Question on live TV before I buy Emby Premiere

Mbedford

Mbedford

Love live TV schedule and DVR features of windows media center, but proving a real pain to fix each time MS release a new windows 10 update.

Thinking of switching to Emby for live TV, schedule listing and DVR functions are important to me.

Question: Windows media center reads all the TV schedule information from my Haupage TV tuners digitally over the air from the Australian digital TV providers, does the Emby schedule do this as well?
if so how is it configured?

(I dont want to pay for a 3rd party schedule providing service)

Thanks

BAlGaInTl

Love live TV schedule and DVR features of windows media center, but proving a real pain to fix each time MS release a new windows 10 update.

Thinking of switching to Emby for live TV, schedule listing and DVR functions are important to me.

Question: Windows media center reads all the TV schedule information from my Haupage TV tuners digitally over the air from the Australian digital TV providers, does the Emby schedule do this as well?

if so how is it configured?

(I dont want to pay for a 3rd party schedule providing service)

Thanks

Last I knew, Emby doesn't read directly from the Haupage tuners.

You can do it through the use of TVHeadend or similar system, or build an XML file using other scraping software, but that adds layers of complexity.  

I've found that the small price that Schedules Direct charges for their guide data is completely reasonable.

• Like 1

I've found that the small price that Schedules Direct charges for their guide data is completely reasonable.

I don't believe they cover Australia but IceTV does...

Senna

Last I knew, Emby doesn't read directly from the Haupage tuners.

You can do it through the use of TVHeadend or similar system...

If Emby can't read the in-band EPG from each transponder from the Haupage tuners to retrieve the schedule listing for all your channels, then indeed you need TVHeadend or TVMosaic as back-end.The last one is more easy to configure, coming from Windows Media Center.

Sammy

epg123 will create an xmltv file if you tell it to do so while it is creating the mxf file for WMC guide data. You can use that file or you can use ServerWMC to duplicate your WMC guide and recordings in Emby LiveTV. I do the latter. I do not mind paying $2.07 a month for accurate and rich guide data.

Sammy

BTW, I do not think WMC reads the OTA guide data but rather uses Rovi / TiVo for guide data. I might be wrong.

Mbedford

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions to use various services, but I just want to use the over the air provided guide data as it is very good in Australia and free.

So can someone answer if the Emby live TV schedule supports over the air guide data please?

arrbee99

Well, I can use NextPVR to get the OTA guide via a Hauppauge card and dvb-s in New Zealand. You'd need to install and configure NextPVR app and makes sure it tunes and everything and then add the NextPVR plugin to Emby.

Mediaportal also does the same. Same procedure, install MediaPortal TVServer and check it works then the MP Emby plugin.

You can use the built in Emby Hauppauge feature as well. Think you need WinTV8 installed. Not sure if it actually provides a guide, don't think it did for me but I never set it properly to check so maybe it does.

You could also use m3u stuff I think using stuff from here (or similar)  https://www.matthuisman.nz/2017/08/nz-au-iptv-epg-files.html which provides url's and a guide. This is likely to be the quickest to actually tune to channels.

So can someone answer if the Emby live TV schedule supports over the air guide data please?

Not directly at this time but it can via the Live TV plug-ins mentioned above (e.g. NextPVR).

• 4 weeks later...
Mbedford

FYI to answer this. If you configure WMC and ServerWMC, then add the serverWMC plugin to Emby.

Emby live TV schedule will then read and display all the TV schedule information.