Can't connect to local server with Apple TV & Emby

Holly_starwolf

Holly_starwolf

Hi, I am a new user (came from Plex). Just got an Apple TV and downloaded the app on the Apple TV and on my Mac. The server is on a hard-drive connected to my Mac.  I am trying to access the server through Emby from my Apple TV and it is showing the screen

Welcome to Emby. Inserted photo.

​I went through the Enter server Address. ( I tested it on another computer PC - worked just fine). And it does not even show an error screen just loops back to the same "welcome to Emby".  I have checked my LAN setting on the Apple TV and reset them, nothing is working.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Holly

post-321827-0-62070500-1528589821_thumb.jpg

corey

Hi @@Holly_starwolf --

I'm one of the developers on the Apple TV Emby app. I've run through a couple of different scenarios on my own setup and I cannot repeat this. The only thing that comes to mind would be entering an incorrect IP address, port or something along those lines.

Can you provide what server address you're entering on the server address screen?

Thanks!

Holly_starwolf

Hi,  I am getting the LAN address from the Mac computer (where the server is) - it is logged in and it tells me on the dashboard page

192.168.55.67:8096

That is also the address I use to access it from my other PC.

Thanks

Holly_starwolf

When i type in 192.168.55.67 goes to a screen that says htpp://192.168.55.67:8096 (without me putting in the 8096) then it just goes back to the same screen of Welcome to Emby.

Thanks

Holly_starwolf

Ok, Iam trying to set this up for my Father-in-law. So I had it in his room. To make it easier on me I test it with trying to find the Advanved Network setting (as I found this other post) could not figure out how to get into it. So to make my life easiry I took the apple tv and pluged it in next to my computer into a different tv. I loaded it and booted up Emby and it worked. (did not ask for any address or the connect button, just played my server. So I thought great something is working.  I unplugged it and plugged it back into the room and tried Emby and it went to the same Welcome to Emby screen, please enter web address. I did not change anything or do anything else except CHANGE THE TV.  is something I am not seeing?

Please help me to understand.

Thanks

Holly_starwolf

Ok, I found a work around right now. Don't know exactly how to fix it, but for anyone else that might be having the same issue as me. What I tried is that I moved a TV that had it into the original room that I wanted Emby and the Apple TV to work.  Emby did not work.  So the next conclusion was that there is interference in that room, even though I could load other internet apps on the Apple TV (You Tube). So I am not sure what is going on but I was able to get a fix by running the Apple TV into the TV with a 25' long HDMI cable from the other room. (My original room is Open walled).

So for me I found a fix right now, not sure what is blocking the Emby app with running in the room, but I have it setup now.

Thanks all who tried to help, and I hope this helps the next person down the road.

Definitely sounds like wifi interference.

We need to get a proper message in the app when the connection to the server fails though.

Senna

Why does nobody ask what the IP address is from the Apple TV, when the Apple TV is in the room where the Emby app doesn’t work ?!

Looks like the Apple TV is connecting to an other Wi-Fi network in that problem room and therefore can’t find Emby server !

Why does nobody ask what the IP address is from the Apple TV, when the Apple TV is in the room where the Emby app doesn’t work ?!

Looks like the Apple TV is connecting to an other Wi-Fi network in that problem room and therefore can’t find Emby server !

What are you trying to say?

Senna

What are you trying to say?

Don't just read the last reply in this topic Luke :P;)

Was just wondering why Emby devs overlooked an important clue Holly gave, which was worth investigating, what might was going on.

So the next conclusion was that there is interference in that room, even though I could load other internet apps on the Apple TV (You Tube)...