[BETA] Emby with Alexa (French)

Angelblue05

Angelblue05

Emby with Amazon Alexa

What is Alexa?
Amazon Alexa is a cloud-based voice service, so it is always getting smarter. Ask Alexa to play music, hear the news, check weather, control your smart home, and more.

The Emby Skill enables users to get information about and control playback of their media library on any Emby compatible device. Once you have succesfully linked your Emby account to Alexa, you can start playing your favorite movies, TV shows on your devices with your voice.

Get started
The skill is currently only available in English US/UK/CA/AU/IN. If your Amazon Alexa app is in a different language, you will need to change it in the Alexa app under Settings > Alexa device > Language.
Users will also need Emby Connect to link their Emby account to Alexa. To help with testing, send me your Amazon email address by private message. Once your Alexa account has access to the Emby Skill, you will need to link your Emby account. Emby with Alexa requires Emby premiere.

Emby connect: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Emby%20Connect
In the Amazon Alexa app or the website: http://alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html

Skills > Your Skills > Emby > Link Account

58fd8d3a8680b_Instructions_small.jpg

Changes

• The long awaited option to playback on Alexa audio devices is now available!
  • The invocation name has been changed to Emby home (m. b. home). This should remove any difficulties we previously had invoking the skill.
  • Sending play commands to a player other than the default player. The change was necessary to drastically improve title recognition.
    Previously: "Play Supernatural on Emby Theater."
    Now: "Play Supernatural on another player."
  • Left to do: Prepare translation, Video player
  • The skill is supported in English US/UK/CA/AU/IN. I am working on making the strings available for translation soon. It's just a bit more complex since multiple strings can be used to say the same thing. Thank you for your patience on this. :)

Audio player controls

This feature requires your server to be secured with ssl encryption. I wrote a quick tutorial to help you setup for free. Otherwise you'll find more tutorials on this forums. Self-signed certificates are not supported for this.

​Ask Emby home to play music. Specify "on this player" or "on Alexa" at the end of your request to skip the player selection and playback on Alexa.

Play some music on this player.
Play the artist Adele.
Shuffle the album We are not alone.
Play the song Coming Home on Alexa.

It is very simple to control playback.

Alexa, Next
Alexa, Previous
Alexa, Pause
Alexa, Resume
Alexa, start over
Alexa, loop (This is to repeat the currently playing item. Loop off to turn off)

New

Titlte being recognized all weird? Add it to the list. The changes are picked up instantly.

https://goo.gl/forms/VgUty6pcSYOPfZH33

Help translate

If you want to translate the project, you'll find the project hosted on our OneSky translation app. If you have any questions, send me a message. These are public projects, so create an account if you don't have one and start translating here:

alexa, internal strings

Please let me know if you experience any errors. Within your Alexa app, you should see your history, where it is easy to confirm what Alexa thought you said. This helps pinpoints where things went wrong.

Thank you all. Let's get this done.

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 4

Angelblue05

To clarify - This is a brand new skill because Alexa does not allow to change the invocation name once the skill has been published.

To test it out, you'll need to PM me your amazon email (unfortunately, Alexa does not allow open invites beta).

Once beta is over, Alexa will suppress the live skill with this new version. Thank you for your understanding.

Edited by Angelblue05

popy

@Angelblue05: Thats exiting news!!!!! Thank you a lot for your efforts to close the gap between emby and alexa

Sad that amazon couldn't or dont want to bring such functionallity.

PS.: Any news on the german translation of your emby skills?

I have translated a few strings back a few months.

Any news?

Thank you

pOpY

Edited by popy
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

We'll have to go over them once more. I am still thinking of a way to change the alexa structure into an easy translatable format/for back and forth translation. Stay tuned.

• Like 2

Angelblue05

Says you can't accept more private messages :(

Thank you for making me aware of this. Should be ok now.

DGMayor

I'm having no luck with anything.   Per the app, it thinks i'm saying n.b. home every time and isnt' doing a darn thing.   The one time I got her to answer as emby and asked her to play an artist, I got:

Null SpeechletResponse
Emby
Request Identifier: amzn1.echo-api.request.a54e0264-e8e2-47e2-bd91-5d2fc46a17aa

The SpeechletResponse must not be null

Voice feedback
Alexa heard: "play the artist underworld on this player"

Angelblue05

I'm sorry you are having difficulties. Let me look at the log.

Edit: Are you able to train your Alexa? If it doesn't reach the skill then it won't trigger it. Does recognition improve if you move closer to your Alexa device?

Edit 2: I see the error when trying to play an artist. I am fixing it right now. Should be fixed now.

Edited by Angelblue05

DGMayor

Getting there.   

Emby home Emby

Say the number you want.

1. Underworld.,

2. Underworld with High Contrast & Tiësto.,

3. Underworld with Mark Knight and D. Ramirez.,

Then I said 1

Null SpeechletResponse Emby

Request Identifier: amzn1.echo-api.request.8e182454-10ae-4bdc-9e5b-63b9b20b8eed

The SpeechletResponse must not be null

• Alexa heard: "one"
  • Voice feedback

DGMayor

Possible to customize the invoke name?   90% of the time it thinks I say n. b.  :(

Angelblue05

@@DGMayor

Your server is returning no players available. I will correct the error but it will not fix your issue. What is the player you want to use?

