MPC as External player help

dimitrik

dimitrik

Hi all,

I really like the new Emby theater desktop app (running it on Win 7), but I am having a problem with using MPC-HC as an external player.

I have MPC HC set up the way I like, with Remote Control mappings, MadVR upscaling, refresh rate switching etc, so I'd rather not change to the internal player just now.

I use the following parameters in external players:

{path}

/start

/fullscreen

/play

/close

When I try to play a video, ET minimizes, MPC-HC opens fullscreen but then nothing happens - no playback, nothing. It seems like MPC-HC starts but does not load the file.

MPC-HC works fine as an external player to the Emby-WMC app.

Can anyone please help? 

Edited by dimitrik

daedalus

first of all

/start 

is missing it's parameter

what you want is

/start
{ms}

cause {ms} is also a parameter and following ET confusing commandline implementation, it has to go into it's own line

or simply remove /start completely, it's basically useless cause the devs can't manage to implement this properly

Edited by daedalus

dimitrik

Thanks. I will try it although I'm fairly sure I’ve already tried it before.

By the way the same configuration works fine on my win10 desktop, so I’m not sure the {ms} parameter will make the difference.

Anyway, so this should be

/start

{100}

Is that right?

daedalus

no you have to literally write {ms}, this value will be filled by ET if there is a resume point

dimitrik

Tried it but it didn't make a difference. MPC starts but does not load the file.

I made MPC display its play list and next to the file name, it says INVALID.

I am guessing it has to do with how ET passes the network path to MPC, rather than the parameters...

Jdiesel

I have used both http and SMB paths with MPC as an external player successfully. In fact I use both remote and network paths for different libraries at the same time.

I don't use any arguments in the ET external player config, just {path}

Everything is setup in MPC itself, start in fullscreen, exit when playback stops, etc. I've had not issues doing it this way.

Edited by Jdiesel

dimitrik

Yes same here.

As I said it works fine on my Win10 machine, but not on my win7 HTPC.  On this machine it works fine for Emby WMC.

Maybe you can work with mpchc to try and get a helpful error message.

dimitrik

Ok, so the most bizarre thing happened.

Since I wasn't havig much luck with mpchc, i decided to try mpc-be, so i added it, configured it for all file types except 3D and effectively "disabled" mpc-hc by enabling the 3D filter.

MPC-BE worked fine but I decided to abandon it, as I don't know how to configure it as well as MPC-HC. So I reversed the setting: 3D "on" for BE, "off" for HC, everything else identical.

And then out of curiosity I tested MPC-HC again and it worked! I honestly have no idea how that could be possible! I cipy pasted the config parameters so everything was the same.

Maybe changing the settings forced them to be re-written to the registry or something similar? Anyway the good thing is that now it works.The bad thing is that I can't track down the cause of the problem to help anyone else that might one day have this problem...

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your advice!

Edited by dimitrik

• 9 months later...
lightsout

Hi all,

I really like the new Emby theater desktop app (running it on Win 7), but I am having a problem with using MPC-HC as an external player.

I have MPC HC set up the way I like, with Remote Control mappings, MadVR upscaling, refresh rate switching etc, so I'd rather not change to the internal player just now.

I use the following parameters in external players:

{path}

/start

/fullscreen

/play

/close

When I try to play a video, ET minimizes, MPC-HC opens fullscreen but then nothing happens - no playback, nothing. It seems like MPC-HC starts but does not load the file.

MPC-HC works fine as an external player to the Emby-WMC app.

Can anyone please help? 

Care to share exactly what you put in the command line area? And in the path do you just have the path to the exe? Doesn't matter what parameters I enter I get the same error.

post-4065-0-45789200-1553015246_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
RDHoworth

Hi,

I have not seen any response to this that sorts out the problem. I am suffering with exactly the same issue, but cannot find a solution. Has there been any progress that I have missed?

RDHoworth

I have already seen this, but this does not stop the error, and I cannot use MPC-HC as the external player. I think that I still need this to use MadVR. I have read the comments regarding using the internal player for HDR, but HRD settings in Windows are still problamatic

RDHoworth

Surely there must have been an answer to this question, but I cannot find it.  I have also tried KMPlayer, with exactly the same result. I have tried all the parameters from this thread including just {path}

Has anyone got the external player working on version 3.0.9?

Guest asrequested

Oh sorry, the OP was Win 7, but that isn't you :)

I haven't tried this in a while. I'll have to experiment...

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

A few more tests and I can't get it to play anything. And this is directly in the app itself. It's already annoying me. It's a piece of crap, anyway.

• 4 months later...
RDHoworth

Hi,

I have fully rebuilt my server, and retried this from 2 PCs, but have exactly the same issue. Has Emby stopped supporting an external player? I still cannot get this to work, and so cannot play back HDR films on a Windows PC.

Regards, Richard

RDHoworth

Added the full path and just {path} to the command line. I have also tried adding:

{path}

/start

/fullscreen

/play

/close

I have also tried other players supported by MadVR, e.g. MPC-BE. 

Nothing works