Client reporting freezing and stutter's even with full transcode

ButtoxDany
Go to solution Solved by ButtoxDany,

ButtoxDany

You may want to start looking at VPNs or different ISPs.

Totally willing to pay for VPN, but want to make sure that fixes the issue. Any decent free VPNs that might work for testing purposes. I know most free ones  are pretty crappy from what i've heard. 

Happy2Play

Mobile test ran like shit. Might honestly just be my carriers fault, i'll do a remote test later when my client returns. LAN connection seems to work fine if that's relevant. 

Is your LAN test direct playing or transcoding?  

ButtoxDany

Is your LAN test direct playing or transcoding?  

Transcoded it, forced it down to 1080p 5mbps so it would transcode. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Transcoded it, forced it down to 1080p 5mbps so it would transcode. 

Everything seems to point to ISP/external network, but it seem a little odd that lowering bitrate provides same results.  I can understand horrible quality, but not same freezing and stuttering.

Guest asrequested

Totally willing to pay for VPN, but want to make sure that fixes the issue. Any decent free VPNs that might work for testing purposes. I know most free ones are pretty crappy from what i've heard.

Some of them have a free test period, but you can just pay for one month. It's pretty cheap. I'm using Torguard.

Guest asrequested

Everything seems to point to ISP/external network, but it seem a little odd that lowering bitrate provides same results. I can understand horrible quality, but not same freezing and stuttering.

If the ISP throttles below what emby has set the bandwidth to, I would expect playback to be very disrupted. How much, would depend on how much the bandwidth is lowered.

ButtoxDany

Apparently when i had my remote user set the quality to AUTO it was atrocious. He couldn't even read the text on screen or make out the letters. 

Also any special configuration needed for running a VPN alongside emby? 

Guest asrequested

Apparently when i had my remote user set the quality to AUTO it was atrocious. He couldn't even read the text on screen or make out the letters.

Also any special configuration needed for running a VPN alongside emby?

Yup. You'll need to port forward through them, too. I made a little guide for Torguard, but other services will likely be different.

ButtoxDany

So when you ran your tests, what did you set the bitrate, too?

I'd be interested in that Torguard guide. The settings for PC playback were 1080p 5mpbs. My mobile device was set at 720p 2mpbs.

• Solution
ButtoxDany

Me and my client were able to watch two movies without any freezing or stuttering whatsoever. The only difference being that i ran the server behind a VPN this time.So i guess for the time being the issue is resolved. Guessing it had something to do with my ISP throttling me. Which is weird, because with the VPN my speeds were cut in half (still plenty for streaming) but in the end it ran just fine.

Edit: Thank's to everyone who gave me suggestions and way's to test what was going on. Thank's Doofus for help setting up the VPN! 

Edited by ButtoxDany
  • Like 1