Going to 3.4 on Linux is a major issue

tymanthius

tymanthius

So, I'm one of those emby users who paid for a lifetime, mostly just go along and run apt update as needed and let things run.

Well, suddenly I'm seeing there's an update but I can't get via apt.  Wierd.  So I go looking, and there's a lot of random comments I can find on how you have to manually update to 3.4, and no repos in the foreseeable future. That's very annoying.

But I could live with it. My issue is, there was no announcement I saw that this was coming. There was no 'you have an update, but it needs special attentioin' in the dashboard. And worst, I think, no clear place to find a good baseline of what you need to do to update.

I find this to be a total customer service fail.  It's also a minor to medium technical fail as so many people are having issues updateing.

Me for instance. I can't get 3.4 to run stable.  Often it'll run for a while, but randomly crashes. Sometimes I will start it and it claims the process is already started even tho ps -A | grep emby shows nothing.

And I get constant apt errors complaining about libc-bin, even tho I appear to have the correct version installed.  I'm on proxmox w/ a Debian 8 container.  

At this point I'm thinking of testing Plex out again.  Although I may try to build a brand new debian 9 container.

Either way, this is probably the clumsiest thing I've seen from the Emby team.

tymanthius

try this

sudo dpkg -i emby-server-deb_3.4.1.0_amd64.deb

I did that. More than once. 

What finally 'fixed' it for me was to spin up a new container based on Debian 9 and do a fresh install. Used the server backup/restore to get my settings back. 

Mostly worked except that I have to reinvite friends/family and I had to manually reset all the library accesses.

The tech side of things - meh. Shit happens. But the customer service side was really terribly executed.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and yes, we can and should have handled this better. Thank you for your feedback.

• Like 1

nicheplayer

I apologize for the inconvenience, and yes, we can and should have handled this better. Thank you for your feedback.

So should I be waiting to update, then, using the “new” overwrite method, for a while...? Here’s my current software:

2018-06-19 00:00:00.014 Info App: Application version: 3.3.1.0

2018-06-19 00:00:00.026 Info App: Emby

Command line: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata /var/lib/emby-server -restartpath /usr/lib/emby-server/restart.sh

Operating system: Unix 3.2.0.4

64-Bit OS: True

64-Bit Process: True

User Interactive: False

Mono: 4.8.1 (Stable 4.8.1.0/22a39d7 Wed May 3 04:55:25 UTC 2017)

Processor count: 2

Program data path: /var/lib/emby-server

Application directory: /usr/lib/emby-server/bin