Emby on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS using Webmin/Virtualmin

adelphiaUK

adelphiaUK

Hi. I'm new to Emby and I have everything up and going except for one thing; I would like to integrate it into my own domain as a sub-domain using Webmin/Virtualmin.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS server with the latest version of Webmin/Virtualmin and a main plus 7 sub domains (including Emby). However, if I create a site using Webmin/Virtualmin it creates an Apache site and as a result is not functional with Emby. The site must be HTTPS and I have now configured the Emby server's SSL (using Let's Encrypt) but if I enter the sub-domain using HTTPS it defaults to my parent / holding domain which is simply that, a holding domain with no functionality except a simple "Offline" page.

I can tell you the domain and sub-domain here but before that I want to make sure that it's OK to post private domain names in the forums.

Is there a way to "move" the default installation into a pre-created structure which I use for my sites without messing things up or are there configuration files I need to change in order to accomplish this?

I keep reading about nginx on here and also reverse proxies but I'm not sure if that's what I need to do or whether a simple move / reconfiguration would be adequate.

Sorry if this sounds simple to some but to me in my current state and wisdom (currently on long term sick which unfortunately effects my mind and how I can or can't explain things) I'm finding it hard to comprehend how I can go about doing this. 10 years or so ago this would have been a doddle but these days I'm afraid not so well;.please be gentle with me.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope someone can hold my hand and lead me up the correct path.

Chris

pir8radio

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for any response he may post.

I am not familiar with Webmin/Virtualmin  why not just use nginx? is there some features or cool things Webmin/Virtualmin does?

adelphiaUK

I am not familiar with Webmin/Virtualmin  why not just use nginx? is there some features or cool things Webmin/Virtualmin does?

Absolutely. It's a full control panel which is used to configure all web based settings including (but not limited to) MySQL, Databases, SSL, Mail server etc. I will see if there is a method to convert from Apache to nginx using Webmin/Virtualmin but not having used nginx before I may get a bit stuck ;)

mastrmind11

Absolutely. It's a full control panel which is used to configure all web based settings including (but not limited to) MySQL, Databases, SSL, Mail server etc. I will see if there is a method to convert from Apache to nginx using Webmin/Virtualmin but not having used nginx before I may get a bit stuck ;)

There's an nginx module for webmin.  But even if there weren't, it's pretty simple to set up from the command line, and how-to articles all over the google.  Highly recommended.

adelphiaUK

There's an nginx module for webmin.  But even if there weren't, it's pretty simple to set up from the command line, and how-to articles all over the google.  Highly recommended.

The trouble with the nginx module is you have to remove Apache and install nginx before installing any sites / hosts. As I have 8 Apache sites already configured, there's no way I'm going to change to nginx now; unless of course you know a 100% way to guarantee full transfer, functionality and compatibility?

I have a post on the Virtualmin forums too as I've managed to get it to work but just not to port 443; I have to use redirects to the default port I use which really is only a cosmetic issue now in the address bar.