Duplicate Channels - One Tuner

snodrog742

snodrog742

I have 3 sets of the same channels but only one tuner set up.  How do I remove the duplicates? Duplicates are not in the m3u file.

post-113517-0-38860800-1528066602_thumb.png

post-113517-0-68668500-1528066614_thumb.png

snodrog742

Are there any channels in the m3u with the same tvg-id?

No.  I did though as we call it, the "Emby Dance" by removing all IPTV, scanning/refresh guide, restarting, scanning/refresh guide again, re-adding IPTV, scanning/refresh guide and all seems good again.

• 2 months later...
snodrog742

Is it normal to have duplicates of channels with two tuners?  Exact same channels.  Can they be combined to only show one and Emby then chooses the available tuner when starting to play?

maegibbons

What type of Tuner?

For HD Homerun Tuners you can have multiple devices and only one channel in EPG.  Emby will choose a free Tuner.

In terms of IPTV sources currently emby does not group the same channels across multiple providers and probably wont for the forseeable future.

You have to have multiple instances of the same channel shown in the EPG to be individually selectable.

The nirvana would be "grouping" of sources under the same channel number with a priority order of availability that emby chooses from.

Krs

Mark

snodrog742

What type of Tuner?

For HD Homerun Tuners you can have multiple devices and only one channel in EPG.  Emby will choose a free Tuner.

In terms of IPTV sources currently emby does not group the same channels across multiple providers and probably wont for the forseeable future.

You have to have multiple instances of the same channel shown in the EPG to be individually selectable.

The nirvana would be "grouping" of sources under the same channel number with a priority order of availability that emby chooses from.

Krs

Mark

That's kinda what I figured.  It's an m3u tuner.  As before, was hoping one icon and Emby could just use the next available tuner for second, third, etc. stream.  If you have multiple people and multiple tuners, I can't really say "Choose the third duplicate channel icon" to someone.  :(

maegibbons

If its the same channel Emby should channel share between multiple users.

Krs

Mark

snodrog742

If its the same channel Emby should channel share between multiple users.

Krs

Mark

post-113517-0-48072300-1533762533_thumb.png

Exact same channels but two separate logins from same IPTV service results in this.  If I click first icon of one channel and start playing and then do same thing on separate device it doesn't default to open tuner.  I feel like this used to do so.

maegibbons

Why Have you got two logins?  Speak to your IPTV provider anfd get Multistream for multiple channels on same login.  I can stream 4 channels simultaneously on Mine.

Krs

Mark

• 6 months later...
pir8radio

Is it normal to have duplicates of channels with two tuners?  Exact same channels.  Can they be combined to only show one and Emby then chooses the available tuner when starting to play?

Vote for this feature here: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/70409-pool-multiple-m3u-iptv-tuners-no-double-or-duplicate-channels/?p=705555

Just isn't the way they do it...

Chances are you could find an alternate provider with better service as far as multiple logins with the same or more channels.

snodrog742

Chances are you could find an alternate provider with better service as far as multiple logins with the same or more channels.

I'd love to know what you think is "better" service since you have no clue my current level of service.  Wow.

You didn't quote everything I said: "Better service as far as multiple logins".

That will not be hard to do as many allow up to 5 streams at once.

Channels/stations available and reliability is another story that would need investigating.  

But if you are going to want to record/watch multiple shows at the same time you'll need this ability. The more streams, usually the better (all else equal).

snodrog742

Channels/stations available and reliability is another story that would need investigating.  

You just contradicted yourself.  Just stop embarrassing yourself, please.  Sad.

Edited by snodrog742

Before commenting about someone else embarrassing themselves you should make sure you're following along and understanding what is being said.

You are presently trying/wanting/needing to load multiple M3U files with different credentials that all have the same channels.  This is the only way you can presently get multiple logins from your current provider.  That just isn't going to work well with Emby as there is no built in way to combine these.  DVR functionality won't like it, it's going to be brutal for users, etc..

Thus, I suggested trying to find another provider that allows for more simultaneous logins.  This is not hard to do as a couple of the best known offer 3 or 5 simultaneous streams.  You would need to see if a different provider offers the same channels you presently need.  If not then you have a decisions to make.  You could of course use a different provider for the bulk of the channels with 3 to 5 streams and keep (1) of your present provider packages and remove the duplicates if needed to get "all your present channels" assuming the new provider is missing any.  Probably cheaper and will work far better as far as Emby is concerned.

Only you can know what channels you "need" or "must" have.

No contradiction at all.

Edited by cayars

snodrog742

Before commenting about someone else embarrassing themselves you should make sure you're following along and understanding what is being said.

You are presently trying/wanting/needing to load multiple M3U files with different credentials that all have the same channels.  This is the only way you can presently get multiple logins from your current provider.  That just isn't going to work well with Emby as there is no built in way to combine these.  DVR functionality won't like it, it's going to be brutal for users, etc..

