Reload version of Emby Server Windows without losing data

CarlosLima

CarlosLima

Hi, I have version 3.4.1.0 on my Emby Server, but as it has playback problem on Android and Chromecast, I managed to go back to version 3.4.0.0, but in this previous version the same problem persists.
I have a friend who is using version 3.3.1.0 and his Emby Server is perfect on Android and Chromecast playback.

My question is ...

Is it possible, in any way, to install this version 3.3.1.0 without running any risk of losing data, especially with user accounts ??

Thank you very much for an accurate tip.

CarlosLima

Thanks for the prompt reply, but there is no solution. I have participated actively in this forum and as far as I could understand, the current beta would have already fixed the problems, but I use stable version and I am having problems with several users that can not use the system.

I thought about installing the old version, which is perfect, but I consulted just for having the fear of losing data, but the answer is frustrating for me.

There is a release date of the next stable release.

CarlosLima

I thought of an alternative to my case.

Is it possible to completely remove my Emby Server and install a new Emby Server, version 3.3.1.0 ??

Although I re-register all my users manually and have to re-create all my collections.

Edited by CarlosLima

Senna

I'm on beta channel and my Emby server on Win 10 platform is located at :
C:\Users\Senna\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system

When Emby is updated, it makes a dump of the previous system folder to:
C:\Users\Senna\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system.old

So when a beta version is released and I experience issues which affects my user experience or Emby clients capabilities, I just revert back to a previous version of Emby, (which I know that it works for my demands), by shutting down Emby server and deleting the "system" folder and renaming the "system.old" to "system". I always backup most "system.old" versions and store them elsewhere with server version in filename, when testing new beta releases, so I can revert back to which ever Emby server version I want.

In my setup I have all media metadata saved to NFO and until now I haven't experienced any problems testing new beta releases and reverting back to an old previous one, with libraries and users.

For example, I just updated my 3.3.1.12 beta server to 3.4.1.10 for testing purposes and after testing I shutdown Emby server, made a backup of "system" folder of 3.4.1.10 and reverted back to 3.3.1.12 again, just by deleting the 3.4.1.10 "system" folder and replacing it with my backup of the "system" folder of 3.3.1.12. After that I reverted back again to 3.4.1.10, just by deleting the "system" folder again and replacing it with my backup of the "system" folder of 3.4.1.10, instead of using the update functionality in Emby.

Story short, you can revert back and forward, just by replacing the system folder, as long as you do a check after each jump if all Emby server settings are still in place.

On my Emby server I have disabled "Automatic updates", under settings, so if you want to update Emby server or before you make a back of "system" folder, make sure those "Automatic update" settings are disabled. I also only update the server through "Scheduled Tasks", instead of selecting "Update now" button.

This is only the process of doing it. What this doesn't tell you is if there might be compatibility problems created in doing so. For example, the new update might introduce database or configuration changes that the old version will not be able to handle. That is why we don't officially support this.