If your locale is US then you should be able to train your Alexa to understand you better. In the Alexa app, settings > Voice training.

No it's not possible to customize the invocation name, it's not something Alexa offers. I've posted on the Alexa forums yesterday. I'll let you know once I get a reply about getting Alexa to better understand you. I really don't understand why Alexa is giving you trouble, the invocation is basic. m. b. home. I followed their guidelines and it's not a made up word anymore (which it previously was when we were using emby)... :(

Does it improve if you move closer to the Alexa device?

Edited by Angelblue05

DGMayor

I've trained it in the past.  I'm sitting a foot away (it's on my desk).   

Alexa heard: "ask m. b. home to play the artist underworld on alexa"

then it asks which artist 1 2 3, I say 1, and then it tells me it couldn't find any players that I'm logged into.   My Emby Server shows me logged into the active device Alexa as of 1 minute ago.

Angelblue05

Audio player controls

This feature requires your server to be secured with ssl encryption. I wrote a quick tutorial to help you setup for free. Otherwise you'll find more tutorials on this forums. Self-signed certificates are not supported for this.

I'm looking at the logs and your server is reporting http with port 8096. What is your remote access shows on your server dashboard? (don't actually tell me) but if it's not https then you can't playback on Alexa.

You can change that behavior in the emby dashboard > advanced > Secure mode. Restart your server, then in the Alexa app, disable/enable the skill and go through the account linking process to update the url saved to your Amazon account.

If your url is secure then it will allow you to select Alexa as the player.

Edited by Angelblue05

DGMayor

so I have it set up with 8096, but I also have a reverse proxy set up for HTTPS which can be accessed via a subdomain (emby.mydyndnsname.com) vs mydyndnsname.com:8096..

Angelblue05

I see. You need to have your server report your remote access as HTTPS. This is what Emby connect sees. It's ok if you don't want to have it permanently set to that, just as long as at the time you complete the account linking process in Alexa, it communicates/saves your HTTPS url to your Amazon account. After that you could switch back if you wanted.

All emby apps are compatible with HTTPS. You should be ok with using your reverse proxy for remote access.

I use reverse proxy - My secure mode is set to "Handled by reverse proxy". Then in the external domain spot I have my cname. emby.mydomain.com with public HTTPS port set to 443.

Edited by Angelblue05

DGMayor

Alright, I'll take a look.  I literally set up the reverse proxy yesterday in preparation for testing this ;)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I'll be here if you need help. I went through the process recently myself.

• Like 1

DGMayor

I retrained my voice.  No matter what I do, she thinks I'm saying n. b. home and nothing works.

Angelblue05

wow... and I don't know what else to do here. Still waiting on a reply on the Alexa forums.

I have other users testing and have no issues triggering the new invocation name. I've never myself had Alexa hear n. b. home since I changed it either. Voice activation is challenging, but this is really out of my control. All I  can do is define the invocation name. I can't add onomatopoeia.

More training. I trained my Alexa for two weeks. A little bit every day. At least it's something until I get a reply from Alexa devs on how to improve this for you.

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@@DGMayor

Try different words. Open m. b. home. Begin m. b. home. Start m. b. home. Find one that works best for you.

You can also say for example Open m. b. home AND {do something}.

What are you trying to say precisely when trying to invocation name?

Alternative launch words:

Talk to <invocation name> and <some action>
Open <invocation name> and <some action>
Launch <invocation name> and <some action>
Start <invocation name> and <some action>
Resume <invocation name> and <some action>
Run <invocation name> and <some action>
Load <invocation name> and <some action>
Begin <invocation name> and <some action>
Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

arrbee99

Still think it should be memby or something. Sounds a bit daft but mem-bee sounds safer. Pretend its short for My Emby.

Angelblue05

People have to remember that. And then there's the phonetics in other languages. Not good. Then who's to say she doesn't hear menby or some weird thing. Alexa does no allow one word invocation anymore anyway.

Google home is already set with Emby home (m. b. home) and the invocation name works well. Plus DGMayor didn't reply yet. Maybe a certain launch word makes Alexa hear n. b. home. Trying other words might help, it did for some people in the previous beta testing.

• Like 1

DGMayor

@@DGMayor

Try different words. Open m. b. home. Begin m. b. home. Start m. b. home. Find one that works best for you.

You can also say for example Open m. b. home AND {do something}.

What are you trying to say precisely when trying to invocation name?

Alternative launch words:

Talk to <invocation name> and <some action>
Open <invocation name> and <some action>
Launch <invocation name> and <some action>
Start <invocation name> and <some action>
Resume <invocation name> and <some action>
Run <invocation name> and <some action>
Load <invocation name> and <some action>
Begin <invocation name> and <some action>

Saying things like - "Alexa, ask M B Home to play the artist Underworld"  or "Alexa, ask M B Home to play the artist Underworld on this player" or "Alexa, ask M B Home to play the artist Underworld on Alexa"

I edited my url/port/security settings as we talked about before and re-connected the skill to my server, but now it just always reports that there are no players.  I don't even get it to ask me which Underworld anymore (side note maybe artist search should be Album Artist?)

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yes I just need to re-add the album selection when searching for an artist.

I'll check the logs and let you know.