IOS app unable to connect to remote server

qkjsdvflmksvclkx
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

On 8/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, Rennaldo said:

As I said, I've tried all steps with no success.

1) If the above still does not work, please ensure the machine running Emby Server is turned on, and that the Emby Server application is running.

Emby Server is turned on (on my pc). I've also restarted Emy Server before the last try, and opened in Chrome and Opera browser.
... -> "Connection Failure"

2) A useful test is to try to use a web browser on another device, such as another computer, smartphone or tablet. You'll need to ensure the other device is connected to the same WIFI network. Try opening a web browser on that device and entering the local address manually:

On iPad Safari browser (same WIFI network)

3) If this still does not work, then most likely the firewall on the server machine is not allowing access. Below are a list of troubleshooting steps that can be taken to resolve this.
Open TCP Port 8096 and 8920 your server's firewall

Opened in firewall Port 8096 both IN and OUT.

4) If you're using third party firewall software, you'll need to follow it's instructions to open the port. Note: If you're using third party antivirus software such as Norton Internet Security, it will most likely have it's own firewall that will need to be configured.

I just have windows firewall

5) Run an AntiVirus Scan
If you're certain you've opened the port and are still unable to connect, the next step will be to ensure the server machine is free of viruses and malware. See AntiVirus software.

I have no virus in my PC

6) Turn off any VPN Connections
VPN (virtual private network) software can change routing and sometimes make connecting to servers on your home network impossible. This is especially true if when running a VPN on your Emby Server.  If you're still unable to connect to your Emby server try turning off any VPN software running on any client or server in your home network.

I have no VPN connections

In PC browser(s) the library is visible.

In both iPad and android Honor Lite 9 (in the same WIFI network) the result is..

In android Samsung S9 (Chrome) NOT connected to WIFI...

ARGH!! 😢

7) Hi, The app needs local network permission. You may have inadvertently restricted this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211870

Permissions already allowed.

Still not working.. :(

Thank you for patience

@Rennaldo are you saying you can't even use the web interface on the local machine?

Rennaldo

No, the web interface goes perfectly, the problem is when I try to use Emby on my iPad to watch my personal pics and movies in a different room (for exemple).

• Solution
21 minutes ago, Rennaldo said:

No, the web interface goes perfectly, the problem is when I try to use Emby on my iPad to watch my personal pics and movies in a different room (for exemple).

Have you ever been able to connect from any device other than the server machine? What platform are you running Emby Server on?

Depechie
On 4/30/2021 at 12:24 AM, Luke said:

Ok, let us know if you figure it out. Thanks.

Did get it to work in the end here... not sure what was wrong before, but I just went over the network settings again and everything is connection now in the Emby iOS app fine.

Screenshot (34).png

Depechie
On 9/5/2021 at 12:11 AM, Luke said:

thanks for the feedback.

LOL I must have jinxed it, been working for several weeks now and I thought let's report back. But yesterday I wanted to do a small update to one of the other docker containers on my linux server and the server froze.

So I had to do a full reboot and restart the docker containers... and back to square one, external website with own domain name and ngnix configured ssl still works, but the iOS app refuses to connect again. ( only if I'm on the same network it will connect to it )

Did not change anything to the configuration.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:46 PM, Glenn said:

LOL I must have jinxed it, been working for several weeks now and I thought let's report back. But yesterday I wanted to do a small update to one of the other docker containers on my linux server and the server froze.

So I had to do a full reboot and restart the docker containers... and back to square one, external website with own domain name and ngnix configured ssl still works, but the iOS app refuses to connect again. ( only if I'm on the same network it will connect to it )

Did not change anything to the configuration.

It may not like your ssl certificate. You'll need to use something that apple devices will trust.

Depechie
47 minutes ago, Luke said:

It may not like your ssl certificate. You'll need to use something that apple devices will trust.

It's from let's encrypt... so I would hope that is known enough

GWTPqZp6b

Hmmmm, I'm seeing this issue now too. My iPhone, ipad and OSX (Catalina) Emby apps are all failing to login remotely now with 4.7.0.10.
The web browser logs in fine from all of them. 
If I VPN in to my home network and access the emby server via my traefik proxy, I can login so maybe something to do with the cloudlfare routing, or the local IP whitelisting?

Edited by GWTPqZp6b
gibberish rambling on version number

3 hours ago, GWTPqZp6b said:

Hmmmm, I'm seeing this issue now too. My iPhone, ipad and OSX (Catalina) Emby apps are all failing to login remotely now with 4.7.0.10.
The web browser logs in fine from all of them. 
If I VPN in to my home network and access the emby server via my traefik proxy, I can login so maybe something to do with the cloudlfare routing, or the local IP whitelisting?

Yes if you're using the whitelist option then you may want to try removing that and see if it helps. thanks.

GWTPqZp6b
18 hours ago, Luke said:

Yes if you're using the whitelist option then you may want to try removing that and see if it helps. thanks.

Resolved my personal challenge, it was header related with my proxy config. 

Edited by GWTPqZp6b

6 hours ago, GWTPqZp6b said:

Thanks for the feedback.

• 4 months later...
windsketch
On 9/12/2021 at 3:12 PM, GWTPqZp6b said:

Hi, I am facing the same issue (only iOS app failed to login, safari and android app work well) and I also use Traefik as proxy. Could you provide the detail of your proxy header config? Thanks.

Edited by windsketch

twitchstick

I'm having the same problem. I can connect to my server using my external domain through cloudflare in a web browser when I'm out. When I try to connect through the app, it won't connect, using the same domain. I've tried port 8920 and 8096 to no avail. 

twitchstick

I don't believe so. It used to work fine until recently. I've been looking to use Emby again since I've been having issues with plex stability but not being able to use the app is a deal breaker. It should be easy to get this setup to work remotely. The app is my only issue right now. 

Edited by twitchstick

On 1/29/2022 at 2:21 PM, twitchstick said:

I don't believe so. It used to work fine until recently. I've been looking to use Emby again since I've been having issues with plex stability but not being able to use the app is a deal breaker. It should be easy to get this setup to work remotely. The app is my only issue right now. 

Please see this and see if it helps: 

Thanks.