mutosan

mutosan

As there is no Topic under Apps I opened one here.

Day by day there are more Sailfish users and it would be appropriate now to develope an App for it. Android is not a way to go as isnt iOS.

Sailfish is more secure and far more usable as Android and iOS togheter.

As far as I heared, cant tell myself, its not complicated to programm on Sailfish and I think the Sailfish SDK is even free to use:

https://sailfishos.org/develop/sdk-overview/

Many thanks

mastrmind11

Cool.  Let us know when you have something ready to test.

mutosan

you kidding right? I have no programming expirience and hens I dont have the time for it. So I would suggest someone with enough expirience get into it.

That was the meaning of my post.

ShadowKindjal

If you think they're going to drop everything and switch to Sailfish on a whim you may be a little delusional. You're talking about a small team of programmers with a lot of priorities. I'm sure they'll consider your suggestion but if you want to see any real progress right now it'll require some work on your end. If you don't have the experience then you will simply have to wait. 

mutosan

oh man and all the time the same evational answer. I mean you are delusional so please keep such things to you. I just opned the thread and did not mention ANY time frame. But it would be time finaly to work on it instead of bringing new features all the time. For such new "features" the team seams to have ENOUGH time. So there is someone wieredness in your answer. And for the record. I opnend such a thread allready about 2-3 years ago. So dont talk like this to me that I am not patiant or that I did not wait. The thread seams even to have been deleted.

Edited by mutosan

mutosan

and by the way, if you have not informed yourself. Jolla with Sailfish is next to Android and iOS the third OS on mobiles, which is still there after a few years. All others are just trying.
It was even there before Alexa and for that device your small team did program the needed things prettry quick. So your answer is pretty obsolete.

Edited by mutosan

Hi, thanks for the request. We try to get ourselves on as many platforms as possible. We'll keep an eye on this one to see what user adoption looks like and if it's something we'd like to take on. thanks !

mutosan

now worst case zenario. I cant use emby android app anymore because it does not run properly and I dont know why yet, I cant use emby over the jolla browser. So now it is pretty anyoing as on the road and at work I have no other devices. Deleting cache of the browser did not help. And a big reason for an App on Sailfish would be, that I can avoid that stupid Google trash, which is just tracking me for nothing.

Edited by mutosan

mutosan

I dont have any google service installed. never wrote that. So im still with a not usable emby app. I wonder why it does not work anymore. It did appart of sending all the time whats playing.

Edited by mutosan

mutosan

found the browser problem. over emby.media the login workd fine but not directly over my ip at home. which used to work about 2 or 3 days ago

mutosan

well if I go over my ip:8096 nothing is loading anymore. As mentioned I cleaned cache of browser already. If I go over emby.media and login all is loading fine. But it could also be that my Firewall/Gateway is not working right. but than again emby.media has to go the same way :-) As soon as I got enough time I will check it.

And the App on my Sailfish mobile never worked correctly. Thats why I requested a native one.

Edited by mutosan

WilhelmStroker

I dont have any google service installed. never wrote that. So im still with a not usable emby app. I wonder why it does not work anymore. It did appart of sending all the time whats playing.

You said:

"

And a big reason for an App on Sailfish would be, that I can avoid that stupid Google trash, which is just tracking me for nothing."

So my suggestion was to download the apk from the emby website as apparently Sailfish allows you to sideload Android APKs. 

mutosan

You said:

"

And a big reason for an App on Sailfish would be, that I can avoid that stupid Google trash, which is just tracking me for nothing."

So my suggestion was to download the apk from the emby website as apparently Sailfish allows you to sideload Android APKs. 

Which DOES NOT imply or mean I have it installed. Dont assume something ask first.

Edited by mutosan

mutosan

You said:

"

And again, thats what I did and its the same. It does not mather but since a year or two the performance and quality of the emby app is not well. It does not run well on Fairphone 2 and it does nor run well on Sailfish. It did run OK on Nokia 6 but also there the studdering problem was coming up.

Edited by mutosan

WilhelmStroker

And again, thats what I did and its the same. It does not mather but since a year or two the performance and quality of the emby app is not well. It does not run well on Fairphone 2 and it does nor run well on Sailfish. It did run OK on Nokia 6 but also there the studdering problem was coming up.

You never mentioned that you already side loaded the app and my crystal ball is broken today....

And why would Emby invest dev cycles in an OS that is supported on only 1 phone and that likely has an even smaller market share than the dead windows phone. Plus, given that Sailfish allows side loading of apks, why would there be a need for a native app? 

mutosan

oh man how I love people who just bashing around instead of helping. True I never mentioned that I did that but maybe because i installed that yalp store so I might have to reset the phone to properly test it. I dont want to reset it all the time to test such things properly. One phone? Maybe you should inform yourself first, before you write something. They already sold over 25000 devices and it is growing. Especially now, where Sony is opening their bootloader. So why dont you leave

that thread because you are not helping at all.

Why native? Because sideloading not always works and you get get more out of it if it is native but it seams you have no logic at all so there is no wonder you asking such a question.

mutosan

and your right. Windows is dead now for the third time and Sailfish is still there next to Android and iOS. So why the heck are you mentioning windows at all??

WilhelmStroker

and your right. Windows is dead now for the third time and Sailfish is still there next to Android and iOS. So why the heck are you mentioning windows at all??

Because WP's market share was too small for app developers to start developing apps for it. There has to be a certain ROI for app developers to invest time and money in developing an app, and given that there were less than 1.5M non android and non iOS devices shipped in 2017, your 25,000 devices are probably not worth investing time and money in for a small team like Emby.

There's no bashing here, all people are trying to do is to give arguments as to why it might not be feasible for the Emby team to develop an app for Jolla. 

mutosan

But why the heck bring up something, which was cleared out in the upper part of the thread? I allready mentioned that I did not ask for it to speed up or that it has to be done in a few weeks or so. Nealry suggested to look into it because Sailfish is still in the market and is growing. There is no need to go over and over the same things again.

Edited by mutosan

tdiguy

Just looking at the marketshare data i think the number of devices running jolley might not even hit tripple digits.

well even 5% market share would be worth it but i can't imagine they have much, do they?

tdiguy

From what i saw for market share for mobile os's it was 7% of other which included jolla, lineage and a couple others. Maybe jolla is growing but i can see why there aren't many places making apps specifically for the OS. Right now the best thing the devs at jolla could do would be to activly work with devs to license apps on their platform and do much of the heavy lifting in that regard to attract people to the platform, but honestly i would imagine soon its going to be just droid or apple and it will likely be in similar poroprtions to the mac / ms fight.