Library sync thread has excited

kodiak437

Angelblue05

It's just impossible to do with the way things are set up right one. But I will definitely look to add something like that for Leia. Right now it's a "catch all error".

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Gerrit507

Wow your update just cost me 2hrs of figuring out what the hell was going on. My ATV was on Leia Alpha1 and apperantly the addon must have been updated and just broke syncing. Why are you implementing something like:

If version is v18 use new db scheme

Instead of looking for the exact build where the change was made?

I bet you just broke the addon on hundreds or thousands machines...

I've now been forced to update to the latest nightly to get it working again.

Angelblue05

If it's not clear yet, Leia is not yet supported. Sorry that bleeding edge cost you time, I guess?

Edit: The reason why Leia is not supported is because things are still moving. Things will surely break at one point of another. You should expect that when it's not supported.

Edit2: A better alternative to this eternal problem could be to just remove support for Kodi 18 completely until it's officially released. Then no confusion right?

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Gerrit507

Bleeding edge?

1. Alpha1 is a pre-release, no nightly

2. Many people are using Leia

3. Projects like libreelec offer Leia versions

4. Though Leia is still alpha, it's available for months now

And that you call bleeding edge? Fine...

Emby is moving to a brand new pre-release Net Core Version themselves but "doesn't support" software which is avaible for months. Unbelievable...

The update was just a bad practice of versioning and compatability and nothing else. This contradicts to everything you learn as a software developer.

Edited by Gerrit507

Angelblue05

A better alternative to this eternal problem could be to just remove support for Kodi 18 completely until it's officially released. Then no confusion right? ;)

It is bleeding edge in the sense that it's not supported by the add-on yet *and Kodi Leia is not RC.

Edited by Angelblue05

Gerrit507

Well you could drop it from "not supported" to "totally not supported" but this would scare away many (paying) emby users. This addon even has a beta channel. Wouldn't it be good to work towards supporting the next release of kodi on this channel, as the point of this addon is to connect kodi with emby, maintaining and providing this feature also in the future?

Edited by Gerrit507

Angelblue05

Indeed, I kinda like the sound of totally not supported. I mean it would be way easier all around since I'm the only person who maintains this add-on. There's no beta at this time. The only beta will be when Leia hits RC.

This is not an Emby product. This fully free add-on was made by regular emby users who liked Kodi. We've been through this over the years, every Kodi iteration since Isengard. We've debated, not supporting vs supporting unreleased Kodi builds.

And what I've learned over the years is that, 1. Something breaks. Read the changelog. 2. Unsupported?, manually update. Read the changelog, and update when you are aware of the changes.

changelog: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21888-emby-for-kodi/?p=586970

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 2

Gerrit507

I'm not using Leia just to have new features or somewhat. I'm using it because it's the first version that works properly on Android TV. Furthermore the kodi devs stated that all further development for Android will go into the Leia branch. Long story short: For me there is just no other option if I want full functioning kodi on my ATV. I also think that there are many users out there in the same situation.

I still appreciate your work. My point was that an update should never break compatibility to older versions.

I'm getting your statement and I'd agree with you in general but in this case I think Leia support would be great, because it's huge step for kodi. It's not only better feature wise, stability has improved a lot. I'm using kodi since version 12 or somewhat, when it was called xbmc, and all other version increments never felt that meaningful compared to this one, especially on Android.

And by the way your addon was the reason for me to choose emby over plex because the integration in Kodi is purely amazing.

Edited by Gerrit507

Angelblue05

I understand your point. But for an unsupported version, not so much. We end up with people that actually follow the Leia development (I am) and those that remain on an old and soon to be irrelevant version (like you are). If you want to remain on a version when we know things are changing then why are you even updating emby for kodi for? Don't update if you can live without the new changes/everything works or update the unsupported build with the updated emby for kodi.

This situation is why we debate. Anyway, next time I'll add "update to latest nightly" next to the changelog for the database update. But I expect the same thing will also happen with Kodi 19, 20, etc. Until Kodi hits RC, the database changes will keep breaking this add-on because it interacts with the Kodi database.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

flatline69

@@Angelblue05 - not every single complaint speaks for every one of us using your work.

