that had that problem - library scanning or finishing causing the Emby package to stop ?

Also - I think it was you that wrote somewhere that it is normal for the library scan progress indicator to move unevenly, ie advance rapidly then seemingly stuck because on same percentage so long, but best is to just wait and will finish - BUT you wrote if you try to cancel the library scan and it gets stuck on "stopping" then you can be sure the database / indexing process we can know for sure is corrupted? Wait how long ? I have less than 10TB media files and first time I tried it now was over 2wks I think it never seems closed to finish

atm I guess I was just thinking of that as an option if/when I just have to decide that libray scan willl NEVER finished. I even reinstalled the entire package from scratch several times and tried to index just one small folder, with almost all inc. default metadata boxes unticked and no plugins except the default, it never finishes and at some time it will stall and/or corrupt.

I think it not at all unlikely that it is my music folder with many weird CD rips with weird characters etc., collected over many many years from many sources, that have one or more filenames or something that emby stalls on. Can I find detailed info on scan progress in the log, what keyword would I search for in the log text file for that?

Also - what specific actions can/will cancel library scan and lose progress ? Is uncompleted progress always lost if interrupted by NAS and or server dashboard reboot/shutdown?

I think

Why not just set up SMB shares ?

I only ever access the NAS remotely and so I have tried all of the disk mapping software I could find without ever having satisfying results - disconnects, files disappearing, extremely variable or slow performance etc. The Synology has "all" protocols I think, ftp, ftps, sftp, ssh, webdav - and then there's something about SMB and/or CIFS they are related somehow I think  Now time to google it right now.

But am I correct that since I am only ever on remote networks SMB does not apply to me and cannot be used in my case ? I have been generally advised SFTP is the best option to try. Thanks

mastrmind11

I only ever access the NAS remotely and so I have tried all of the disk mapping software I could find without ever having satisfying results - disconnects, files disappearing, extremely variable or slow performance etc. The Synology has "all" protocols I think, ftp, ftps, sftp, ssh, webdav - and then there's something about SMB and/or CIFS they are related somehow I think  Now time to google it right now.

But am I correct that since I am only ever on remote networks SMB does not apply to me and cannot be used in my case ? I have been generally advised SFTP is the best option to try. Thanks

wait, so your emby server is trying to access a NAS over WAN?  I'd think webdav would be the simplest unless you want to set up a VPN, which would treat the NAS as if on the local network, and you would just treat it as a local mount at that point.