Transcoding problems

danswan

danswan

I've yet to see transcoding work properly, I assume it's something up with my setup as I can't see others having the same problems. 

I'm running Version 3.0.5192.19560 on an Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.40Ghz (not overclocked)  and the client I'm using to test transcoding is android on a Nexus 7 2013 model. 

Basically, taking one file as an example (full info on dropbox links below) anything I transcode results in a grey screen, the audio is fine and I get occasional artifacts on screen, but no picture. I've tried on 1.0mb/sec up to 11mb/sec and there's no difference. As soon as I go to 12mb/sec and above the server stops transcoding the video, the android client displays 'Streamcopy' and I get a perfect picture.

Link to logs & mediainfo for file

This isn't consistent, on another file it says it's transcoding and I get a perfect picture, but I've tried as low as 250kb/sec, which I would think should look awful, and it looks exactly the same as when it's streaming directly, so I don't believe it's actually transcoding correctly at all. 

Link to logs & mediainfo for file

Any ideas what's wrong here?

*Edit* I should add that for all these tests transcoding was set to auto on the server

Edited by danswan

Redshirt

The second issue is one we're already aware of and I'm fixing. The client is requestion 0 for the bitrate and the server is using the source bitrate in all cases. That's why the movie looks the same.

As for the first issue. Does that same movie perform the same way when transcoding using the web client?

• Like 1

danswan

Thanks for looking Redshirt. Good to know that issue's in hand. I was thinking I hadn't any other clients to test on, never thought of the web client  :rolleyes: . Transcoding seems to work as expected when using the web client, so I guess this is an android problem?

Redshirt

Both these issues have been fixed. The next build will go to my beta team tomorrow and later in the week or next weekend I'll release it publicly.

• Like 1

danswan

Great news, thanks to you and all the team for an amazing product that's getting better all the time :)

• 2 weeks later...
danswan

Still getting inconsistent results having upgraded to Version 3.0.5209.29215. There's 3 scenarios I come across and I can't seem to achieve the same thing each time, so I don't think it depends on the file I'm trying to play. I either get no transcoding at all, extremely low bitrate transcoding or it transcodes as expected.  I'll link to logs and mediainfo for each file, with logs for different bitrates for each:

1. To my eye, I think transcoding was working OK here. Link

2. This one looked awful at 250kbs as expected, but continued to look equally awful as I increased quality, up to 10mbs where it stopped transcoding and streamed directly, perfectly. Link

3. This one Didn't appear to transcode at all, it looked equally good at 250kbs and 2.2mbs up to 13mbs where it stopped 'transcoding'. Link

Any ideas?

Edited by danswan

For the second one, the bitrate requested should be multiplied by 1000. Either there's a trivial bug on the client-side, or the server's media info is off. So you should check the detail page of the web client.

For the third one the client is requesting a zero bitrate, which probably gets translated by ffmpeg to max bitrate. I know Red fixed that bug but that update might not be released yet. 

danswan

Thanks for looking Luke. For the second one here's what it says in the web client for bitrate:

53445b6b36e5b_screen.png

Ok, for that one, the bitrate is correct (web client displays divided by 1000). So it's possible there's a trivial issue in the android app that can be fixed very easily.

Redshirt

The issue is already fixed in the Android client. I just haven't got the build out to the public yet do the the connectivity changes being tested.

Edited by Redshirt