Everyone else: Turn off auto-update and check forums for updates. Pretty simple. Otherwise, troubleshoot (as I did, I messed up too but it only cost me time--since I have an image of my CoreELEC build, it's easy for me to restore--same with my Emby data) and report so others can benefit.

feerlessleadr

agreed - it literally took 2 seconds to check the forums after the syncing broke to figure out what happened. then another 2 seconds to update to the latest nightly and back up and running.

Please don't take the ungratefulness of a select few and remove support for Leia as my wife would kill me, since Leia is the only version that properly works for us on our Shield!

• Like 1

Gerrit507

Only because I criticize something it means that I'm ungrateful?

You probably don't know anything about software development and because of that don't understand the critic...

Erm i don´t want to upset anyone but +1 for the problem.

How can i manually fix this myself... the devs don´t have to be chasing around kodi changing code all the time... (i can relate to the devs issue).

So can someone explain me like a 5 years old what do i have to do to fix this?

I understand you downloaded latest nightly... but when i use the android installer i cannot choose, it just downloads and do not let me install (iam on a mibox).

which nightly are you talking... emby or kodi? you downloaded from github? repo or what?

i cannot read minds or half sentences sorry.

edit: i think it is broken again i have the 3.03a from beta repo and leia alpha :S

Edited by Norin

feerlessleadr

You probably don't know anything about software development and because of that don't understand the critic...

I isn't that you criticized, it is very clearly how your message was delivered to the devs (which was quite poor BTW) about software that it is clearly stated is not officially updated for the kodi's ALPHA software version. Yet the only reason it is updated, is because the devs are nice enough to do so for those of us that have asked nicely (but repeatedly) in the past.

It is also interesting that while I may not know anything about software development, I was able to solve the problem in under 5 minutes by reading 1 response in 1 thread, by installing the latest kodi nightly, yet you (who apparently I don't understand) wasn't able to figure it out without throwing a hissy fit on the forums because ALPHA software stopped working. 

Makes sense

feerlessleadr

Erm i don´t want to upset anyone but +1 for the problem.

How can i manually fix this myself... the devs don´t have to be chasing around kodi changing code all the time... (i can relate to the devs issue).

So can someone explain me like a 5 years old what do i have to do to fix this?

I understand you downloaded latest nightly... but when i use the android installer i cannot choose, it just downloads and do not let me install (iam on a mibox).

which nightly are you talking... emby or kodi? you downloaded from github? repo or what?

i cannot read minds or half sentences sorry.

edit: i think it is broken again i have the 3.03a from beta repo and leia alpha :S

Assuming you aren't already using this - install the Kodi Android installer Add-on (https://kodi.tv/addon/scripts/kodi-android-installer) from the official kodi repo (I believe it is listed under the programs section).

Run the add-on, and select nightlies. From there, search through the list of nightlies and install a recent nightly version of kodi. I believe I am running a nightly compiled on June 9th, and that works fine with this version of emby for kodi. All you need to do to install is click the file in the addon, it will download, and your mibox will ask if you want to update your app, and that's it. 

Before you update to the latest nightly, make a backup of your kodi profile (located in /sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/). To do that, just copy the .kodi folder in the same location, and change the name to .bak. You should also use the backup add-on to make a separate backup (just to be safe). I found that if you update from an early version of kodi Leia to a recent nightly, sometimes the database migration can fail, and kodi will hang. With a profile backup (ie the copy you renamed to .bak), if it does hang, you can delete the ,kodi folder, and re-copy you .bak folder to .kodi and try again. This is a worst case scenario though, but better to be safe than sorry.

Hopefully that fixes it for you.

• Like 1

thanks i have tried that... but it seems the android installer does not let me choose, it arbitrary downloads what i have chosen on first time download, but i will uninstall and install the addon again and ill try.

i will leave a reply.

abescalamis

They don't mean it like that, is just that some of us know coding and understand why alpha or beta don't get supported.

supporting betas or alphas most of the time is a waist of time, that time could be use for something better to improve the application.

