save artwork into media folders

michaeljtaylor

michaeljtaylor

I currently use plex and for the most part it meets my needs but I just started to test emby to see if its any better.

so far it seems good. however i have a question regarding saving artwork to media folders.

is it posssible to limit whcih artwork is saved to media folders?  I have unchecked all except primary (under manage image fetchers) but it saves a poster.jpg and a fanart.jpg. i would prefer just the poster.jpg. also is it possible to have emby save the poster.jpg as folder.jpg?

thank you

Michael

is it possible to have emby save the poster.jpg as folder.jpg?

Hi, we don't currently have a setting for this, but I suppose it is always possible for the future.

is it posssible to limit whcih artwork is saved to media folders?  I have unchecked all except primary (under manage image fetchers) but it saves a poster.jpg and a fanart.jpg.

You can't configure download location individually for each specific image type, you can only configure whether they get downloaded or not. There is a separate checkbox to save downloaded artwork into media folders, and this applies to all images.

For fanart, that is the backdrop image type, that one isn't using a checkbox but rather a limit. You would set the limit to 0, to get 0 backdrops.

Does this answer your questions?

michaeljtaylor

Hi Luke,

thanks for the info.  im not looking to save each specific image type to a different location. i just dont want them downloaded but it seems even though I have unchecked all except primary (under manage image fetchers) I still get various images for banner, backdrop, etc... I will try setting the backdrop limit to 0 but I suspect I will still get the other images (banner, etc)

basically I ONLY want 1 image in my media folders (poster.jpg)  that's all nothing else..  and if in the future if I could save the poster image as folder.jpg that would be even better.

I will try the setting you suggested and keep an eye on new releases for a setting to save as foldr.jpg.

thanks

-Mike

I'm guessing they must have already been downloaded by the time you toggled those settings.

Either that or you may not have configured it for each of your libraries.

michaeljtaylor

they were downloaded already, i didnt see the settings until i started to poke around after I initially setup the movie library.

I only setup one test movie library for now (only contains about 10 movies) as I didn't want to muck up my real folders until I know how emby worked.

but I deleted all the images from the folders after I found the settings and unchecked everything except for primary, however they are still downloaded and placed in the movie folders...  so it seems the changes I made (unchecking everything except primary) are not taking effect. unless I'm misunderstanding the purpose of that section??

thanks

-Mike

They are taking effect, but they only apply to new downloads going forward. They will not change what has already been downloaded. They will also not change any data that has already been saved.

Additionally they are separate for each library, and even within each library, they are also separate per type so you will need to make sure to configure all of them.

After that if you still think there's an issue then let's go over a specific example. Thanks.

michaeljtaylor

ok so it sounds like i would need to delete the library,  and change all settings (uncheck everything except primary) before i let it perform an initial scan of my movie folder/libray, then i will only see the primary image? is this correct?

if so its a bit unintuitive but if that's the case at least I know...  things like this are exactly why I created a test library… otherwise I would have all sorts of unwanted image files in all my movie folders... 

thanks for the info

ok so it sounds like i would need to delete the library,  and change all settings (uncheck everything except primary) before i let it perform an initial scan of my movie folder/libray, then i will only see the primary image? is this correct?

Yes but if those library folders already have images inside, then those images will be used. So in addition to that, you may also want to delete existing unwanted images.

michaeljtaylor

yes i would also delete all the images in the folders...

I will give it a go.

thanks again

-Mike