Some movies start play wait a long time by using web app.

fcymk2
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

fcymk2

Some movies start play wait a long time by using web app, So does Android Tv version. 

windows theater and KODI version start the same movie very fast.

Is there anything different? 

service: emby docker version

theater-log.7z

web-app-log.7z

It's burning in the subtitles and it looks like your server may not be fast enough to do that.

For better performance, consider having external versions of these subtitle tracks.

You can also try enabling the server option to allow extraction on the fly, this will deliver the .ass track to the web app directly.

However, I think I recall you and i having this discussion before, and I don't think your system is able to do that fast enough either.

fcymk2

You can also try enabling the server option to allow extraction on the fly, this will deliver the .ass track to the web app directly.

`allow extraction on the fly`  work fine, after open this option, the movie start to play only about 5s. 

However, I think I recall you and i having this discussion before, and I don't think your system is able to do that fast enough either.

Maybe not me, or maybe I forgot it @_@

fcymk2

chrome web app start to play fast now, but use android tv version slow also. Not the same problem?

android-tv.7z

chrome web app start to play fast now, but use android tv version slow also. Not the same problem?

The different app may be coincidental.  When the option to extract subtitles is enabled, the actual extraction only will have to happen once.  After that, the result is saved and used for subsequent playback.  So, you may see some items start fast because the subs have already been extracted and others slow because they have not.

Now, in your example above, the app tried to direct play the item and it failed so it is forcing a transcode and probably trying to burn in the subs.

Again, the best option is going to be to obtain external text-based subs if at all possible.

fcymk2

The different app may be coincidental.  When the option to extract subtitles is enabled, the actual extraction only will have to happen once.  After that, the result is saved and used for subsequent playback.  So, you may see some items start fast because the subs have already been extracted and others slow because they have not.

Now, in your example above, the app tried to direct play the item and it failed so it is forcing a transcode and probably trying to burn in the subs.

Again, the best option is going to be to obtain external text-based subs if at all possible.

chrome web version open the movie slow in first time, and then fast.  the same as the android version.

androiv tv version not support `extraction on the fly`?  I open the movie many times, It's very slow every time.

I download a subtitles into the movie dir, and then use it, android tv version is slow also.

android tv version will support `embedded subtitles` or `extraction on the fly`in the future?

I believe the android tv app might require them to be burnt in by the server, but @@ebr will know for sure. Thanks.

• Solution

The Android TV app will actually support them embedded but only if the item doesn't need to transcode for some other reason.  It cannot support that particular style (ssa/ass) as external which would be the only way to play them during a transcode.

In your case, the item needs to be transcoded because it is failing to direct play which is then causing the subs to need to be burned in.

• Like 1

fcymk2

The Android TV app will actually support them embedded but only if the item doesn't need to transcode for some other reason.  It cannot support that particular style (ssa/ass) as external which would be the only way to play them during a transcode.

In your case, the item needs to be transcoded because it is failing to direct play which is then causing the subs to need to be burned in.

What about  `subtitle extraction on the fly`? I see android tv version also regardless of this option directly burned, the subtitle extracted from videos should be ordinary txt?

What about  `subtitle extraction on the fly`? I see android tv version also regardless of this option directly burned, the subtitle extracted from videos should be ordinary txt?

No, the subs are extracted in their original form and, since the app cannot interpret the extracted subs in that format, it must burn them in.

fcymk2

No, the subs are extracted in their original form and, since the app cannot interpret the extracted subs in that format, it must burn them in.

OK, it seems that only use KODI now, and look forward to future android tv version updates to support ssa/ass. Thanks~