Jump to content

IOS app unable to connect to remote server


qkjsdvflmksvclkx
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Recommended Posts

Glenn
On 7/9/2019 at 4:24 AM, JordanSL said:

Sorry to revive an old topic, but this issue still exists and removing the port was my solution.

 

I'm running emby remotely behind an nginx reverse proxy connecting to its local emby installation.

No 'Emby Connect' account

Connecting via IP https://x.x.x.x/emby port 443 using a self-signed certificate (certificate also requires trusting due to self sign)

Specifying the port results in "Connection Failure" empty port allows connection

 

 

Emby Server version: 4.1.1.0

iOS Emby app version: 1.7.7

iOS version: iPhone 7   12.1.4

Hey @JordanSL how did you set this up?

I'm also running it through nginx and pure safari I can connect to the https:// and see emby, but the emby app no matter what ( with or without port number ) refuses to connect...

Or @Luke any other tips from you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Glenn said:

Hey @JordanSL how did you set this up?

I'm also running it through nginx and pure safari I can connect to the https:// and see emby, but the emby app no matter what ( with or without port number ) refuses to connect...

Or @Luke any other tips from you?

I'm not sure at this point as it appears specific to the connection. Did you update to iOS 14.5?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Glenn
14 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm not sure at this point as it appears specific to the connection. Did you update to iOS 14.5?

Yeah I updated. But seeing on other threads here on the forum, people needed to adjust their nginx Config for it to work.

I’ve tried to do that but without luck so far.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Glenn said:

Yeah I updated. But seeing on other threads here on the forum, people needed to adjust their nginx Config for it to work.

I’ve tried to do that but without luck so far.

Ok, let us know if you figure it out. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
bluesite

i have login problem with emby on ios when the server is running not on Port 8920 (https), i have changed the port to 443 in emby server,

Login from web is working also with emby on android app.

when i try to login from ios over emby app nothing is listed in the logfiles from emby only if i use the standard port 8920

can someone reproduce this problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, helgeb@gmx.de said:

i have login problem with emby on ios when the server is running not on Port 8920 (https), i have changed the port to 443 in emby server,

Login from web is working also with emby on android app.

when i try to login from ios over emby app nothing is listed in the logfiles from emby only if i use the standard port 8920

can someone reproduce this problem?

Hi, try connecting in the Ios app by entering the server address manually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bluesite

i have tried ths allready, it works only if i use the standard port 8920 but not with other ports,
with the android app it works but not on ios app only on ios with browser.

it seems that the port is fixed in the app or will not take the port that i enter manualy

emby.PNG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, no, the port is not fixed in the app. What exactly happened?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bluesite

it comes only that login credentials are not right but on my server logs i see nothing when i try to login from ios app, it works with android and windows emby theatre and also from browser. it works also when i try the standard port but i dont want to open to much ports on my router

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If there's nothing in the log file then that means the request isn't even reaching your server.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bluesite

i see this only in my nginx log

x.x.x.x - - [10/Jun/2021:14:03:25 +0200] "OPTIONS /Users/authenticatebyname?X-Emby-Client=Emby%20for%20iOS&X-Emby-Device-Name=xxxx&X-Emby-Device-Id=6EF9A3ED-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-2FFE53EE6174&X-Emby-Client-Version=2.0.6 HTTP/2.0" 405 241 "http://localhost:12344/" "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 14_6 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/15E148"
x.x.x.x - - [10/Jun/2021:14:05:57 +0200] "OPTIONS /Users/authenticatebyname?X-Emby-Client=Emby%20for%20iOS&X-Emby-Device-Name=xxxx&X-Emby-Device-Id=6EF9A3ED-D033-xxxx-xxxx-2FFE53EE6174&X