Thus, I suggested trying to find another provider that allows for more simultaneous logins.  This is not hard to do as a couple of the best known offer 3 or 5 simultaneous streams.  You would need to see if a different provider offers the same channels you presently need.  If not then you have a decisions to make.  You could of course use a different provider for the bulk of the channels with 3 to 5 streams and keep (1) of your present provider packages and remove the duplicates if needed to get "all your present channels" assuming the new provider is missing any.  Probably cheaper and will work far better as far as Emby is concerned.

Only you can know what channels you "need" or "must" have.

No contradiction at all.

You told me I could get the same or more without having any f***ing idea what I already have.  Just because a provider offers more streams it doesn't mean they have the same or more channels, once again, contradicting yourself.  As I said, stop being an embarrassment.

Spaceboy

I think Cayars knows what he’s talking about. If you want a solution in the short term, that is it. All the potty mouth in the world isn’t going to change that

• Like 1

snodrog742

I think Cayars knows what he’s talking about. If you want a solution in the short term, that is it. All the potty mouth in the world isn’t going to change that

Congratulations.  He doesn't. There, said that without "potty mouth".  Happy?

Spaceboy

Congratulations.  He doesn't. There, said that without "potty mouth".  Happy?

i am happy actually :) i have an iptv provider that allows up to 5 streams

how about you?

• Like 1

snodrog742

i am happy actually :) i have an iptv provider that allows up to 5 streams

how about you?

As before, number of streams doesn't mean quality or include channels needed.  Thus, the whole contradiction of @@cayars posts. :)

As before, number of streams doesn't mean quality or include channels needed.  Thus, the whole contradiction of @@cayars posts. :)

Again, there is no contradiction in what I or Spaceboy have said. You're either not reading what's we've typed or interpreting something differently then what was said.   I'll try one last time before bailing on your thread:

Forget everything said prior and concentrate on what I'm saying here. This is more spelled out.

1) Emby does not presently combine channels from multiple M3U sources (or same file).

2) Emby will not presently allow you to record from "ABC" and "CBS" at the same time from the same provider if each account is single stream ONLY.

3) There will literally be no way to EASILY setup multiple recordings from your IPTV provider if they only allow 1 stream per login UNLESS you are very careful and:

A) can live with multiple channels for the same stations in your EPG

B) take extreme measures you MANUALLY setup all recordings making sure the first recording uses a channel from the first login while recording 2 uses the channel from the 2nd login IPTV list

C) that no one is watching live TV from the provider at the time of a scheduled recording.

Unless your recording needs are very basic like one channel at a time then managing this will be brutal in the current system.

HENCE, knowing how Emby presently works (not how we'd prefer it to work):

What's been suggested is to find another provider that allows multiple streams (assuming it's good/reliable). There are a bunch that would meet this criteria and are very good.

1) You could use this new provider for all the COMMON channels you get from your current provider.  Just remove these entries from your current provider and use the new one that allows the multiple entries.  This will immediately likely solve the issue of duplicate channels.

2) Use your current provider for ONLY the channels you can't get otherwise.  By eliminating all the common channels you can get with a different RELIABLE provider you will have a much smaller channel list of 1 stream only channels.

Money aside for 2+ providers this would DEFINITELY HELP your situation.  You would be relieving your current provider of the bulk of the channels which they would have in common allowing you to use your current provider only for the channels that aren't available elsewhere.  Chances are this won't even cost more since you're all ready paying for multiple accounts.

Yes it's more work to source the providers and set this up but worth it in the end.  I've got OTA, Cable, IPTV and a new service in testing that I can't talk about yet all blended in Emby and usable in one system with my own priorities set.  Yes, it's not an easy setup but with only IPTV, the use of xTeVe can greatly help to filter out dupe channels and turn them off (on your single stream provider) as well as change channel numbers to your liking so like channels are all shown together in Emby.

xTeVe can be used to pull in EPG from current providers (if you have them) or you could get your EPG from strictly Emby's built in EPG provider.  I've got 8 different sources in my system if that's any indication of complexity to get the EPG I need for my channels.  I can and do record more then a dozen simultaneous shows/movies routinely so I know it works (for me and my users).

No one has said you could switch providers outright and be happy. What we are trying to offer is assistance in what we know works with Emby and help to OFFER a solution geared to your environment.  You haven't said who you are presently using, what Geo location you are in or anything like what type of channels you are most interested in (ie movie channels, sports, Indie, etc) so no one is suggesting any particular provider to switch to.  We could possibly help in this but right now there isn't enough info given to even begin to make any specific suggestion.

I'm certainly not trying to pick a fight or to argue with you over semantics, as I've got better things to do than that.  I'm offering to help or make suggestions if I can (maybe I can't).  If you don't want my help, then just say so and I'll leave your thread alone.

Carlo