Emby Server for Western Digital NAS

Luke

tafelpoowt

@@Luke

I have access to a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra now. I'll have a look in the coming days to port Emby to ARM based devices.

Would it be sufficient to port Mono to get started?

I've also got a python version of mksapkg in the pipeline to simplify the build process, more news on that later.

tafelpoowt

Unfortunately not arm64...

WD OS3 is debian based exists on 2 architectures:

- x64 in My Cloud DL and PR range

- arm7l in My Cloud EX range, Mirror, Personal, ...

And the new My Cloud Home (Duo) runs a completely different OS based on Android M on arm7hf.

Yes, but even more so for Western Digital than other devices but it is a separate package per device. It's different from Asustor for example, where we can use one package for all of them.

Just got a WD PR4100 and would like to try Emby Server on it. Is there something I can install manually or?

Plex came preinstalled and runs pretty well but we do have our preferences.

Françoise

Within the last few releases, something broke subtitle playback. When streaming to a Chromecast ultra, enabling subtitles, now results in intensive stuttering. I have tried unticking "* subtitles on the fly". Playback still stutters.

Edited by Françoise

Within the last few releases, something broke subtitle playback. When streaming to a Chromecast ultra, enabling subtitles, now results in intensive stuttering. I have tried unticking "* subtitles on the fly". Playback still stutters.

Please see how to report a media playback issue. thanks.

• Like 1

Françoise

Problem solved. I suddenly remembered that last I had a problem, it was fixed by uninstall, server restart followed by emby app reinstall. Nothing is lost. Nothing needs to be restored, and everything works. Perhaps it would be feasible to have an app, post-update-restart clean up script, to avoid the necessity of an uninstall, server restart, and reinstall, upon every update?

Just a suggestion, it doesn't take long to perform the steps. Though, it would probably make sense to document that those steps are necessary for a successful update on the pr2100.

• 2 weeks later...
Dragonsire

@@Luke

I have access to a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra now. I'll have a look in the coming days to port Emby to ARM based devices.

Would it be sufficient to port Mono to get started?

I've also got a python version of mksapkg in the pipeline to simplify the build process, more news on that later.

Anything come of this? Have an EX2 running plex...hoping to make the switch some day....

@@tafelpoowt We looked at this a while back and I don't think there is a mono runtime on WD, right? That means we'd have to build the whole runtime ourselves and embed it into the package. That would be huge in size.

tafelpoowt

@@tafelpoowt We looked at this a while back and I don't think there is a mono runtime on WD, right? That means we'd have to build the whole runtime ourselves and embed it into the package. That would be huge in size.

@@Luke I've created a mono 5.8.0.10 runtime this week based on the synocommunity build with the WD toolchain.

It works fine for Duplicati, see here and here, but I was not able yet to combine it with Emby due to some libsqlite3 errors.

If you could show me some documentation to pair synocommunity's ARM build with Emby's mono build, that'd be great.

I intend to create a separate package for Mono and then the Emby package could simply depend on it.

tafelpoowt

Thanks for clarifying that the netframework zips work for mono.

Yesterday I made a derp mistake on the My Cloud Ex Ultra box of my friend, kind of breaking it and I need physical access to fix it... which won't happen any time soon.

TLDR: no errors available now.

I'll have a look at those other libs.. shouldn't be too hard.

richwphillips@yahoo.com

Are there any plans to add Emby to less expensive cloud NAS options? I have a 5 TB Seagate Personal Cloud NAS that came with Plex already on it. I think WD has a My Cloud line as well that isn't as pricey as the options I've seen that you have it available for downloading on at this time. The one thing I do like better about Plex is not having to have my computer up and running to stream videos since it's installed on my NAS. In order to run Emby, I have to keep my computer on. Thanks.

richwphillips@yahoo.com

Thank you very much, Luke. I always appreciate how quickly I get responses on this forum. I understand you have 1000 things to try to do with limited time and resources so I truly appreciate what you and the rest of the Emby crew do. Is there a link I can go to at any time to see all NAS devices that you have a download ready for (beta or otherwise) so I have an easy place to check to see if a download is available for my existing NAS or any NAS I'm considering purchasing in the near future? I don't want to pester you on this forum if there is an easier and less intrusive way to check the status! Thanks again.

richwphillips@yahoo.com

Got it. And thanks again. I'll keep checking that link from time to time to see if my NAS gets added. Keep up the great work!

Dragonsire

@@Luke I've created a mono 5.8.0.10 runtime this week based on the synocommunity build with the WD toolchain.

It works fine for Duplicati, see here and here, but I was not able yet to combine it with Emby due to some libsqlite3 errors.

If you could show me some documentation to pair synocommunity's ARM build with Emby's mono build, that'd be great.

I intend to create a separate package for Mono and then the Emby package could simply depend on it.

Well that sounds promising... 

Hello

just installed Emby on my WD pr4100. i addd libraries and it doesn't make my movie covers and description for more then 80 percent of my files.

i added a folder 4K which has 10 files and only 2 were done, the others have a picture of the movie in it.

when i tried free trial on my mac it created for all of them. now I am a Premiere member and installed on my WD and it doesn't work.

any thoughts? is it the install for pr4100 the problem?

thanks in advance.

Hello

just installed Emby on my WD pr4100. i addd libraries and it doesn't make my movie covers and description for more then 80 percent of my files.

i added a folder 4K which has 10 files and only 2 were done, the others have a picture of the movie in it.

when i tried free trial on my mac it created for all of them. now I am a Premiere member and installed on my WD and it doesn't work.

any thoughts? is it the install for pr4100 the problem?

thanks in advance.

Hi there @@joepogy, can you please discuss an example? thanks.

sure

i have been re-scaning all night and it still doesn't provide covers. i checked settings, i refresh (it always tells me its in queue) 

here is a screen short of how my library looks like.

f.y.i files are all properly named 

post-410876-0-61346700-1548003029_thumb.png