an this here is strange http://localhost:12344/ and confusing me

here is my nginx conf

server {
    listen 443 ssl http2;
    server_name emby.xxxxxxxx.xx;
    proxy_buffering off;        ## Sends data as fast as it can not buffering large chunks.
    ssl on;
    ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/xxxxxxxx.xx/fullchain.pem;
    ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/xxxxxxxx.xx/privkey.pem;
    ssl_dhparam /etc/letsencrypt/live/xxxxxxxx.xx/dhparams_4096.pem;
    ssl_ecdh_curve secp384r1; # Requires nginx >= 1.1.0
    ssl_protocols TLSv1.2;
    ssl_ciphers ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA512:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA512:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384;
    ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;
    add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload";
    ssl_stapling on;
    ssl_trusted_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/xxxxxxxx.xx/fullchain.pem;
    ssl_stapling_verify on;
    ssl_session_timeout 10m;
    ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;
    ssl_session_tickets on;
    ssl_session_ticket_key /etc/nginx/nginx_ticketkey;

    add_header Allow "GET, POST, HEAD, PUT, DELETE" always;
    if ($request_method !~ ^(GET|POST|HEAD|PUT|DELETE)$) {
        return 405;
    }

    access_log /var/log/nginx/access_emby.log;
    error_log /var/log/nginx/error_emby.log warn;

    location /nginx_status {
    stub_status on; access_log off; allow 127.0.0.1; deny all;
    }

    error_page 400 401 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 421 422 423 424 425 426 428 429 431 451 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 510 511 /error.html;

    location = /error.html {
      ssi on;
      internal;
      auth_basic off;
      root /var/www/;
    }


    location / {
        #proxy_pass http://192.168.10.xx:8096;
        proxy_pass https://192.168.10.xx:8920;

        proxy_hide_header X-Powered-By;  ## Hides nginx server version from bad guys.
        proxy_set_header Range $http_range;  ## Allows specific chunks of a file to be requested.
        proxy_set_header If-Range $http_if_range;  ## Allows specific chunks of a file to be requested.
        proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;  ## Passes the real client IP to the backend server.
        #proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $http_CF_Connecting_IP;  ## if you use cloudflare un-comment this line and comment out above line.
        proxy_set_header Host $host;  ## Passes the requested domain name to the backend server.
        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;  ## Adds forwarded IP to the list of IPs that were forwarded to the backend server.

     ## ADDITIONAL SECURITY SETTINGS ##
     ## Optional settings to improve security ##
     ## add these after you have completed your testing and ssl setup ##
     ## NOTICE: For the Strict-Transport-Security setting below, I would recommend ramping up to this value ##
     ##         See https://hstspreload.org/ read through the "Deployment Recommendations" section first!   ##
        add_header 'Referrer-Policy' 'origin-when-cross-origin';
        add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=15552000; preload" always;
        add_header X-Frame-Options "SAMEORIGIN" always;
        add_header X-Content-Type-Options "nosniff" always;
        add_header X-XSS-Protection "1; mode=block" always;

     ## WEBSOCKET SETTINGS ## Used to pass two way real time info to and from emby and the client.
        proxy_http_version 1.1;
        proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
        proxy_set_header Connection $http_connection;
    }
}

 

Edited by bluesite
update
Link to comment
Share on other sites

localhost:12344 is embedded into the iOS app, so that's why you see that as the referrer. You may have to configure your reverse proxy to allow that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
ray-finkle

+1

I am also unable to connect to my server remotely from the iOS 2.0.8 app. When defining and https host and custom port I get a connection failed error every time, while an http host with the default port connects right away.

A (quick) packet cap shows that any request to an https endpoint is only sending a few UDP packets on the QUIC protocol and nothing else. With an http endpoint the packets are entirely TCP and HTTP as I would expect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, ray-finkle said:

+1

I am also unable to connect to my server remotely from the iOS 2.0.8 app. When defining and https host and custom port I get a connection failed error every time, while an http host with the default port connects right away.

A (quick) packet cap shows that any request to an https endpoint is only sending a few UDP packets on the QUIC protocol and nothing else. With an http endpoint the packets are entirely TCP and HTTP as I would expect.

@ray-finkle are you still having an issue with this? Did you read my above message?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

ray-finkle

@Luke I’m no longer having this issue. It suddenly started working again without any config changes. I think restarting unraid may have had something to do with it working again; I have some other suspect network problems to containers on the same host.

Yes, I saw that message and it wasn’t helpful for me. No reverse proxy changes I made made any difference to fix the issue.

Thanks for reaching out though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, ray-finkle said:

@Luke I’m no longer having this issue. It suddenly started working again without any config changes. I think restarting unraid may have had something to do with it working again; I have some other suspect network problems to containers on the same host.

