HDHomerun will not release tuner when IPhone closes Emby App

topdavis

topdavis

When an Android phone connects to the Emby Server using the Emby App and turns on Live TV, after closing the app, the HDHomerun tuner still believes the tuner is active.  Restarting the Emby server releases the tuner that is in use.  I have attached screenshots to show the system status while this is happening.

post-302008-0-46989100-1528168401_thumb.jpg

post-302008-0-48940800-1528168412_thumb.jpg

post-302008-0-10300400-1528168421_thumb.jpg

post-302008-0-16265600-1528168433_thumb.jpg

post-302008-0-45324300-1528168446_thumb.jpg

post-302008-0-76727600-1528168455_thumb.jpg

How are you stopping video playback? Are you using the back button inside the app to stop video first, before closing the app?

topdavis

The back button is not being used inside of the app whether it is iOS or Android.  In my original post, I said Android phone, but I meant iPhone.  the Android based devices release the tuner no matter how the emby app is closed.  This only happens with iPhones.

Edited by topdavis

speedingcheetah

Actually, I have had this happen, somewhat frequently, on Android. Especially with External Player enabled. I use MX Player Pro. back out or stop playback of live tv, it still uses tuner, even when app is closed out. Sometimes, it will release it if i play another channel, then close out, or will just use the 2nd tuner. Its random. 

I just go in to app and restart Server after I am done streaming via phone,(if nothing else is going on that is), that makes sure tuner gets released. 

External players are different. We're not able to get notified of when it closes. I would not suggest using them for live TV.

topdavis

I'm not using an external player.  I'm using the Emby application.  I have not experienced this problem on Android based devices as of yet, only Apple Phones using the Emby application.  The Emby server reports the start and stop of the Apple device watching Live TV, but the tuner will still hold that channel and other devices will see that tuner as in use.  The same Apple device can open and close channels and eventually lock all three tuners by itself.  It just doesn't seem to be closing the connection to the tuner.

topdavis

Any ideas why this happens.  Would there be a way to make sure the tuner connection is closed?  Could the Emby server proxy a disconnect to the HDHomerun tuner for the connection the user is using?  I'll also post in the Silicon Dust forum to see if there may be a solution.

Ok, I can confirm. we're looking into resolving this for the next release of the app, thanks.

• Like 1

speedingcheetah

External players are different. We're not able to get notified of when it closes. I would not suggest using them for live TV.

Then would it be possible to have a setting in the app to only enable External Player for local media files (not Live TV)?

Edit: and I have had the built in Emby player not always release tuner before, But I can not reliably reproduce it.

Edited by speedingcheetah

I would think so. You might want to make a feature request topic about that. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
topdavis

Also, I THINK when the Apple phone does not release the Tuner, the transcoding file in the temp directory just keep growing and growing.  I have to stop the Emby server delete the file and restart.  I am not 100% sure the Apple phone is causing this, but the temp file seems to get as large as 150GB by the time I need to delete it for space.

• 11 months later...
jayw654

I'm having the same issue as the person above but and using Emby server beta 4.2.0.20 and the issue still exists. I'm not sure if this is just phones that are the issue but I'm very annoyed this issue isn't resolved. Yes, I'm using the Emby app with Emby server on all devices.

This is resolved for the next release of Emby Server. If you press stop inside the video player, then the tuner is closed immediately.

If you just close the app without pressing stop, then the tuner will be closed within 1-2 minutes.

• Like 1