Archive - Samsung Smart TV App - Public Alpha Test

chessdragon136

Ka Hooli

The C Series TV's are a bit underpowered, I have no idea if my app will run on that, feel free to try - but can you try sync the app to that tv.. that may help diagnose the issue. 

There may be a strange issue in my build but given others in Australia have used it fine I can't imagine what the problem would be. I do know it installs on bluray players as i run it on my D series BD... Perhaps the HiFi's are different somehow.

I finish work in about 90 minutes, I'll try then on the TV for testing.

The issue shouldn't be my network or internet.  My TV, HT & Server (and other equipment) are all connected with Cat6 cabling to a CISCO gigabit switch -> ASUS AC-RT66U router -> 100mbps Fibre internet connection.  Everything else seems to work fine.

There's a second method for app installation in Smart Hub; but It's mentioned that works for 2013+ models, but you may try, I guess it's an alternative for those who has a problem with the common method; @@chessdragon136 you may provide the installation file in a dropbox link or something:

Running from an attached USB stick - only available if you have a model from 2013 or later:

apps.png

1. Download the installation file, and place it onto a USB stick. The file must be unzipped first (at the root of the USB stick) to be used.
  2. In the Samsung Smart Hub, go to the Apps page, then scroll down to More Apps.
  3. Insert the USB stick into the one of the ports of the TV (don’ insert it before being in Apps > More Apps).
  4. Wait for the icon of app to appear, and launch it: this phase may take a bit more time as the app is launching from a USB device (app will not be installed on your TV and requires to keep the USB stick plugged in).

Copied: http://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/tutorials/597

Regards,

DaN

Edited by DaN

chessdragon136

Ok, when you're back do test and let me know - I also have a test app so if it doesn't work I'll ask you to re-sync again and see if it can install this test app.. 

And yeah it's not your internet as you can see the app.. 

Ka Hooli

There's a second method for app installation in Smart Hub; but It's mentioned that works for 2013+ models...

I'm starting to wish I had saved up the extra Aud$328 and got the HT-F9750W now... E = 2012 (was on sale) & F = 2013.

Oh well, will reply back once I've finished work.

Edited by Ka Hooli

chessdragon136

I think the usb sideloading like that requires me to have a signature file so that may not be soo easy.. 

And we will work out what's wrong somehow

Ka Hooli

When I try to login to the tv, I get an error about "no user account available", this is before being able to put in any details.

Tried installing on the HT again, but same issue as before :(

chessdragon136

You'll need to create the develop account then - I think instructions are on the main thread, if not google will answer that..

CBers

@@chessdragon136 - to add to your audio playback investigations, I have discovered the following.

When playing AC3/DolbyD audio via your app, my TV doesn't detect it as such, so outputs it to my Sonos via PCM and it receives it as Stereo.

If I change the digital optical output on my TV to Dolby D then my Sonos receives it as such.

If however, I play the same video/audio via the DLNA/PlayTo functionality from the MB3 Dashboard, or via the Android app, my TV detects the audio as DolbyD without me having to change any settings on my TV. As such, it is passed to my Sonos PlayBar as Dolby D as well.

This doesn't help me with DTS as the Sonos PlayBar doesn't support DTS !!

Just thought I'd post about this in case it helps any.

TIA.

chessdragon136

After a lot of stuffing around, I eventually gave up and did a factory reset of my 2010 TV (hold down exit button for 10 sec), which reset the apps installed and allowed me to create an Internet@TV login. I was able to then add the develop, and successfully install the MediaBrowser app.

When I go to run the app, it freezes my TV and after powering on and off, I can't access the Internet@TV (aka Smart Hub), and have to do another factory reset.

So basically, yes it installs, but wouldn't recommend it on C (2010) year TV's.

Hmm, well sorry about that -> How far into the app does it get before freezing?

In reality, I doubt I will ever support 2010 models, and even Samsung are soon to close app registration (about 1 months time) for 2010 series equipment so my earliest models will be D series. Even so I am intrigued to know. 

As for your HiFi not playing ball, I can't test now (rather intoxicated) but hopefully over the weekend we can look into it and try the test app i specifically made for you!

Again sorry for crashing your tv.. 

Ka Hooli

You'll need to create the develop account then - I think instructions are on the main thread, if not google will answer that..

After a lot of stuffing around, I eventually gave up and did a factory reset of my 2010 TV (hold down exit button for 10 sec), which reset the apps installed and allowed me to create an Internet@TV login. I was able to then add the develop, and successfully install the MediaBrowser app.

When I go to run the app, it freezes my TV and after powering on and off, I can't access the Internet@TV (aka Smart Hub), and have to do another factory reset.

So basically, yes it installs, but wouldn't recommend it on C (2010) year TV's.

ginjaninja

Feedback from 2012 e series tv.

needed to go to.press tools..develop to agree to ts and cs. After logging in as develop.

Performance seems spritely during navigation.

Love the ability to go up and down episode number from details screen.

