Roku TV stuck on "Welcome to Emby"

zape

dcook

@@ebr

I have firmware version: 8.1.0 Build: 4145

And the Official Emby App is not working for me, just keep getting the spinning wheel and says Welcome to Emby after selecting the user. Pushing the back button just makes a beep, and you have to press the home button to return back to the Roku home screen.  Rebooting both the Emby Server and Roku does not make a difference, nor does removing the Emby App and reinstalling it.

This started happening exactly on July 20th, the Emby App was working normally prior to July 20th.

I did not change my Roku Firmware on July 20th, however I am pretty sure my Emby Server updated around that time.

I don't see how you can blame the Roku firmware and say its "their issue" for this issue when its only effecting your app. 

The Blue Neon App works fine, so does other apps like Netflix and Youtube.

Yes, I would expect that to be the case as that would be the same logic flow.  The strange thing though is that the hang is actually happening after that logic flow.

Anyway, I've been purchasing different Roku devices in an attempt to reproduce this problem.  A common theme with you guys with the issue appears to be Roku firmware 8.1.0 4139.  All of my devices so far are on 4145 (I've got one more new one to setup and try).

Can you guys go into your settings menu and force a search for a system update just in case you can get the newer firmware?

Edited by dcook

@@ebr

I have firmware version: 8.1.0 Build: 4145

And the Official Emby App is not working for me, just keep getting the spinning wheel and says Welcome to Emby after selecting the user. Pushing the back button just makes a beep, and you have to press the home button to return back to the Roku home screen.  Rebooting both the Emby Server and Roku does not make a difference, nor does removing the Emby App and reinstalling it.

This started happening exactly on July 20th, the Emby App was working normally prior to July 20th.

I did not change my Roku Firmware on July 20th, however I am pretty sure my Emby Server updated around that time.

I don't see how you can blame the Roku firmware and say its "their issue" for this issue when its only effecting your app. 

The Blue Neon App works fine, so does other apps like Netflix and Youtube.

You can choose not to believe us if you wish.  You can update to the beta to resolve your issue now or you can wait for the release.

BN is developed in a completely different (and discontinued) API than the official app.

dcook
@@ebr its not that I don't believe you, its that it does not make sense to me.

Your saying its a Roku firmware version and its happens in 8.1.0 4139 but not in 4145, however I have 4145 and I have the same issue since July 20th.

All other apps work on the Roku, so it does not make sense that this issue would only affect the official Emby App.  Other apps like YouTube and Netflix work fine.

What makes more sense is that there is issue or bug in the official Emby App code.

The fact that you released beta version of the app which apparently fixes the issue seems to confirm my statement, as the Roku Firmware has not changed.

Can you please be more forth coming and state exactly the issue and how you allegedly fixed it?

Edited by dcook

@@ebr its not that I don't believe you, its that it does not make sense to me.
Can you please be more forth coming and state exactly the issue and how you allegedly fixed it?

Just FYI - that sounds to me like you don't believe us.

In Roku Scenegraph you start an asynchronous task by setting its "control" attribute to the text value "run" (sounds hokey, I know, but that's how the system works...).

We use this construct in probably 100 places in the app.

On some hardware, under some firmware and only sometimes (I was only able to reproduce about 20% of the time on my newly acquired TCL Roku TV) one of our tasks would simply never start.  On my TV, I'd have to open the app and log in at least 5 times before it would hit this issue.  When I was able to cause the issue, I was able to track it down to the task not executing when we told it to.  This was confirmed with both console logging and the debugger and reported to Roku.  Roku support (1st level, so probably not anyone very familiar with the inner workings of the firmware) understood and acknowledged the issue but, without a sure way of reproducing it, wasn't able to do much.  I completely understand that.

Based on the apparent randomness of the issue (I say apparent because nothing in a computer is actually random - it may appear that way but is always just a very complex set of variables that may be difficult to know - never actually random) I suspected that this was some sort of problem in their threading engine (when dealing with asynchronous tasks in a computer system the OS has to manage what are called "threads" which are different lines of execution - they have to be managed such that they don't walk on each other) and was related to a specific set of timings of operations in certain circumstances.

So, based on that hunch, I simply added another line of code above our setting of the task property that would alter the timing of execution and the problem went away.  The line of code I added also manipulated this same property to try and ensure that it involved the same threading engine in the OS.  I showed this to Roku support as well and they went "Hmmm..." and agreed to prioritize our app review so we could get a fix out quickly (it normally can take two weeks to release a new Roku version).

The caveat here is, since I really have no idea what the problem actually is, I have only worked around it and done so in what may be a very fragile way.  IOW - it won't surprise me if the issue comes back at some time in the future until and unless Roku actually identifies a problem and truly fixes it.

dcook

Updated last night, I guess it just takes a couple days to push out.  Have .97 now and everything is working normally