Roku TV stuck on "Welcome to Emby"

zape

ryan.brownell

I am also connected to the debugger.... Or at least trying to. There is no output to the debugger when I am using it and it won't accept the commands that are on the Roku documentation page that was provided.

Update
Apparently one can not use the debugger on Roku channels that were installed via the Official Store. I am going to download the source code and try to side load a copy of it.

Update 2

So the open source version of Emby for Roku found at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku is the older version. Is there a place where we can either download the source code for the current version or obtain a copy of the Zip file that contains the latest version of the software?

If needed (for private repository sharing purposes), my GitHub username is ryanbrownell.

Edited by ryan.brownell

I am also connected to the debugger.... Or at least trying to. There is no output to the debugger when I am using it and it won't accept the commands that are on the Roku documentation page that was provided.

Update

Apparently one can not use the debugger on Roku channels that were installed via the Official Store. I am going to download the source code and try to side load a copy of it.

Update 2

So the open source version of Emby for Roku found at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku is the older version. Is there a place where we can either download the source code for the current version or obtain a copy of the Zip file that contains the latest version of the software?

If needed (for private repository sharing purposes), my GitHub username is ryanbrownell.

Hi, no, but If you know how to use a telnet application and can capture the output from your device when it hangs, that may tell us.  See here.

Thanks.

morpheus65535

Hi, no, but If you know how to use a telnet application and can capture the output from your device when it hangs, that may tell us. See here.

Thanks.

Yes, we know. That’s exactly what ebr was saying to us. We need some guidance here, not just a link. :-)

Thanks!

ryan.brownell

Hello All;

Here is the Roku Debugging situation for the version of Roku that I am having trouble with.

TLDR: Without a copy of the latest official Emby app for Roku to side-load, we won't be able to get debugging information.

I know how to use Telnet. The dubuger console **will not** display information about applications that were installed using the Official Roku Channel Store. I was able to successfully get the debugger to work (via Telnet) when I side-loaded the Open Source version of Emby for Roku.

The debugger will only display via Telnet when an application is side-loaded into the system.

Yes, we know. That’s exactly what ebr was saying to us. We need some guidance here, not just a link. :-)

Thanks!

To telnet into the Roku, one must enable developer mode on the Roku first.

For those who want more than a link, here are the full instructions for accessing the debugger:

1. Enable Developer Mode on your Roku by pressing:
    • Home (4 Times)
    • Up (2 Times)
    • Right
    • Left
    • Right
    • Left
    • Right
  2. Once you see the Developer Settings Screen, select enable, and when prompted, set a password. On this screen, take note of the IP address of the Roku.
  3. Download and install PuTTY for Windows from https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html
  4. Once PuTTY is installed, connect by entering your IP address in the Host Name field, setting the Port field to 8085, selecting the Telnet option and clicking open.
  5. The console will load but nothing will be displayed on it, no matter what you do on the Roku, because this version of the firmware does not display the console for applications that are downloaded from the Official Roku Channel Store. To make anything display in this console, you must first side load an application.

To side load an application:

1. In your web browser go to http://(your roku ip address)
  2. When prompted, enter username rokudev and the password your set earlier.
  3. Click on Upload and Select the Roku Application Package (ending in .zip) then click Install.
  4. The application will automatically open on the Roku.... And you get to see a bunch of data on the debug console in PuTTY.

If you really want to do it to prove to yourself you can use Telnet or for funzies, you can take the copy from the open source older version of Emby for Roku from GitHub found at https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/blob/master/Emby.Roku.zip (click on Download on that page). Though, without a copy of the latest Roku Application package we won't be able to help debug this problem.

WARNING: As with any device, putting your Roku into Developer mode is not without its risks. You could damage your device. You can easily revert back to normal mode by repeating the steps and disabling developer mode in the Developer Settings Screen. Should you turn your Roku into a paper weight, that is your own fault and nobody elses. Consider yourself warned. 

Edited by ryan.brownell

Hi, no, but If you know how to use a telnet application and can capture the output from your device when it hangs, that may tell us.  See here.

You do realize, that the telnet output works only in debug mode, with a developer application loaded, right? Without the zip file of the official app, and loading this into developer mode on the roku, the telnet won't tell you anything. You can only get telnet logs of applications which match the developer ID of the device. So an app developed on another device won't work to telnet, unless you either: a) share your developer id and password with everyone, or b) share the zip file of the official app.

Thanks!

The only guidance I can give you is to use the blue neon roku app and then you can at least play with emby. Use the zip provided in the thread and do as the post above mentions to sideload the app.

Here is the zip in one easy click: http://ereader.kiczek.com/emby-roku-blueneonnight.zip

Edited by speechles

morpheus65535

I’m at the same point as you guys. Can’t do anything without the zip file of the source code of the version 3.0.84 to side load.

I’ll give a try to the blue neon app... just in case...

Yeah, sorry, I forgot the telnet thing only works on dev installs.  Let's see if Roku responds with some useful info.