Audio breaks up very occasionly, most frequently just after starting playback. Not sure yet if its container/streamtype/profile specific. Audio mode is always 0. Will keep an eye on.

Fast forward stops working after 1 to a few presses.

Love ability to browse cast.

Loving your work..thanks for developing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ka Hooli

Hmm, well sorry about that -> How far into the app does it get before freezing?

In reality, I doubt I will ever support 2010 models, and even Samsung are soon to close app registration (about 1 months time) for 2010 series equipment so my earliest models will be D series. Even so I am intrigued to know.

As for your HiFi not playing ball, I can't test now (rather intoxicated) but hopefully over the weekend we can look into it and try the test app i specifically made for you!

Again sorry for crashing your tv..

All good, not your fault, I knew installing Alpha software has its risks :)

I could select it and press enter, but still just sit at the Internet@TV screen frozen.

I continued having issues with my C (2010) TV after, where I was trying to watch stuff via HDMI1 and the screen would go blank for a short time, and no red LED response next to the IR sensor with remote key presses until it came up again. This happened every 2-10 minutes until I uninstalled the MediaBrowser app from it several hours later.

As for my E (2012) year Blu-Ray Home Theatre system, I'm still having the same issues as I was the other day, install bar gets to 100% and sits there until I power off the system :(

Edited by Ka Hooli

ronvp

Excellent job.. I do have a few comments/requests

1 - would it be possible to implement a option to uses the DLNA "play-to" function from the server? This uses the native Samsung player and allows 3D to work..it also allows subtitles, etc..

2 - can we use the direction keys to select the menu? using the tools button is not very intuitive, giving the overall interface

3 - can we set a default user? Right now it is asking for a user login each time..

chessdragon136

Hi All,

• Ignore the Audio 0 in the video player info button :) 
  • As for audio skipping in playback its a buffering issue which I don't quite know how to solve at the moment... Sadly the Samsung video player doesnt let me use Direct Playback so I am using Direct Streaming through the server which may be impeding any buffer settings I have - I'm trying to confirm but it isn't easy
  • I will disable fast forward in the next release as it is causing problems.. again is related to the point above.
  • Ka Hooli -> I'll update my post to say D series + -> as for you BluRay Hifi I'm just going to have to ask for patience and try to fix it when I can.. Given you are the only person I know having the problem its difficult to prioritise (sorry)
  • DLNA play to function - Remember this i a very early verison of the app, I've been working on this less than 2 months from absolute start -> look at my forum join date ;)  My ultimate aim will to have a player with more features than the samsung one, allowing for displaying video information, subtitle, audio and video selection / transcoding, real seek and everything else... But my code doesn't allow for this and I have been making huge changes to video playback that will allow me to implement all this.. Basically I need a lot of time to get this done. 
  • Directional Keys to Menu -> No. It actually makes it worse, as when navigating up and down lists its nice it stops on the top list rather than jump to the menu every time. I appreciate this is a preference thing but it really does work better on a dedicated key from tests I've done. And adding it as a user option is not possible. 
  • Default user is on my list of things to do. 
  • Like 1

Ka Hooli

• Ka Hooli -> I'll update my post to say D series + -> as for you BluRay Hifi I'm just going to have to ask for patience and try to fix it when I can.. Given you are the only person I know having the problem its difficult to prioritise (sorry)
Hey Chess, all good :D

I understand this is alpha, and am happy to help where I can.

For the moment the kids have either MBC via Xbox 360 or Plex for Samsung (but I prefer MB3 as I've been using it for years, and love the parental controls).

I'll keep an eye on this thread for developments, and happy to test &/or help where I can :)

• Like 1

chessdragon136

I'll PM you when I have good news for you - Thanks for your testing, is just as good to know what doesn't work as to what does :D 

• Like 1

CBers

Hi All,

• Ignore the Audio 0 in the video player info button  :)
  • As for audio skipping in playback its a buffering issue which I don't quite know how to solve at the moment... Sadly the Samsung video player doesnt let me use Direct Playback so I am using Direct Streaming through the server which may be impeding any buffer settings I have - I'm trying to confirm but it isn't easy
  • I will disable fast forward in the next release as it is causing problems.. again is related to the point above.
  • DLNA play to function - Remember this i a very early verison of the app, I've been working on this less than 2 months from absolute start -> look at my forum join date  ;)  My ultimate aim will to have a player with more features than the samsung one, allowing for displaying video information, subtitle, audio and video selection / transcoding, real seek and everything else... But my code doesn't allow for this and I have been making huge changes to video playback that will allow me to implement all this.. Basically I need a lot of time to get this done. 
  • Directional Keys to Menu -> No. It actually makes it worse, as when navigating up and down lists its nice it stops on the top list rather than jump to the menu every time. I appreciate this is a preference thing but it really does work better on a dedicated key from tests I've done. And adding it as a user option is not possible. 

DLNA PlayTo from the Android app works just fine to my Samsung. I don't think it's been implemented in the server as yet.

Subtitle and audio track selections are available from the Tools menu on the TV when playing via the DLNA/PlayTo function as well.