Why:

there was a dev once who supported a alpha application and put an insane amount of hours coding a plugin, when the application reached its final released, he realized that if he would had waited for the final release the weeks of work would had been just a couple of hours.

I also got some answer to your questions

Bleeding edge? Yes we call the use of an alpha, beta bleeding edge.

1. Alpha1 is a pre-release, no nightly : you are wrong, there is an alpha nightly release with some changes everyday 

2. Many people are using Leia : " This doesn't mean that is stable, this people are call tester (emby also has them)"

3. Projects like libreelec offer Leia versions: "yes, because those need to be tested as well.

4. Though Leia is still alpha, it's available for months now : Leia is considered as one of the biggest releases of Kodi ever, and it has been on alpha for around 1y and 6 and is still in alpha, any other release of Kodi would had been stable by now but no Leia.

For us who know this is what alpha and beta means:

Alpha = unstable, unsupported, things brake every day, and use only if you have no other choice and you are willing to spend huge amount hours fixing things.

Beta = the same as alpha but more stable.

Gerrit507

This ought to be a joke right? Are really explaining what a alpha and beta is? Jesus...

There is a pre-release version of kodi Leia called Alpha1! See it as a somewhat like a final nightly build. It at least brought me some peace of mind because it was running very well. Now I'm again on the hit and run from nightly to nightly, because already having issues with the latest nightlies. This was why am upset. Why are you just dropping support of pre-release version only to have the latest nightlies supported? Instead of implementing it right, probably 1min more work, and support both?

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-v18-leia-alpha-1

Oh BTW here is a smart guy: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/issues/133

Having the same proposal like me but is getting ignored.

Edited by Gerrit507

sualfred

The nightlies are breaking day by day. The Alpha1 has nothing to do with a "final nightly build". It's nothing more than an older snapshot for the public for testing and "marketing" purposes.

Nightlies are always experimental and should not be used as daily driver. If you want it stable, use Krypton. And if you want it really stable and snappy: Don't even use a ATV or Android lemon device. 

Sorry, but people like you are killing the fun on development. We owe you nothing. Most of us don't get any single buck for our work and we spent uncountable hours of our lives in our spare time for it.. 

One rule always applies:

It's open source. PR's are welcome. So please stop complaining and just do it better and improve it if you have a good idea. 

Someone should close this thread. The issue has been fixed.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

Gerrit507

What should I say then? I contributed to emby myself. Only because I expressed criticism here, I'm getting attacked by all sides and treated like a dummy who doesn't what's an alpha version is.

And yes I will make a PR for it this night.

feerlessleadr

thanks i have tried that... but it seems the android installer does not let me choose, it arbitrary downloads what i have chosen on first time download, but i will uninstall and install the addon again and ill try.

i will leave a reply.

try deleting the addon's folder in the addon_data folder in your user profile (located within the .kodi folder on your mibox). I think that should re-set the addon to default. 

Gerrit507

I agree. When you use an updated version of kodi this could be difficult though. As kodi keeps the old dbs. We'd therefore would have to implement something like a for loop, which has a certain range and saves the filename with the highest number.

Angelblue05

Sure, pull request are always welcomed. But that would not stop the new code from breaking. Let's say they move the tag table around (they did), then what? It loads the database and still breaks because the code is set to put the tags in the new place. It just doesn't solve the problem in the end. Am I suppose to maintain four versions of the same code because no I'm not going to do that.

In the end, it's not supported by the add-on. When it hits RC, then it will be or at least on it's way. Since it's unsupported, I expect you as a user to set kodi to manually update. This way you can control when updates happen, after you are aware of the changes.

Edited by Angelblue05

Gerrit507

What do you mean by moving the tag table around?

Every kodi version has it's db versions

https://kodi.wiki/view/Databases#Database_Versions

And even if they change the table again, it will break again with both implementations. My PR gives the user the possibility to install Alpha1 instead of Alpha2 Nightly. This was the whole reason for that. The addon worked with Alpha1 , you don't need to do anything, why just dropping it? And we're back at the beginning...

Edited by Gerrit507