Yes, I saw that message and it wasn’t helpful for me. No reverse proxy changes I made made any difference to fix the issue.

Thanks for reaching out though!

Thanks for the feedback !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Rennaldo

I can't reach my server too.

IOS Emby app (IOS) 2.0.8

Emby server: Windows 10 - v. 4.6.4.0

Both on Safari and App, the message is "Connection Failure, we are unable to connect to server at the moment. Please check the server is running and retry".

The server (on my PC) is running...

I've tryed many solution from the paste messages but nothing changes :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rennaldo said:

I can't reach my server too.

IOS Emby app (IOS) 2.0.8

Emby server: Windows 10 - v. 4.6.4.0

Both on Safari and App, the message is "Connection Failure, we are unable to connect to server at the moment. Please check the server is running and retry".

The server (on my PC) is running...

I've tryed many solution from the paste messages but nothing changes :(

 

Hi there, what exactly have you tried?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rennaldo

I've installed Emby server on my PC, created my account and installed the app on iPad, but I can't reach my own server library on PC, with pictures and videos.

The IP adress is correct (if I try to open it in another browser it function) but on iPad it always gave me the failure message.

Edited by Rennaldo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Rennaldo said:

I've installed Emby server on my PC, created my account and installed the app on iPad, but I can't reach my own server library on PC, with pictures and videos.

The IP adress is correct (if I try to open it in another browser it function) but on iPad it always gave me the failure message.

Hi, 

The app needs local network permission. You may have inadvertently restricted this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211870

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rennaldo

I checked and the local network permission is already allowed. 😕

I've also opened port 8096 in my firewall as suggested in the troubleshooting guide.

Edited by Rennaldo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Rennaldo said:

I checked and the local network permission is already allowed. 😕

I've also opened port 8096 in my firewall as suggested in the troubleshooting guide.

OK Please go through all the steps in the troubleshooting guide. Let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rennaldo

I've already tried all steps, and the app still not working. That's why I'm asking here. 😢

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Rennaldo said:

I've already tried all steps, and the app still not working. That's why I'm asking here. 😢

Hi @Rennaldo, which steps succeeded and which ones did not? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rennaldo

As I said, I've tried all steps with no success.


1) If the above still does not work, please ensure the machine running Emby Server is turned on, and that the Emby Server application is running.

Emby Server is turned on (on my pc). I've also restarted Emy Server before the last try, and opened in Chrome and Opera browser.
... -> "Connection Failure"

2) A useful test is to try to use a web browser on another device, such as another computer, smartphone or tablet. You'll need to ensure the other device is connected to the same WIFI network. Try opening a web browser on that device and entering the local address manually:

On iPad Safari browser (same WIFI network)

... -> "Connection Failure"

3) If this still does not work, then most likely the firewall on the server machine is not allowing access. Below are a list of troubleshooting steps that can be taken to resolve this.
Open TCP Port 8096 and 8920 your server's firewall

Opened in firewall Port 8096 both IN and OUT.

... -> "Connection Failure"

4) If you're using third party firewall software, you'll need to follow it's instructions to open the port. Note: If you're using third party antivirus software such as Norton Internet Security, it will most likely have it's own firewall that will need to be configured.

I just have windows firewall

5) Run an AntiVirus Scan
If you're certain you've opened the port and are still unable to connect, the next step will be to ensure the server machine is free of viruses and malware. See AntiVirus software.

I have no virus in my PC

6) Turn off any VPN Connections
VPN (virtual private network) software can change routing and sometimes make connecting to servers on your home network impossible. This is especially true if when running a VPN on your Emby Server.  If you're still unable to connect to your Emby server try turning off any VPN software running on any client or server in your home network.

I have no VPN connections

In PC browser(s) the library is visible.

In both iPad and android Honor Lite 9 (in the same WIFI network) the result is..

... -> "Connection Failure"

In android Samsung S9 (Chrome) NOT connected to WIFI...

... -> "Connection Failure"

ARGH!! 😢

7) Hi, The app needs local network permission. You may have inadvertently restricted this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211870

Permissions already allowed.

Still not working.. :(

Thank you for patience

Edited by Rennaldo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...