For information, I'm not seeing any issues with audio, video, FF or REW in this app on my Sammy F8000. Please DON'T disable it the next version, unless you can make it model specific ??

TIA.

Edited by CBers

ronvp

Hi All,

• DLNA play to function - Remember this i a very early verison of the app, I've been working on this less than 2 months from absolute start -> look at my forum join date ;)  My ultimate aim will to have a player with more features than the samsung one, allowing for displaying video information, subtitle, audio and video selection / transcoding, real seek and everything else... But my code doesn't allow for this and I have been making huge changes to video playback that will allow me to implement all this.. Basically I need a lot of time to get this done. 

Excellent to see you are considering implementing the DLNA Play-to.. It may be challenging to implement because basically we would be asking it to "play-to" itself. However, as far as I can tell for MB the Play-to is implemented and instigated from the server, so the MB server would be doing a "Play-to" the Samsung.. it maybe possible.

For me the use of directional keys to select the menu options is essential. This is also how almost each and every Samsung app works and even the smart hub itself. Check-out the Samsung Netflix app, it works really well. In fact using directional key to select menus is how the whole MBC app and media center works. It is just very intuitive..

chessdragon136

Sorry I probably wasn't clear - I won't be implementing DLNA Play to in this app as it is mostly pointless -> You wouldn't use the Samsung app to play to another device - Why would anyone?. All I meant to say is that there will be many improvements to the video player aspect of the program so it surpasses the inbuilt Samsung video player and offers all the required functionality. 

Hopefully the Server will implement a true DLNA server so you can navigate from the tv and find your programs outside of my app - although I still recommend my app ;), but that is not my remit, that is the Server Teams..

Directional Keys I will now reinvestigate and see what I can do. Despite it going against my personal judgement I'm happy to let the majority rule and hopefully implement both systems with a user setting.

Disabling FF-RW - It may be disabled in the next release -> I really need details from people as to when or when it isn't working correctly over a wide variety of TV's and file formats (FF-RW will be disabled for transcoding files, Samsung limitation currently) - Don't start this now in this thread, I'll create another thread when ready and ask then. 

• Like 1

ginjaninja

Afaik successful 3d playback is not reakly to do with dlna play back. Rather the tv auto detects 3d content and transcoding gets in the way. So the bigger prize is only transcoding content when necessary. And not transcoding 3d films in a way that breaks 3d detection by tv.

Might have to get myself an evolution kit if 2013 models work better, was looking for a reason.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

CBers

I know this is has been mentioned before, but can there be more than 6 items listed in the suggested views please ??

Unless there is a limitation somewhere.

TIA.

• Like 1

CBers

Also, would it be possible to show the Date Aired for TV episodes when in the detail screen please ??

TIA.

• Like 1

chessdragon136

New Major Build Release - v0.400d with what I think are some cool features

Please uninstall the app and then re-install as per the first time please - Don't just update the app. 

ChangeLog

Added Transcoding logic
Added support for Multiple Versions of a file (See the new server build for details)
Added support for Multiple Servers & Default Server AutoConnect
Added support for User Settings
   Ability to set Default User for AutoLogin purposes
   Ability to customise the home page with any 2 (or just 1) of the following items
         All Resumable Items
         TV Next Up
         Suggested Movies
         Media Folders
         Latest TV
         Latest Movies
   Ability to set up Dolby and DTS audio - (Not complete in that it has issues which i think relate to 2012 models - Anyone who can help is appreciated)
Added support for Useful Error Messages
Added : The up arrow will now select the menu bar when appropriate. Likewise the down arrow will take you off the menu bar

Fixed Episode Navigation 

Altered Resume, Next-Up, Suggested & Latest Pages to get the latest 12 items instead of 6.
Altered Movies Suggested page to only show suggested Movies -> No longer shows resumable movies (As a direct result of showing more items it is nicer this way)
Altered layout of New Server page to be more friendly with the text input
Altered video player information to show codec bits

Completed Cast Page Design

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notes:
Installing and running this will ask for your server details again - Sorry
Transcoding is still disabled. 
The Transcoding logic introduced in this version means that instead of the app just trying to play the file and throwing you back to the previous page if it fails has been replaced with this logic. The logic looks at the video file properties and assess if the file is compatible to play to the tv without transcoding.

If you have a file that gives you an error message but you think should play, please do the following:
  • Try to play the file to the tv using the DLNA function if possible If it plays then I need to know the contents of the error message shown when trying to play the file, along with the file information from the web browser (Go to the item in the web browser and go to the Media Info tab, and screenshot or copy paste that info)

Also, if a file plays but has problems let me know the file info as per above.

Again as always, this is Alpha stuff that I've made public so I can get the required testing - Don't expect it to be 100%
Edited by chessdragon136
  • Like 4

Ka Hooli

Still unable to install on my HT-E6750W (software version: HTB-E5500WWB-1019.3, Smart Hub version: 4.6021-5.0).

That being said, please keep up the great work :D