Emby Server - Add support for one single folder structure for music

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Currently music files must be organized into Music/Artist/Album/filename structure for the server to organize the music catalog correctly, however, the one single folder (Music/filename) structure is not supported and I hope Emby developers take it into account, I stopped using Emby for my music because I don't really like it, it's a little bothersome to maintain, at least for me. I know there are windows applications to help admin that folder structure but that's not the point.

I count on your upvote for Emby developers to take this suggestion into account. Thanks.

Edited by delacosta78
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Richard Branches

I wonder if this is dead or development is halted? I really want to see this to become a reality...

Richard Branches

This is something that should've existed from the very start, I ignore the reasons though, I just dream of 2020 as the year where this is finally fixed...

Happy2Play

Nothing like a pipe dream of everything existing from the start.  If that were true there would be no room for improvement as it would already be there from the start.

SikSlayer

Wait, why is this a feature that needs to be 'implemented'? Wouldn't the ID3 tags help to organize the songs by artist/album/genre/etc?

Why should the folder structure even matter?

Why should Richard have to organize his music files for Emby to work effectively with them... RIGHT NOW? Shouldn't it already work?

I just don't understand.  :unsure:

Edited by SikSlayer

Richard Branches
On 12/28/2019 at 9:41 AM, SikSlayer said:

Wait, why is this a feature that needs to be 'implemented'? Wouldn't the ID3 tags help to organize the songs by artist/album/genre/etc?

It actually organizes all songs by artist, album artist, genre, except for albums.

It really affects how music is displayed, because if you go inside an artist, you can't see its albums nor its songs.

Edited by Richard Branches
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
smithd77

Can I sponsor this feature, or co-sponsor it? I've just d/led my music from google play and am not going to organize it into folders (The d/l is just 1 massive folder). What can I do to help with this?

• Like 1

ginjaninja

as a workaround in the meantime are you aware that for Windows at least mp3tag can automate moving content into \artist\album\tracks structure. you can define the path and the filename. if the tags are good mp3tag can structure acordingly on the file system.

my rename action includes
format value for directory
format value for filename

for _directory
$if(%rootfolder%,A:\Music%rootfolder%'['$regexp(%year%,.*(\d{4}).*,$1)'] '%album%,A:\Music\%albumartist%\'['$regexp(%year%,.*(\d{4}).*,$1)'] '%album%)

(i use a root folder tag to make exceptions for some content..and prefix the year by looking for four digits in year tag)
A:\Music\%albumartist%\'['$regexp(%year%,.*(\d{4}).*,$1)'] '%album%
would suffice)

for _filename
$if(%discnumber%,D%discnumber%_,)$num(%track%,2). $replace(%title%,\,)

"name files based on track number and title and prefix disk number_ if present"

with a fully featured scripting language theres not much mp3tag cant do when it comes to structuring music..

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Richard Branches
20 hours ago, ginjaninja said:

mp3tag can automate moving content into \artist\album\tracks structure

I did that once but I had enough, too much hassle 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Funky me

HI. IVE JUST INSTALLED EMBY ON MY SYNOLOGY DS918+ AND YEP HAVING THE SAMES ISSUE, I MOVED FROM PLEX BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE FOLDER VIEW SO I THOUGHT ID INSTALL EMBY, ADDING A MUSIC FOLDER !!!!!    SOMETHING SO SIMPLE IS SO HARD, ( NOT USER FRIENDLY AT ALL !!! ) IN THE END I FINALLY MANAGED TO WORK OUT HOW TO ADD A FOLDER, THEN TO FIND ALL FOLDERS ARE MIXED UP ON EMBY MUSIC LIBRARY. ( I HAVE FOLDERS WITHIN FOLDERS ) ON TOP OF THAT I PAID FOR LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTION !!!!    ANYONE KNOW WHO I SHOULD CONTACT FOR MY MONEY BACK ???

• 11 months later...
Richard Branches

Thank you for implementing this in the latest stable 4.6.0.50 server, my music now appears perfectly organized.

Don't forget to mark this as "completed".

• Thanks 1