Yeah, sorry, I forgot the telnet thing only works on dev installs.  Let's see if Roku responds with some useful info.

QnnbNL6.png

Once roku re-enables developers to see the brightscript crash logs it would help. This would show you the errors every user of the app was having, and the amounts of users having each error. So you can tell the major errors by the number of users suffering that same error and so forth. It also gave a back trace of the error. These were anonymous crash logs from users, so no way to trace back to an exact user on an exact roku. You also do not get the variable dump, like a normal brightscript crash does, which shows the type each variable was set and its value. Having the crash log itself was nice, and trace back each error users had that was thrown and the back trace was usually enough to find the error. Users contribute error reports without ever knowing they do. Now it seems they have disabled it for god knows what reason, but god isn't on speaking terms with me at the moment.. lol.. but seriously once roku (for lack of better words) "gets their shit together" it will be easier to develop for their platform...

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

kaelin

I have 3 Roku Ultras on 8.1.0-4137.

I don't have any issues on the 2 that automatically log into a user.

However, the one we use the most doesn't automatically log into a user and you have to select one. That one gets stuck on "Welcome to Emby" after you select the user.

I don't know if that helps or not but hope this issue gets resolved quickly. Using Blue Neon which doesn't have the issue until it does.

morpheus65535

Ok, I don't want to declare victory too fast but I got it fixed here.

I'm running emby using linux server docker image and I didn't bind it to a particular ip address in "Settings-->Advanced-->Bind to local network address". It was working well until a couple of days ago. On the settings dashboard, I've got something like: In-Home (LAN) access: 172.17.x.x (my docker internal network).

I've changed the value of "Settings-->Advanced-->Bind to local network address" to my docker host IP (my emby container is in network bridged mode) and restarted emby.

Now it work perfectly well on every Roku client inside and outside my house. No change in version of firmware or Emby app. I didn't make any other change so you could give it a try, maybe you'll be happy as I am now! :-)

Edited by morpheus65535

morpheus65535

Ok, I've declared victory to fast... still have the same problem...

If I delete the app and install it again, I can login once. If I don't set "remember user" to off, I can use the application with this user without any problem. 

Edited by morpheus65535

Sadly, my problem returned with an update pushed down today.  Software update didn't fix it this time, though.  Forced update isn't rolling it back any longer, either.  I'll be glad to jump back into debugging any way I can, but like everyone else, I can't get in far enough to do anything.

Thanks,

James

Lane03

Rolling back worked for me, and for now I've enabled the remember user option to avoid the issue if another bad firmware gets pushed out.

Rolling back worked for me, and for now I've enabled the remember user option to avoid the issue if another bad firmware gets pushed out.

I'm guessing those settings are stored on the Roku, and not on the server, and retrieved at connect?  If they are retrieved on connect, I would be glad to alter any server information to let my Roku skip straight in.

Lane03

If you can't roll back your firmware, the only way you might be able fix it server wise is deleting all but your main profile (not sure this would even work). Otherwise I'm afraid you'll be waiting till Roku fixes the firmware or Emby makes their app compatible.

Edited by Lane03

ryan.brownell

Not sure if this helps for diagnosing the issue but there are 6 Rokus in my setup. 3 of those have the remember user setting set, the other three don't. The ones that have the remember user setting are working fine.

If you guys change your mind about distributing the zip file for the Roku app (even if it is just privately) I will be happy to provide debugging console output.

Is there any indication this will ever be resolved on Roku TV's 8.1+?  I'm about to pull the trigger on a Fire TV stick to hook up to my Roku (which is sooooo bugging the crap out of me), just to get Emby back.  I'll loose my 4K, but honestly don't put much 4K into Emby anyway.  It's either that, or a switch to Plex.  Prime day has Fire TV pretty cheap, and i"m sure I can put it to use if I do get Emby back working on my Roku TV.

Is there any indication this will ever be resolved on Roku TV's 8.1+?  I'm about to pull the trigger on a Fire TV stick to hook up to my Roku (which is sooooo bugging the crap out of me), just to get Emby back.  I'll loose my 4K, but honestly don't put much 4K into Emby anyway.  It's either that, or a switch to Plex.  Prime day has Fire TV pretty cheap, and i"m sure I can put it to use if I do get Emby back working on my Roku TV.

You can still use emby on your roku until the offcial app works (and keep your 4k too):

https://my.roku.com/account/add?channel=EmbyBlueNeon

...or sideload... https://github.com/speechles/BN-ONE/files/2196276/emby.blue.neon.v.4.27.zip

it's the older app due to die on january 1st, 2019 .. until then it can used when things break in the official.

Yes we are actively working on it, thanks guys.

Thanks Luke.  I know some bugs take a while to find before you can even think about hammering them.  Hadn't heard anything for a few days, so I didn't know if there was still movement.

Hi.  Yes.  We are working with Roku to try and chase down the problem.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Lane03

If you have remember user turned on, are you able to switch users through the settings menu or will that cause it to get stuck on the welcome screen as if the remember user setting was turned off?